New help file download problems

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

When I have tried to download the new help file through Netscape (v4.7), it fisrt of all gave me a screen dump of the code. When I have righ clicked on the link and told it to save it to disk, the file downloaded, but then I was unable to view it because it came up with an application error in hh.exe. However this link works fine in IE.

I also noticed that there are a few keyboartd shortcuts missing, will there be an update?

One more thing, attachments don't seem to be able to be veiwed properly in this forum using Netscape. Not everybody likes using IE, how about a bit of though for Netscape users :-)

Still by far the best app I have used.I don't use a PC without it now.
Vas
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i used to be a netscape fanatic but the guys lost the "wars" and the plot, it has to be said: intermittent crashes, format inconsistencies etc. Why on earth should it make such a mess of a simple file download? -- or perhaps there's some download manager to blame?

IE is slow sometimes but i found that using the Security options, placing URLs in "trusted regions" with full javascript and all the other internet kept with most things disabled, it's not too bad for a surfing experience

for your questions on this forum, Sal is the most appropriate person to respond
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I also noticed that there are a few keyboard shortcuts missing, will there be an update?
Let me know which shortcuts are missing (You can list them all in this thread itself; or send me a message. )

If you meant the menus/shortcuts/buttons for the built-in editor, I have not included them at all. They will get covered in the next version. So, if you had these shortcuts in mind, just wait till the next version comes along (next week).

Another thing is- Nikos keeps ahead of me in adding features; so the CHM file trails the exe file by a few minor versions as of now. We will find a way around this, too. :thumbup:
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Nikos, I hope you don't mind me suggesting another (knowing your keyboard fondness I thought obvious) alternative to IE. The current versions of Opera (now 6.05) beat the crap out of IE (IMHO, but also in the opinion of a growing group of users).

*Especially* if you're fond of using the keyboard over the mouse.

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

>I hope you don't mind me suggesting another alternative to IE

of course i don't mind!  :)

but last time i tried opera (can't remember the version but not long ago) it felt "wooden" and slower than Netscape 6x (the undisputed sluggishness king), especially when opening links in new windows.

netscape 4.7x was really fast but then again it was also fast to GPF too!
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Well, give it another try if you didn't intend to anyway. IMO it's 2xExplorer's equivalent in the browser-world.  :D

Check out the shortcuts (or if you use the mouse the mouse-gestures) and a lot of other little features you don't want to miss again. And it still advertises (relatively undisputed) as the world's fastest browser. So I can't imagine why it was so sluggish when you tried.

BRX
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

I cannot stand Microsh$te. Their policy of substandard software and hiked up prices for OS's that don't perform as they should, really riles me. Unfortunately, I work for a company that is going down the MS route. I try to stay away from MS as much as possible. Long live Linux, I say.

Anyways, rant over. I found six omisions from the help file, in the Misc commands section.

Root: Shift + Backspace
Network: Ctrl + N
Desktop: Ctrl + Backspace
Parent: Backspace
My Docs's: Ctrl + K

Great help file BTW.
Vas
Lokiman

Post by Lokiman »

Thanks, vserghi.  Those are great.  Wish i had known them
a long long time ago.