beta build 165-10

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Sumoku

Post by Sumoku »

:oops: Oops! I got the debug version by clicking on "Ignore" in the massage box. Silly me!

Now let's see what happens....

The same thing! I was hoping for more.

Doesn't the debug version write a log-file somewhere?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this debug bundle you've just downloaded has a readme file, there are the instructions. Basically you run this "dbmon" before "kenny" and check the debug messages generated.
Sumoku

Post by Sumoku »

:oops: More embarrassment. A bad habit of skipping Readme files. I didn't even notice DBmon sitting there.

Alas, with no debug to file, it's not quite as useful as it might have been. Am I missing something? I captured an image of the DOS window, which I could send you, but I can't help thinking there should be a better way. I don't have the time or the patience to type out the debug text.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

checkout that readme file again :)
Messages will appear in the DBMon window; select everything (like in a DOS box: System menu | Edit | Select All), copy, paste and email to me
if there's anything interesting it will be near the end when the crash occured
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Sumoku wrote::oops: Oops! I got the debug version by clicking on "Ignore" in the massage box.
Nikos, can I have a build with a massage box too? :lol:
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
MegaZapFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MegaZapFan »

wasker wrote:...massage box...
Two.. Two... two puns in one!   :D
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side...
feralkid

Post by feralkid »

Just installed beta 11 over beta 10 and got this error:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.

the application event log showed:

Activation context generation failed for "D:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2BETA\xplorer2_UC.exe.Manifest".Error in manifest or policy file "D:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2BETA\xplorer2_UC.exe.Manifest" on line 29. The attribute UIAccess is not permitted in this context on element requestedExecutionLevel.

I don't know what they're for, or the proper syntax for manifest files, but I did edit the manifest file from this:
<requestedExecutionLevel
           level="highestAvailable"
           UIAccess="false" />
to this:
     <requestedExecutionLevel
           level="highestAvailable" />
and it started ok...
If UIAccess has to do with User Account Control, I have this feature turned off.

Thanks,
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i've been struggling with the manifest... looks like "highestAvailable" cannot be set and if it is then it doesn't work (or it fails altogether). I have a modified manifest here:
www.zabkat.com/xplorer2_UC.exe.manifest
feralkid

Post by feralkid »

The new maniifest is working fine for me!  Thanks...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it works, but it doesn't asks you to elevate to administrator, so i still have problems with people trying to enter the registration key :(
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

feralkid wrote:Just installed beta 11 over beta 10 and got this error:
Yup, same here. Solution: uninstall previous version and install new from scratch (registry settings shouldn't be deleted).

Also under Vista I had some weird "compatibility" error messages when trying to open a bunch of media files through the right-click.

PS.
Nikos, yeah, I upgraded to Vista finally, so if you need an alpha tester -- I can do that. :)
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks, whatever you can find in vista let me know
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

As promised, the test with 94500 files in a directory. But the files are local on my disk of the laptop. Not on the network. That takes so long (longer then 5 minutes) that I can't test it. This network is at work and I can't take more then half an hour to do several timings.

The timings are rather crude, only by using an watch.

So 94500 files in one directory. Alle files have a name like: Order received XXX 12345678 20070512-124543 (123445).XML The numbers are an identification, a timestamp and another identification.

I started this test after working an hour with my laptop, some emailing and internetting.

Started with xplorer2 in details mode (name sorted):
open directory: 58 seconds. This is the first time.
back to the previous directory and open again: 30 seconds.

To explorer (without closing xplorer2): 57 seconds for opening the directory in tiles view (name sorted). That is slow! The directory is already opened somewhere else.

Now for sorting in explorer. Switch to details: 4 seconds. Sort on date. 1 second, sort on name, 8 seconds, sort on type 4 seconds. Strange timings. How is explorer sorting? It is not the same algorithm?

Sorting in xplorer2? Sorry hard to measure. It not instantaneous, but all measurements are clearly faster then a second: date, name, extension. Does not matter.

Back to opening the directory again (both in detail mode):
xplorer2: 23 seconds
explorer: 22 seconds

Conclusion of this limited test: xplorer2 is faster in sorting and most of the times  faster in opening. The latter could be off course the effect of a cache.

Someone other suggestions for doing measurements? I keep the files some time on my laptop. The files are only 1 to 2 K big, so it is not really a space hog (207 Mb, 390 Mb allocated)

Some information on my laptop:
1.73 Ghz, 1 Gb memory. Windows XP Professional SP2.
60Gb disk, NTFS. Disk is optimized using Diskeeper (without rebooting), so the directory (56Mb in size!!!) is not spread out on the complete disk.
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks wim, i had no doubts that x2 would kick arse when compared to windows explorer :)