pick your favorite feature

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

the killer feature of xplorer2 for me is...

robust transfers (F5)
46%
search engine (ctrl+F)
43%
duplicates finder
3%
folder comparison & synchronization
3%
mass renaming (joke!)
5%

Total votes: 37

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

pick your favorite feature

Post by nikos »

As you may know, I've no longer have a day job  :shock: and consider whether xplorer2 will be my main job from now on. I've got a few ideas, but to help me I'd appreciate if you gave me a hint which part of xplorer2 is the best for you. Only one vote allowed so pick your best!

thanks

ps i have intentionally omitted anything that has to do with browsing, bookmarks, selection etc; please select among those features listed
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

I voted for "search engine (ctrl+F)" but this was really tough as I use robust transfers heavily too!
MegaZapFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MegaZapFan »

For me, hands down, it's got to be the Robust Transfer.  I use this in some way every single day.

The abilities to pause transfers, continue on errors, perform as background, etc. are all features Nikos implemented that Microsoft SHOULD have implemented out of the box, without giving a second thought to it.  The fact that a big native copy bombs when one out of a thousand files is locked is ridiculous.  Microsoft should take many a cue from X2.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side...
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

For me SEARCH ;) Although I use robust transfer often, I don't understand what is advantage of it... To be honest, I only need those shortcuts for copy/move, not RT itself...

@ nikos: I did't know you don't have job anymore! Sorry to hear that!  :?
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

I honestly could not decide between “robust transfer”, “search engine”, and “folder comparison & synchronization” without being unfair to the two being left out. Should I put all three names in a hat and pick one out? Or should I try to sneak a vote in for each feature, but at different times?

Also as far as I am concerned, there are other “killer features” in xplorer²:

dual/multiple panes,
scrap containers,
user commands,
folder groups,
saved layouts with or without folder groups,
launch of saved layouts from the command line.

The Sort and Filter functions are very handy too.

Sorry to be such a spoilsport!
Cheers,
Robert
archie.lukas

Post by archie.lukas »

Dual panes and being able to copy between them

This is wonderful as i have three network drives, can never rember the bloody paths, they are very deep and full of dead ends due to silly other users.

So I suppose its copying - but thats not the killer app   :oops:
The layout and views are.

Suggestion for the future as you might develop X2 further.

I want to re-mame a whole pile of digital photos as to subject name, auto increment the file number and then auto move the files to a new location for storage all in one application. IrfanVview can do this, but ist not so elegant at times. (one can't see the target folder and it does not auto-refresh the originating folder. F5 resets the view and one has to scroll all the way down or it gets locked if too many images chosen)

eg:

DSC-10378946.jpg and a whole load of other photos
renamed to
jane scott-001.jpg through to jane scott-120.jpg

and moved to D:\ Images 105

then the origin and destination folders updated (fast) without re-starting the edit point from the first file in the folder, ie keep your place, so one can start on the next victim, I mean portrait.

I would love to do it in X2
Last edited by archie.lukas on 2008 May 13, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I really wanted two votes, but I cast my vote for the search engine, only because that's the the feature I would have the most difficulty working around if it were not there.
But the feature that would give me the most frustration not having (and did before you implemented it) is robust transfers.  MegaZapFan put it so very well in his post, above. :thumbup:
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Although I voted (the exact item is inconsequential as the list didn't include my favorites), the really, really important features are:

1. Folder groups! Every day, in every way - they keep me organized, help locate project specific files, and quickly manage project files.  I manage multiple system projects at a time, and our organization puts project related files in multiple locations on multiple servers.  Couldn't live without it!

2. Flatten - Locating the file(s) I need in the folder structure containing 35 folders in various structures is EASY, as long as I also have ...

3. Quick filtering (ctrl-H, ctrl-J) ... to locate ONLY the XLS's in the 2374 files in the scrap pane I created with Flatten.

Nikos, I wish you success and wealth whatever path you choose.  But mostly, I wish you find the path that makes you and your family happy!

Good Luck!
PJ in (sunny) FL

"The hardest thing to admit is what you don't know"
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks guys, I know you love many features with xplorer2, I am just trying to figure out which independent features you like the most. If you can think of something else on top of the 5 i mentioned, that could be a stand-alone application, let me know
archie.lukas

Yup, Graphics vewer, intergrated

Post by archie.lukas »

No need to switch to another program to view a graphcs file

rotation, re-size simple contrast brightness controls
and mass renamer and move /copy utility for filing.

Open one folder, name, sort, modify and transfer to another floder and then view the result.

I want it    :wink:
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

The duplicates finder.

Maybe I fail to see the real advantage of Robust Transfers ?

So did you work as a programmer ?
I'm hoping to get my MCAD certification soon so I can work as a .NET developer.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I too have two top favorites: Omnifinder and RT.

But I cannot think of any of these as a stand-alone application/feature. For that,  I'd choose off-line cataloging (WITH SIMILAR FEATURES AS X2).

This can also be thought of as a separately available addon (plug-in) for x2. For example, third-party addons are available for Winamp; which also have their own GUI for use as stand-alone applications (but with limited capability).

So in a way I am extending my favorite choice HERE (omnifinder) to removable media.

But the real power comes to the user when we view this as a knowledge-management tool, because it then requires more features that are suitable for this theme. For example,
* Search for different keywords in filename/path/contents.
* Attach searchable comments to each file in the search-result
* Create a virtual folder for each search-result.
* Save the search-conditions for each virtual folder automatically.
* Add more keywords to the tag of each virtual folder
* Add more items to any virtual folder at any later time
* Add more search-results to any virtual folder
* Arrange all virtual folders in a knowledge tree
* Club together related virtual folders (under a newly created node)
* Attach your own notes to each node of this tree
* Search this tree to locate items for a desired keyword.
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Search

Post by pschroeter »

Search, even though half the time the name of the folder I'm searching is out of view to the right in path in the Look in: box, and for some reason, for as long as I can remember, it defaults to Named: *.nri so I often have to hit the Clear button first. I also still think the number changing arrows are upside down.

It sure does a great job of finding files though.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Hi, Nikos
This might give you ideas.

Here is a posting recently made at news://microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

* How can I find specific documents by using the content? (The Translator) 12/05/2008 13:56:02

I have a large number of Word documents in a folder that are named according to job number.  I sometimes need to refer to an older document but can't find them in Word or PowerPoint 2007.  In the 1997 and 2003 versions, it was easy by using "Advanced search" in the "Open document" window, but I can't find a similar feature in the 2007 version.  This is costing me valuable time.

* JoAnn Paules 12/05/2008 14:05:40

Windows Explorer

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

* The Translator 12/05/2008 14:25:00

Thank you.  That works.  However, when the search produces a large number of occurrences, is there a way to have preview of the document to identify quickly which document (Word 97 was great for that).

* Suzanne S. Barnhill 12/05/2008 16:10:10

You can still get a Preview view in the Open dialog of Word, but getting to there from your Windows Explorer search results is a bit tricky, unfortunately. The best Windows Explorer (at least in Windows XP) can offer is Thumbnails, which are useless for Word docs.

Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

* The Translator 12/05/2008 16:44:00

Thank you for all the info.  Since I write 5,000-6,000 Word documents every year and some of them are repeated annually with changes, this a feature that I use quite often and, unfortunately it has become less user-friendly with each new version of Office.  Will installing an older version of Word/Office on my system affect the new one?  I like most features of the new Office but would really want to have that time-saving feature on my computer.

* Suzanne S. Barnhill 12/05/2008 17:52:28

I feel your pain. FWIW, I don't find the search in Word 2003 satisfactory at all and use Windows Search instead. In Vista, I gather search is turned over entirely to Windows, and the lack of any search capability in Word 2007 was apparently based on the premise that ultimately it would be running on Vista.

You can certainly install an older version, but I believe the recommended procedure is to uninstall the later version, reinstall the older one, then (if desired) reinstall the newer one, specifying a side-by-side rather than upgrade install.

Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as far as generic search is concerned, there are many things already available that joe average can use for free like copernic, google destkop etc. It will be hard job competing with them -- not that i'd be put off by it of course!

the reason xplorer2 is hard to sell is that it does too many things. That's why i want to produce on the side plainer more focused tools