beep when opening zip file, why?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

dplaut

beep when opening zip file, why?

Post by dplaut »

Why is there a beep when opening a zip file.  I can turn this off if I uncheck on beep on warning but what is the point of a beep if I don't know what it is for?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Hello dplaut,

Welcome to the board!

The description of the warning or error appears in the status bar for about 5 seconds, after which the message should return to Ready.
you can retreive the last error message via Help | Last error.

As for why you are getting a warning on opening a zip file, I don't know -- maybe a local setting you have?  I get no such warning/error or beep on my system, running Win XP+SP2 and x2-Pro v1.7.0.5  

HTH
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

could it be that you have the tree set to autosynchronize with the active folder and the zipfolder is somehow not added to the tree? Do you have the latest version 1.7?
chgoguy7

Post by chgoguy7 »

I have the same issue and it's relly annoying. Every time I double-click on a ZIP file, it displays the contents of the file as expected but it simultaneously plays my system error sound. (I'm using XP.) I finally just turned off the "beep on warning or error" option. No error message displays in the status bar at such times. It simply states very quickly "Reading folder contents..." and then back to "Ready". However, I did as you suggest and selected Help | Last Error and it states:

The item(s) cannot be renamed.
Windows error = 5:Access is denied.

I am not trying to rename the ZIP file or any of its contents at these times; I am simply double-clikcing on the ZIP file to display its contents. I also have "Allow slow double-click to rename items" disabled. I only use F2 to rename items.

Any ideas? Thanks!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Welcome back, chgoguy7

It sounds like something you are doing is being interpreted as a rename request; although I don't know what it would be.  
What is the behaviour in windows Explorer?
Are you running an alternative shell, or anything else non-standard on your OS?
Does the issue occur when you r-click | open the zip-file?
chgoguy7

Post by chgoguy7 »

Thanks for the reply, fgagnon.

That sounds logical. I've tried to see if there is any other way that my actions might be interpreted as a rename request but cannot determine any likely causes.

I do not have any shell alternatives installed (although I do have WindowBlinds installed, which is a UI alternative). When I double-click a ZIP file in Explorer or right-click | Open a ZIP file in Explorer or in xplorer2, it opens the ZIP file in WinZip, as ZIP files are associated in Windows with WinZip.

I'll keep exploring other possibilities but if you have any other thoughts or troubleshooting steps, I'd appreciate hearing them. For now, I'll just keep the beep for warnings/errors turned off.

Thanks and by the way, xplorer2 is an amazing piece of software that I use everyday. Keep up the great work!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as i said the problem is your tree and your option to autosync it with the browsed folder. I'll remove the beep for the next version
dplaut

correct diagnosis

Post by dplaut »

If I turn off "keep synchronized w/ folder" xplorer2 no longer beeps on double clicking on zip file.  

Off course I want this feature turned on so I appreciate your working on it!  

Thanks for a great program.