opening a shellfolder in xplorer2 with command line switches

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

garbanzo

opening a shellfolder in xplorer2 with command line switches

Post by garbanzo »

i don't want to edit my registry to make xplorer2 the default file browser! i usually have it open anyway so it's not really the issue. instead, i am trying to set up two things:

1. i want the recycle bin link in my samurize config to open in xplorer2

2. i want the link to the control panel in my desktop right-click menu to open in xplorer2.

all links to regular folders in both my samurize config and in my menus work fine. just need these two. i tried using the standard switches with the CLSID for these shellfolders but no luck...

i know this is picky but i'm using a shell replacement in XP and want to avoid ever having to start explorer.exe on top of it.

any suggestions?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ 1. -
That's probably a samurize config issue

@ 2. -
I don't see control panel on my desktop r-click menu in XP, so I do not know what you are asking here.

but ... (since you say you usually have x2 open anyway) here's a workaround you might like: Just add those two items as buttons on your x2 toolbar!  (Get to them in x2 via the Goto | Special folders submenu )  ;)
garbanzo

Post by garbanzo »

gosh, i appreciate the info but you kind of brushed me off there...

as i said i'm running a shell replacement in XP - it follows that my right-click desktop menu is probably different than yours. in fact, it is fully customizable. i want to add a link to the control panel in said menu. and in samurize i want a link to the recycle bin using a command line switch, so it's not a samurize issue, it's an xplorer2 issue.

anyway i figured it out. here are the shortcuts if anyone needs them:

recycle bin:
C:\Program Files\xplorer2\xplorer2_UC.exe ::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

my computer
C:\Program Files\xplorer2\xplorer2_UC.exe ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

more here:
http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/CLSID-List.htm

by the way - why does xplorer2 use the CLSID for shellfolders instead of their usual names?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I'm sorry, garbanzo, I didn't mean for it to be a brush-off. :oops:
Please accept my apologies for that.

In fact,
a. I didn't read the subject line, so missed that you were seeking a cmd line line switch, and
b. for (2.) I tried to acknowledge that because our situations are different I didn't understand the question.
c. for (1.) not being familiar with it, I assumed samurize was your alt.shell because you did not name one.
d. I should know by now that when I am in a rush (as I was earlier today) that I should defer posting until I can take time to think about whether what I post may be interpreted as anything other than constructive ... unless it's obvious when I'm just kidding around. ;)

@ why x2 uses the CLSID vs usual names for shellfolders - That's for nikos to try and explain (again).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

these clsids are the "path names", whereas "recycle bin" isn't (think chinese :))
garbanzo

Post by garbanzo »

i know. but can't you, for simplicity's sake, just put a little interpreter in there that says 'if the name is ::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} then replace ::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} with 'Recycle Bin'

it'd be nice :)