Future Features - FTP client and ZIP/JAR archive support

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

zby

Post by zby »

Is that ever possible to add zip archives handling to the 2x Explorer without hacking the system? I use W2k and have no access to a machine with XP installed. Previously I was using the other file manager that supported ZIP/JAR/ARJ/RAR archives, displayed them as folders and could modify them (add/delete files in the archive). And this is one of the features I miss in 2x Explorer.
Also, I wish I had an FTP client built in to avoid using 3rd party tools. I know I am asking for much more I could be given for free but these are my suggestions, and you, Nikos, can ignore them or consider as feature requests from a happy 2x Explorer user.

Best regards,

Zby
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't think i'll ever have time to write my own zip/rar/etc code, not when solutions already exist. If you use 2000 then see FAQ #26. It's not a "hack"; you may consider it as installing an additional feature. I have been using zipfolders with 2000 for months without a problem.

The problem with that particular zipfldr.dll described in FAQ 26 is that it doesn't handle zip subfolders correctly, but only if you try to copy things there; for reading everything is fine

FTP again is not something i seriously consider implementing from scratch. But chances are that one of these days i'll discover how to integrate IE5x's ftp feature so that users can manage ftp accounts from xplorer2.

too many things to do and too little time unfortunately...
zby

Post by zby »

Thanks for you interest, Nikos. I'm hoping some day it'll be perfect piece of software, the 2x Explorer.

rgds,

Zby