dual pane and synchronization
52%
usability: keyboard/history/persistence
20%
internal editor/viewer & thumbnail preview
2%
batch file generator & addressBar command execution
4%
advanced file management (split/shred/hard links)
2%
selection engine, wildcards etc
2%
layout management
2%
folder data command
2%
find files/folders & find in files command
2%
small program size & resource use
12%

Total votes: 50

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

We've never had a poll before on this forum and I was kind of curious how these things work. Now we do have one!

I tried to break down 2xExplorer features that distinguish it from explorer and other file managers. Please vote for as many of those that make your day and use most (I hope the system will allow you to vote for more than 1 option)
[ P.S. it turns out that you can't vote for more than 1 item at a time, but you can vote many times to cover all your favourite things ]

If there's something else you consider an absolute killer issue that's missing from the above list please let me know -- but only if it is what defines 2x for you. First try to match it in one of the 10 categories mentioned. We don't want to wander around too much.

Your responses will help me figure out my priorities for xplorer2 development. If this works we'll have another one with new features you most want to see in the future.
PhilipSutton

Post by PhilipSutton »

Dear Nikos,

I tried voting early and often but the system will only let me vote once.  What kind of democracy is that??

Cheers, Philip
Philip Sutton
Australia
http://www.green-innovations.asn.au/
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

unfortunately the poll logic has proven too stringent for anybody's liking. Looks like some extremely scrupulus agent is overseeing the voting process so that we won't have travesties like Iraqi elections :)

not too much help for democracy... i'll talk to Sal to see if this setting can be changed. In the meantime its just one vote per head, so use it for your absolute #1 feature.
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

Howdy Folks.

The poll only allows one vote.  I guess the thinking behind that was to prevent people form voting many times, which would not give you a true user base opinion.

I think it is possible to change it to allow people to vote as many times as they like but then the results of the poll would be meaningless.

You may consider having several polls to get the desired feedback.  At least that way you will know that the results are meaningful.  :)
washingtonfan

Post by washingtonfan »

besides the obvious merits of the dual-pane interface, 2xExplorer has become my favorite program (seriously!) because of the multitudinous options. It's one of the main reasons I don't switch to Mac OS. I especially like that basic file management choices not only have icons but also easy-to-remember keyboard shortcuts. I also REALLY like the favorite locations hotkeys - too bad their are only 6 available.
Washingtonfan
Dwukwiat

Post by Dwukwiat »

Wouldn't it be reasonable to have a multiple choice poll? That is, you would be able to vote only once, but you could choose several options?

Just a thought. ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that was the original plan but unfortunately it has proven technically infeasible. Perhaps it will get better in the next version of the forum
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

I do not want to get off topic since this is the 2x forum and the matter of the poll is a feature request that is related to the new board. All of the suggestions that I received are good and a few of them are available in the new board, others will need to be hacked into the script.

Anyhow, I think it would be more appropriate to discuss the new board in the main general discussion section.
Your comments are more than welcome. Click here to go there!

BTW, I love 2x because it has dual panes and it’s cool. :cool:
PhilipSutton

Post by PhilipSutton »

Hi Nikos,

When you do a new poll, could I suggest that you ask people to specify what they think the key features are in text messages and then you can pull out the unique items and we can all vote on them.  This hopefully overcomes the limitations in the number of key features that you've picked out and the way that you have grouped or expressed them.

For example, one person offered the view that it is the feature richness of the program that appeals.  That doesn't appear on your list but it might be a key issue for lots of people.

On another matter........having multiple votes is really important and not irrational if managed properly.

I've been in workshops where people are given a fixed number of votes - but more than one.  For example you might get 5 votes per person.  You can then distribute them to options as you see fit.  Eg. you could vote for 5 of the options, at one extreme, or at the other, you could drop all your five votes on one option as a way of saying that it is really, really important to you.  This method works well, in my experience.  It might be worth building this methodology into the Ikonboard software.

(Sal, I'll also send this idea to the forum you mentioned.)

Cheers, Philip

Cheers, Philip
Philip Sutton
Australia
http://www.green-innovations.asn.au/
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well, for technical reasons this poll has gone to the dogs :)

when the new forum is installed, hopefully with more advanced poll settings, we'll have a proper crack at peoples' democracy