Adobe PDF Plug In Listed at Top of Welcome Box Didn't Work

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

rumsfeld

Adobe PDF Plug In Listed at Top of Welcome Box Didn't Work

Post by rumsfeld »

I installed xplorer2 pro for the first time.

It installed without problems.

I saw the screen with recommended downloads and immediately started at the top with the PDF downloads.  Things went downhill quickly.

I downloaded the Adobe ifilt41.exe file.

The install would not complete.  It said the install required Windows NT 4.0.  I have Win 98 SE.  I thought there must be another version of ifilt41.exe for 98 but could not find one anywhere.  Knowing Adobe, they probably just removed it and left one for NT.

I found a file infilt50.exe and tried it.  The install bombed with a error 119, ComponentMovedata had the following error and referred to pdffilt.dll.  I had no such file on my system.

I tried installing infilt60.exe from Adobe. The program installed without difficulty.  In my experience with Adobe products, older ones consistently work better than newer ones.  I started not to even try 6.0.

At this point I have two alternative sets of symptoms.  With Adobe Acrobat, version 5.1. preferences, options, web browser options, display PDF in browser checked, when I try to preview a pdf document, I see only an small icon in the upper left hand side with two blue dots and one red dot.

With display PDF in browser unchecked, when I click normal to view a PDF document, I get a message þyour security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.þ  I have set all my IE security levels to low, turned off my firewall and proxy.  I am viewing only local pdf files.

I have set all my security settings to low, turned off my firewall, turned off my proxy, but always get this message.

Does anybody know what these symptoms mean?

Does anyone know there I could find a infilt41 that works with Win 98.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as the minimum requirements table shows, text filters require windows 2000 or later, so no 98!
rumsfeld

Post by rumsfeld »

After trying to install some test ifilters from the second selection on the welcome menu, my symptoms changed.

Once I was getting an icon on the normal view of pdf files with display pdf in browser off.

I left it off, but now I am getting a security settings do not allow download on pdf files and seemingly all other files.

I tried downloading the wordperfect ifilter shown on the corel site.  It crashed with  a really good message "the file c:\windows is in use and cannot be isntalled."  Then I found out it is supposed to already be in WP 12 sp2.  I have sp3.  However in quickview for wp files, I see binary in preview and the security settings do not allow message in the normal tab.

I am seeing what looks like really screwy results.  .bmp files give good images in preview and normal.  .jpg and .tif files give images in preview but a security message in normal.  .ico files show a good imge in normal but binary in preview.  .chm files show a blank page in normal but don't generate a security message.  .txt and .xml give good output in preview and normal.

All this makes no sense to me.

After checking the second link on the welcome page, it was less than clear what to do on the web page linked to.

I have to question the wisdom of putting some links and downloads on the welcome page for new users to stuff as flaky as all this.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i doubt that the pdf filter is the cause for all these observations
however, if in doubt, uninstall the filter (add/remove programs in control panel) and perhaps order will be restored (I doubt it)
rumsfeld

Post by rumsfeld »

I tried to uninstall ifilt60.  But like most of what I get from Adobe, it didn't work.  The uninstall stalled and would not complete, and I had no manual uninstall instructions.

I had a recent backup of my windows boot partition.  I restored that and then reinstalled xplorer2 with no problems.

Then I started xplorer2 again.

With draft preview of quick view, I got good images for  tif, jpg, png, gif, and bmp files, as before.

With the normal of preview, I got usually good images of bmp txt and xml files.  My results were not 100 percent consistent.

When I clicked on normal for quick views of pdf tif and jpg files, I got the same your security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.  

It seems to be working as it did when I had ifilt60 in.

What is going on?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if this ifilt60 filter plugin does not exist in your system any more then it is what i was saying all along: that it isn't the cause of your problems

which adobe reader version do you have installed? Try installing a recent one (eg v7 or later) which automatically offers the filter and may iron out your preview woes