Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Reloading last path on x2 re-launch

Post by appyface »

Good Morning,

(I've searched the x2 manual and also here in the forum, but I'm pretty sure I'm not using good search terms to find what I'm looking for, so please point me to manual and/or posts if I missed, thanks!).

Before I exit my last instance of x2 that is running, if x2's path is pointed to a network share, floppy or CD drive, or other resource that may not be available next time I launch x2, I first browse to a local disk drive path before quitting the program.

However, I often find that my later launch of x2 goes to one of the previous paths, such as the network or other resource that is no longer available.  Pressing ESC doesn't seem to affect it, I just have to wait for x2 to time out (?) and get back to me.  On a slow link this can be quite some time.  

What do I need to do, to get x2 to remember the very last path I browsed when relaunched?  And/or how can I get x2 to accept a cancel request and immediately default to a local resource, such as c:\ ?  

I do my best to make sure x2 will be pointing to a path that it can open quickly next time it is launched, but I'm at a loss to explain why this isn't always remembered.  Ideas and info are welcome!

Thanks in advance and regards,
--appyface
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hello again,

If I'm not mistaken, you want X2 to remember the last directory you browsed, right?
I think you would only need to check the option "Save program state on exit" under Tools->Options->General tab.

But, probably you already done this as you wrote:
I often find that my later launch of x2 goes to one of the previous paths, such as the network or other resource that is no longer available.
I think there is another work around. You could create a script that will set the pane (via Windows reg) to example C:\ or My Computer every time the X2 is starting.
I believe the correct Window registry key is:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2_UC\MainFrame Settings]
"szLeftTabs"="::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"
"szRightTabs"="::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"

::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} is pointed to My computer. But of course, it makes your X2 to open at My Computer each time you start X2.
Even though not really what you want, it could prevent X2 from hanging because the path is not available.

Hope it helps.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

appyface,

I have experienced similar situations, and have not been able to determine what consistently causes the issue.  You say 'I often find that my later launch of x2 goes to one of the previous paths, such as the network or other resource that is no longer available'; but, although I suspect x2 may be trying to do that, I do not see anything to indicate that is the case.  

In any event, nikos has promised some relief in the next version for non-available items at startup. (ref: here )

-fg-
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

@Ian - Yes I thought about that, but I really do like that x2 remembers my last path much of the time.  I could stop the network timeout problem but I'd lose that capability.  Not sure I'm ready to trade yet :-)  Thanks for idea, though!

@fgagnon
fgagnon wrote:(...) although I suspect x2 may be trying to do that, I do not see anything to indicate that is the case.
I'm sorry, I didn't quite follow that... ?

When I launch x2 I can see the path it has 'remembered', it is definitely a previously browsed path before last one browsed.  It is not necessarily a network or other removable source path; it is just not always the very last one.  If the path x2 uses is readily accessible (network path still available, or is a local disk subdirectory), then x2 comes right up as it should.  But that is still annoying, even if x2 is not 'stuck', as I expect my last path to be the one remembered.

Thanks for the link and the promise of having control back more readily on an unavailable resource, that will be a big help.  I'd still like x2 to consistently remember the last path, though.  :-)  

In experimenting, I have come pretty close to getting x2 to remember the last path: If I browse to the new location, then open a file there by double-clicking from within x2 (such as launching notepad on a text file), the close that file and exit x2, it is not 100% but there is a much higher probability that x2 will remember that path.

Perhaps launching a program from within x2 influences storing of the path somehow?  Dunno.  

Give it a try and see if you too acheive more consistent results in this area?  Just an idea.  Thanks again.

--appyface
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

appyface wrote:... When I launch x2 I can see the path it has 'remembered', it is definitely a previously browsed path before last one browsed.  It is not necessarily a network or other removable source path;...
You may have hit upon a clue with your careful observation.  I only looked for evidence of network paths (& failed network paths: which default to desktop)  The big lags, when they occur, seem to follow a session where I had been using x2 on a network machine (but not repeatably). :?

[x2 Pro v1713 on XP/sp3]
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

watchout for xplorer2 processes lying in the background without a window. You may think you've quit xplorer2 but it may be still in the task manager. I've heard of a few people noticing this but without any pattern
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

A very good point.  I sometimes check for that but not very often.  I will start checking for that when I quit x2.

Thanks!
--appyface
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

I have been watching task manager closely for awhile now.

No other x2 is running when I quit the x2 I have open, I can see this one terminate in task manager also, so none are running.  

I then launch x2 and as observed, fairly often the previous path to the one I was browsing when I quit, is displayed rather than the last one.

I have no explanation and cannot see a pattern so far.  It doesn't seem to matter whether it is a local or network path.  

FYI.

--appyface
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it could be that the path is on a folder with saved custom settings
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

Good thought but I don't think so, in my case -- I have saved the settings on only two folders on just one machine, yet the 'not last path' problem appears on all machines and doesn't seem biased as to folder it chooses or folder I was last browsing.  I still think it is something else...  I'll keep looking.

--appyface
Tim

Post by Tim »

I got the exact same problem.

Even though I have x2 setup to return both panes to C:\ on startup (specifically to avoid network hangs!), it still seems to be trying to contact a previously viewed network share that was on one of the panes upon shutdown (I use UNC paths, not drive letters).

This is fine if the network share is still available but if I shutdown the remote PC in question, I get a long hang upon starting x2. This condition appears to clear on re-booting the local machine.

I checked the running processes. No x2 was present there hanging in the background. Starting x2 shows a process but there is a long delay before any GUI is shown.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for some unknown reason, x2 doesn't always manage to save its settings if you rely on windows shutdown. I can't pin it down. So if you made changes you want persisted, make sure you close it manually before shutdown. But if it's just starting it from fixed paths that you want, all you need is to use the command line arguments for your desired folders
Tim

Post by Tim »

Just to clarify 2 points:

1) After setting x2 as I want it I disabled saving setting on shutdown.
2) The local machine was up all the time during the testing so the problem has nothing to do with OS shutdown problems.

As stated before, even though I have both panes set to local paths C:\ there still appears to be an attempt to access a previously viewed (just before close) network resource.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

After disabling Save program state on exit, did you do perform:
Actions | Save settings now?
(to avoid restarting the previous problematic start-up state)
Last edited by fgagnon on 2008 Jun 23, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nope, did not do Save setting now.

I will do a brief run thru of what I did:

1) Start x2
Pane 1 = C:\
Pane 2 = C:\

2) Find my remote and local shares:

Pane 1 = C:\Downloads
Pane 2 = \\Pluto64\c$\Downloads

3) Move some files around
4) Close x2 with both pane locations unchanged.
5) Shutdown Pluto64 (no longer required at this piont)
6) Re-start x2 --- hangs for a while, at least 30 secs can't remember exactly how long.

7) Re-boot local machine and re-start x2 back to normal.

Hope that helps.