Silver Member

Was there any doubt which was the best?

Post by RickyF »

I expected these results  :D
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

obviously i have a vested interest here but i assure you the results and tests are 100% genuine. All the compared programs are out there for everybody to reproduce the tests. This is exact science :)

if you can think of more objective tests just name them and i'll have a round #2 of the battle next week
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

No surprises for me, either. ;)

But I have a suggestion regarding the presentation of the Who gets it done fastest table...
Instead of hiding the reason for TC's "win" at the end of the second paragraph below the table, there should two rows added to the table indication the accuracy rate for each search for "pipa"
I will bet that most folks will just look at the table and not read the following words in full.
That is because TC can't find text in PDF and office  documents like xplorer² (and opus) can. So it's a empty victory, mere tomfoolery.
... or ...
Also show speed data without there being office docs or pdf's in the search range.  That would be a better comparison to TC for the limited set of file types that it does support.

... or ...  
simply give TC a FAIL grade and not a time because, it never finds all the files containing "pipa"
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'm sure there's going to be some plugin for TC to extend its functionality for office & PDF, these guys have plugins for everything. Then we can see how fast it is in equal terms
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

Congratulations, Nikos!
xplorer2 pro seems to fare really well against others :)
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Have you seen this Nikos? It's in the Help file for AcuteFinder.

Recommended tools

Through the years, we have grown accustomed to various tools for file and disk management, many of which function very well with AcuteFinder.  Some of them are listed below, along with a short description. All those tools are highly recommended and worth their asking price many times over.

· WinZip for handling of file archives, like ZIP-files.  Undoubtedly, the best of the breed in this category.
· ExamDiff from PrestoSoft to compare folders and files
· Hex Workshop from BreakPoint software for viewing and editing files in hex mode
· UltraEdit-32 from IDM Computer Solutions for editing of text documents
· IrfanView by Irfan Skiljan for viewing of image files
· Xplorer2 from Zabkat.com for folder comparison, super file finder and a lot more
· Diskeeper and Undelete from Diskeeper Corporation software, to defragment disks and to recover deleted files
· Norton Utilities and Norton AntiVirus from Symantec
· F-prot virus scanner from FRISK Software International

On our website, www.acutefinder.com, you will find a more details about these programs, and other programs that we recommend to all serious PC users.
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

How about a test where a directory is read which contains a big number of files (say 50.000 or more).

Interesting facts, time to read it, memory usage after reading, sorting on other criteria. And include windows itself (in the reading and sorting).

On our network we have some rather large directories and I'm always wondering what is the best tool to manipulate them. I'm using xplorer2 (what else), but the waiting takes sometimes a lot of time (time to get coffee.....).
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok, we can have a round 2 with more stats -- although i don't have a folder with 50000 items! Have you tried windows explorer in those network folders, is it faster than x2? Also make sure you aren't sorting on a "slow" column
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

nikos wrote:ok, we can have a round 2 with more stats -- although i don't have a folder with 50000 items! Have you tried windows explorer in those network folders, is it faster than x2? Also make sure you aren't sorting on a "slow" column
I'll try when I'm back on the network for some timings.  What is considered a slow column? I'll try several. Later more.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

slow i guess is whatever you find slow during use! Usually the explorer (non-stock) columns are slow, the furhter down you go the worse