generate file lists?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

garbanzo

generate file lists?

Post by garbanzo »

can x2 make a list of all the files in a directory, including subdirectories?

i know about ALT-C, and it kind of gets me where i want, but i end up having to do a lot of editing afterwards.

what i really want is something that can support relative paths, so i can get output like this by just pointing to the 'My Music' folder:

/artist/album/song1.mp3
/artist/album/song2.mp3
/artist/album/song3.mp3

if x2 can't, does anyone know software that can?

thanks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you need a scrap container with the flattened folders you want, and then look at this demo: http://www.zabkat.com/blog/16Dec07.htm
garbanzo

Post by garbanzo »

thanks for the reply, nikos!

i actually found a program that gives me more control over making file lists, but that copy columns command will definitely come in handy.

you know, i think i've read the manual 3 times all the way through, but there is so much to learn, i only take in a little at a time. i love it!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi garbanzo,

You could use dir or tree.com. By using >, you could put the entry to text file.
Try this on your command prompt:
dir > FileList.txt
Tree > TreeList.txt
garbanzo

Post by garbanzo »

Ian wrote:Hi garbanzo,

You could use dir or tree.com. By using >, you could put the entry to text file.
Try this on your command prompt:
dir > FileList.txt
Tree > TreeList.txt
thanks for the info, Ian. i often DIR, with the /s and /b switches, to make simple lists, but lately i've been needing to make lists with relative paths quite often, so that's why i asked here. but like i said, i found a freeware program that does just what i want. it's called Directory Lister. the current version is commercial, but some of the older versions were freeware. here's a link to the last freeware version if anyone is interested:

Code: Select all

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Directory_Lister/1066410425/1 
it works great, has a ton of options, and if you delete the help file and extra languages, it is only about 130kb, and it doesn't need to be installed. that's my kind of app!
Lazlo Nibble

Post by Lazlo Nibble »

nikos wrote:you need a scrap container with the flattened folders you want, and then look at this demo: http://www.zabkat.com/blog/16Dec07.htm
Nikos, is there any chance you might add the ability to save the "copy columns" data (tab-separated snapshot of the text content of the columns) directly to a file rather than having to go through the clipboard? Copying to the clipboard works fine for smaller file lists but gets increasingly difficult as I work with larger filesets.
Lazlo Nibble

Post by Lazlo Nibble »

[quote="Lazlo Nibble"]Nikos, is there any chance you might add the ability to save the "copy columns" data (tab-separated snapshot of the text content of the columns) directly to a file rather than having to go through the clipboard?[/quote]
I'm still interested in this feature.  Is there any chance it might be implemented at some point?  Once I get past several thousand files (e.g., flattened filesystem hierarchies) I find it next to impossible to reliably copy column data to the clipboard.

If a built-in command won't work, an external .cida-to-.txt converter would work too.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i just tried ctrl+P in a flat structure of 15K files and it took 5 seconds to put stuff in the clipboard on my not-so-state-of-the-art laptop. Perhaps you have a program that interferes with the clipboard (like an extender) which makes things slow?
Lazlo Nibble

Post by Lazlo Nibble »

nikos wrote:i just tried ctrl+P in a flat structure of 15K files and it took 5 seconds to put stuff in the clipboard on my not-so-state-of-the-art laptop. Perhaps you have a program that interferes with the clipboard (like an extender) which makes things slow?
More likely it's because I'm trying to gather information that appears in non-"stock" ([S]) columns -- at least that's what seems to make the difference on my end. Try it on, say, C:\Windows\ with the "Owner" column activated.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in that case the bottleneck is extracting the slow column, the clipboard step is fast afterwards. To convince yourself, first sort by "owner" forcing this column to be extracted, then use ctrl+P