Request: overwrite option when renaming a file

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ r-drag, & scroll++  -
There being only a finite number of controls available, it's your choice for which to use for what functions.  

@ improved robust transfer,  feel very pessimist about this  -
Here's why I think your pessimism is justified:  Strictly speaking, making duplicates in the same folder is hardly a transfer - probably one reason why this seemingly trivial case was not included in the Robust transfer function design.  Robust transfers were designed for heavy duty copying/moving files between folders: They simply keep on truckin' in the face of nuisance errors commonly occurring between partitions and servers in the network neighborhood - errors which all too often stop MS copy and move operations dead in their tracks. At the end, you can view an error log to see the things that went wrong so you can address each appropriately.

@ turn off Robust transfer  -
The option to use (or not use) Robust transfer for Ctrl-C/V [Edit > Paste] does not affect the use of F5 and F6 for robust transfers.  It merely lets you preserve the MS-way of copying using Ctrl+C/V in x2.  (I have it turned off myself for most of my layouts.)
Ian

Post by Ian »

".. making duplicates in the same folder is hardly a transfer"
Yes, perhaps in one way it can be considered like that. However, it seems that the robust paste limits user to use only r-drag to fast duplicate a file in the same folder.
I believe, having an option to replace the normal paste, robust paste should cover all normal paste usages, but with improvement, not limitation.
However, perhaps, this limitation is for speed and performance. That's why I feel pessimist. If it can be done better, Nikos would have done it already.. especially, a trivial thingy like this.

".. does not affect the use of F5 and F6 for robust transfers"
Unfortunately, I set F5 as refresh, like in Windows Explorer(WE). But, even if I set F5 back to robust-t, I would need to set the destination folder manually, as I use tab. Extra work or not efficient for users that don't use Pane.

I like my X2 not to have very different behavior than WE, if it's not really improve my productivity. The reason is that I do not always work with X2 or X2 is not on every PC that I'm working with. If I set my X2 to have completely different behavior than WE and I'm too used to with X2, I would have difficult time operating WE. But, now I'm having difficult time with X2 because I preserve my WE habit. :(  Oh, well.

Thanks again, fgagnon.
jlrjlr

Post by jlrjlr »

A hint, to duplicate files (in the same directory), with x2, there is already a "duplicate" in "edit" menu. Very convenient I use it  lot.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Aaahh, yes...
Thanks, jlrjlr!
I had forgotten about that (i.e. don't use it), and would have pointed it out myself, had I remembered.  :oops:

Ian,
hopefully that's a good workaround for you.
... and it can be assigned to a keyboard shortcut, too! (if you have an unused combo available, that is. ;)  -- although keys for the Alt+(E,D) sequence are close enough together that it's practically a KB shourtcut as it is.
-fg-
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

nikos,
I was going to suggest that, because Ian had re-assigned F5 to Refresh, that he use the key sequence Alt+(E,O) as a workaround for when he needs Robust copy, but I ran into an issue where:
the copy started immediately (no dialog box to check/verify options)
and, worse, the transfer went not to the opposite pane, but to the last-used folder specified in the [here] box :o
and worse yet Robust move had the same issue. :shock:

but, alas, on a re-check the kb sequences work correctly. :shrug:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Even though I still prefer ctrl-c/v or normal copy-paste to do both copying and duplicating, as additional command for something that normally can be done with less command is not convenient, it will do, jlrjlr. Thanks.

Yes, fgagnon. It's quite good for me. At least I have 2 options for now, using the menu or shortcut. Now I only need to get used to duplicate file using X2 way.
And since I want robust transfer(RT) for every copying, I guess, I won't be assigning special shortcut for RT because I'm soo used to with ctrl-c/v to copy files. Thanks for checking it though.

Thank you guys for trying to help me.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Deleted as not important at all and does not worthy of any reply.

Administrator, please delete my post.