robust transfer stays open after copy

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

robust transfer stays open after copy

Post by jimspoon »

The robust transfer window frequently stays open after I do a copy.   The "Keep this window open at the end of transfer" box isn't checked.  

What's up with that?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you must uncheck the "keep window open" box found in the copy options -- before you start the copy
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

"Keep progress window open after the end of transfer" (Transfer options dialog) is unchecked.   I don't look at this dialog before every copy; I assume this option stays unchecked as a default?

Still, sometimes the window stays open after a copy.  (Lately, when I have been copying to \windows\resources\themes - if that could have anything to do with it.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

weird, do you have any skins and such installed?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

A long time ago that also happened for me.
I don't recall finding a sure-fre fix, as it wasn't especially reproducible;
but it hasn't recurred for a year (or more).  

I have a vague recollection of of a sequence of operations, after which the dialog box automatically closed all the time (unless errors were logged).
Perhaps something like:
changing the transfer options dialog to 'keep window open' ...
using it that way for a transfer ...
closing x2 ...
on next session resetting the transfer option to not keep window open ...
after which operation as expected.
[ no guarantees :shrug: ]
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

I have been using various Windows visual styles ... I installed the patched uxtheme.dll which allows me to use them.  I think I've also seen the problem when doing other copies, other than to the "themes" folder.

I should have mentioned ... when it stays open, the Robust Transfer window gives the appearance of not having successfully completed - even though the files were actually transferred.  The source and destination file names are still displayed.  Or, for example, one time it said that the transfer was 97% complete.  I just clicked the X to close the Robust Transfer dialog.

I will try your idea, Fgagnon - good suggestion!

I'll try to get more clues as to what is going on and report back here.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes, even longer ago I  (and others) also experienced (and reported) that the robust transfer box indicated less than 100% complete when, in fact all files had been transferred.  I believe there was a precision issue involved with that early release and that nikos fixed it years ago.

What version of x2 are you running?
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

My version is 1.6.5.3 Unicode.
Dhamu

Post by Dhamu »

I've had the lingering transfer box for many versions.  I use a multi-desktop program, XDesk.  Whenever I switch away from the desktop xplorer² is active on while a transfer is running, the transfer box won't vanish at the end of the transfer, but will still be there when I switch back to the previous desktop, showing ninety-odd percent done for the completed transfer.  The only way to banish it is to shutdown and restart x².  The annoying bit is that the box used to disappear properly.  I mentioned this in November 2004 when the annoyance started.  No playing with options ever made it go away again.
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

My Robust transfer window failed to close again.

Here's what it looks like.  Any clues here?  I notice that the C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes directory isn't listed in the error log - only the subdirectories of that directory - in other words the STARTING source and destination folders aren't listed - only the subdirectories are.

Title bar:
[98%\ Robust transfer - job #11 [Copy 13 item(s) to C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes]

From: C:\dl\uncategorized\NeoGeniX_by_dobee\NGX\NeoGeniX.theme
To: C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\NeoGeniX.theme

(progress bar shows 98% complete)

Estimated time left: (blank)
Transfer rate: (blank)
Files transferred: (blank)

Keep this window open at the end of the transfer - unchecked

Error log:

[Copy C:\dl\uncategorized\NeoGeniX_by_dobee\NGX\NeoGeniX >>> C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\NeoGeniX]
[Copy C:\dl\uncategorized\NeoGeniX_by_dobee\NGX\NeoGeniX TS >>> C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\NeoGeniX TS]
[Copy C:\dl\uncategorized\NeoGeniX_by_dobee\NGX\NeoGeniX LS >>> C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\NeoGeniX LS]
[Copy C:\dl\uncategorized\NeoGeniX_by_dobee\NGX\NeoGeniX Compact TS >>> C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\NeoGeniX Compact TS]
[Copy C:\dl\uncategorized\NeoGeniX_by_dobee\NGX\NeoGeniX Compact >>> C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\NeoGeniX Compact]
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's not that it doesn't close, it's that it reappears after closing in a funny state. I'm sure it's these skins you are using doing something funny

i'll put something in for the next release so tell me if it works or not
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you try this and see if it's sorted? (note it's a debug version)
www.zabkat.com/dbmon.zip
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

I am still using the skins (visual styles to be precise, using the patched uxtheme.dll) - and I've done several copies running dbmon and kenny.exe - but the robust transfer window is not staying open after a copy.  Maybe this debug version fixes the problem?   :shrug:
jimspoon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jimspoon »

nikos wrote:it's not that it doesn't close, it's that it reappears after closing in a funny state. I'm sure it's these skins you are using doing something funny

i'll put something in for the next release so tell me if it works or not
I think you may be right about the "reappearing" window.  I never notice that it "stays open"   Rather I just discover the Robust Transfer window and wonder where it came from.  I just assumed it was "staying open".

So far problem has not reappeared while running debug version.
Dhamu

Post by Dhamu »

The 1.6.5.8 Debug version doesn't change anything for me.  The transfer window doesn't close at the end if I'm on another desktop when the transfer finishes, and when I close it manually, it comes back whenever I go to another desktop and return.  But it's been this way for two and a half years, so I don't really expect it to go back to the old behavior.