Request: overwrite option when renaming a file

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

WHOA! Hold on guys! Can we think of a simple but effective user scenario?
Something that Nikos likes?
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Hmmm...something like this:
  • Intercept File exists dialog box
  • Present options to use:
    1. Replace file
    2. Don't replace file
    3. Rename file being copied
    4. Rename existing file
    5. Automatically rename file being copied, select both files and open multiple file rename dialog
Of course this gets a bit complicated because with XP, AFAICR, there was not an option to keep *both* files at all, whereas in Vista there *is* an option to keep both files (with Vista taking the high road and automatically renaming the file being copied)....

Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

What if xplorer² systematically sent all the files with namesakes in the target folder to a Scrap Container?

As I understand things, xplorer² "scrap containers" are "namespaces" meant exactly for the purpose of "disambiguation of items with the same name". Here is the WordWeb definition of "namespace" (http://wordweb.info):

"namespace (computing): an abstract container for various items; each item within a namespace has a unique name, but the namespace allows disambiguation of items with the same name that are in different namespaces".
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

My take on a "simple" GUI in case renamed file matches another file:

Before describing the scenario, I name the files as follows:

FTBR = File to be renamed
ENSF = Earlier namesake file.

When x2 finds a match, it pops up a small dialog box.
This box has two fields, showing FTBR and ENSF.
The focus is on the FTBR, because mostly the user will not touch the ENSF. The cursor blinks at the end of the FTBR (in anticipation of a suffix).

The box also has two buttons:
1. Replace (user wants FTBR to replace ENSF)
2. OK (After user renames one or both files).

The usual set of rules apply for naming (null not allowed; etc.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

good try narayan but i still find the user-manual-intervention the simpler way out in such rare occasions
Ian

Post by Ian »

Another idea, the dialog window if file already exists:

[______________]  [Rename existing file] [Rename file being renamed]
[Automatically rename file being renamed for this session]
[Automatically rename existing file for this session]

[Replace]  [Cancel]

The [___] is an edit box, user could rename existing or the target file in one step.
Session will be over if user go to different folder on that pane. Or it's persistent for specific directory. Automatic rename would add number, 1, 2, etc.
I think, it would be useful if copy and move have this dialog.
Just my 2 cents.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I like that, narayan.
and thanks, Robert2 for the term 'namesake' -
- so helpful in describing the request less ambiguously.

That describes a fairly simple GUI, dealing with exactly the two files in question,
although I prefer the terms:
CFBR = the current file being renamed
ECNF = existing conflicting namesake file
(technically both files may be renamed, and the existing file may not be earlier date/time-wise)

And it seems this format is self-limiting to two at a time:
If choose a different name for CFBR, then the first ECSF is unaffected, and ther GUI is updated with a new ECNF if one exists.
If choose a different name for ECNF if there is a conflict with that name then it becomes the CFBR (after the first CFBR is given the ECNF name) and the process would be repeated.  But it gets tricky here: the robust rename feature needs to assign a temporary unambiguous name (in the background) to the newly promoted CFBR before renaming the first CFBR.  If that is impractical, then x2 could announce "Sorry, that name is taken: please try another" which gets out of a potentially cascading situation. ;)

@ nikos - "in such rare occasions"
If it were a rare occasion for me (for us?) I (we?) wouldn't be asking.

@ Ian - "Another idea..."
That works too, and seemingly less complicated. :)
& that's an interesting idea to extend F5/F6 robust transfer options to choose renaming the existing conflicting namesake files (ECNFs) instead of the current files being transferred (CFBT).
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

So Nikos, which scheme should I put in the manual? :)
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

nikos wrote:good try narayan but i still find the user-manual-intervention the simpler way out in such rare occasions
It's definitely not a "rare occasion". :(
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
Ian

Post by Ian »

fgagnon wrote:... extend F5/F6 robust transfer
I have never used F5/F6 to copy file, just use ctrl-c-v or mouse. Is it possible to set normal ctrl-c-v and mouse copy-paste as robust transfer?
If the robust transfer has this CFBR and ECNF thingy, I would love to have it as default.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Ian,
The Robust Transfer F5/F6 functions are designed for copying/moving files robustly. Renaming of the file(s) being copied/moved is done only as an expedient to transfer the file(s) when there is a name conflict.
Basicly, you can can specify the following kind of options** in the Robust Transfer dialog box:
a. overwrite the ECNFs with the Current files being transferred (CFBT) or,
b. auto rename the CFBTs (append a number to the base filename) or,
c. skip** transferring the CFBTs which have conflicting names.
There is no option to rename the ECNFs.

** there is also "ask confirmation" and the 'skip' is more accurately described as Overwrite if newer, else skip
Ian

Post by Ian »

fgagnon, I think my question was not clear. I meant, I would like to have robust transfer as ctrl-c-v too, besides using F5/F6, as I'm more used to using ctrl-c-v than F5/F6.

There is software that could handle file copying called SuperCopier. With SuperCopier, user could set the buffer size with hope to speed up the file copying process and could also lower the speed (in case many applications are using hardisk, to prevent bad sector). If X2 could do this too and with possible future improvement, I would like to have robust transfer as default.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

robust transfer can be used for paste too, if you check the relevant option from the registry settings editor -- but not for drag drop

you can slow down the transfer if necessary, but the setting is not meant to be used for day to day operations, but to set it once and let it be, as you can see from this blog: http://www.zabkat.com/blog/17Feb08.htm
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Ian,
sorry, I misunderstood your question.
As nikos pointed out, it is already and option for Ctrl+C/V.  
Using the settings editor, under miscellaneous, check the option:
Perform Edit > Paste robustly (as with F5 command)
Note that this is not a global setting, so you should do this for each layout you have defined.

PS - I, too am a habitual Ctrl+C/V user for most everything else.
But I find for file copying and moving within x2 that F5,Enter (for copy) and F6,Enter (for move) is easier for me than Ctrl+c,tab,Ctrl+v because it saves a keystroke (or mouse-point-at-destination) and involves less fingers (ouch: arthritis :( ). :o
-fg-
Ian

Post by Ian »

Ah, apology is not necessary, dear fgagnon. Instead, I'm grateful for your info and helps. Till now my X2 works like a charm, thanks to you and Nikos.

Yes, F5+Enter is fast indeed... and healthier too.
However, to browse mostly I use the tabs (on top) instead pane. My pane alignment is vertical and I use tree pane, it is faster to browse & jump around dirs using tabs, instead 2 panes.
So, I operate X2 mostly on its left window side, where the buttons (back, forward, parent, etc.) are there too. The other pane is set on my projects or work dir.
Thanks for trying to convince me, fgagnon. I might change my working habit though, after I got a way to work comfortably and efficiency with 2 panes instead tabs.

Nikos, here is screenshot of supercopier2. With one click, the transfer window is expanded..
From this:
http://www.pc-fute.com/materiel/images/argosy/divx.jpg
To this:
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/9186/schf2.jpg
User could set the transfer speed or other settings easily. And it won't bother those that want to use the default settings. I think, it's quite nice and hopefully could give you some ideas for X2.