selected and current files highlight

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

I'd like to see a simple new option for the file display.

I'd like for the names of selected files to be displayed in a different color. (blue, for example)

I'd like the bar highlight to be used as an indicator of the active pane and current file. The bar highlight is what my eye naturally follows, to indicate "where I am".

When the "bar highlight" is used to indicate selected files, it confuses me as to which pane is active. I have tried and tried to get used to this, but this method of highlighting always confuses me and causes me to make harmful mistakes when using 2xExplorer!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

unfortunately i can't control the way windows list control draws selected items, but i feel that the present system is fine

* active view is visible from it's title bar colors; also it's selected items are hilighted with a brighter colour

* inactive view the opposite of all these

* the focused item in each view has a dotted rectangle around it

i have found that if one plays with windows colour schemes (desktop | Properties | Appearance) the inactive pane hilighted items can become so pale that they are barely visible. Although I find this a drag personally, you may take advantage of it for a clear cut discrimination of active/inactive panes
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

I'm with Nikos here. I know this "colour scheme" from WinCommander and I don't like it that much.

But I'm curious where your problem lies. the highlighted file in the active pane is dark blue. The one in the inactive pane is grey. Can this be confused? I follow the blue bar naturally with my eyes, too, but isn't it always in the active pane anyway?

BRX
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

BRX - it depends on the Windows color scheme that you're using.  With the "bar highlight" used to identify selected files in both the active pane and inactive pane, if one is using the "bar highlight" as the cue for the active pane (which for some reason I tend to do), then one can get confused.  I can't tell you how many times I thought I was performing an action in one pane, when in fact I was acting on the other pane!  Then, of course, I have to find a way to undo the damage I did.  That's why I like a bar highlight for the "current pane/file", and colored text to show selected files.  Nikos does have a point, it is possible to choose color schemes to minimize the confusion.  For example the bar highlight is bright blue in the active panel, and pale beige in the inactive panel - in my current color scheme!
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

active view is visible from it's title bar colors; also it's selected items are hilighted with a brighter colour
This is not happening in Win NT4: Just hover the mouse over an item in the non-active pane, and it takes up the highlighted item (rich blue) colour, and the previosly selected item in the active pane becomes grey. (ie, the items in both panes switch their colours.)

(I have selected the "single-click activation" option.)

Just today I was wondering why the ALT+C command was not working on a "highlighted" item, and found that I was actually trying to work in the non-active pane!

I think jimspoon has a point there..
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is not a color issue, you've discovered a bug!
it seems that single-click activation steals the focus but 2x doesn't get notified

d@mn, we'll need a new build now!
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Well, you have promised us some new feature "if a new bug comes up"! :turn: