Columns display (Name, Extension vs Full Name)

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

bedata

Columns display (Name, Extension vs Full Name)

Post by bedata »

Hi!

I've been using xPlorer2 for a few years on my XP system and I have somehow managed to get my column settings so that both Name and
Name [S] display the full name of the file (e g SomeMusic.mp3).
I guess these two columns should really just display the name without the extension.

Since I want to be able to rename files I can't use the Full name [S] column since that doesn't allow rename.
Having Name and Extension in separate columns wastes a lot of space when filenames vary a lot. So I like my current setup.

However when I try to get the same settings in Vista I can't do it
and I have no idea how I managed to get these settings in XP eiter.

Could anybody help me on this, please.

Regards
Bengt
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ I can't use the Full name [S] column since that doesn't allow rename -

{edit/corrected initially-posted erroneous info in the following:}
Renaming only applies to whichever of Name [S]  or  Name is the first (leftmost) column.

Name [S]  and  Name should display the same information, so you don't need them both. (There may be some exceptional cases where they differ, but I do not recall what they are.)
Full name [S] is a display-only column for folks who want to see the file extensions even when Windows is set to Hide extensions for known file types.
Name [S] is a bit faster than  Name, but you probably can't see the difference on a fast machine unless there are 1000's of files in the browsed folder.

Whether or not the extension shows is a function of your windows folder setting preferences for hiding extensions for known file types.  (On XP it's a check box in a list under Control Panel | Folder options | View.
I don't know about Vista. )

HTH
Last edited by fgagnon on 2008 Aug 15, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
bedata

Post by bedata »

Of course, you're quite right about the setting for hiding the extension for known file types. I always uncheck that option in XP but this Vista system is brand new and I'm not used to Vista (yet) so I just didn't think about it.
Thanks for pointing it out.

However there are still differences between Full Name [s] and Name [s] or Name:

With Name [s] or Name as the first column I can rename a file
but with Full Name [s] I get the message
"This column cannot be renamed in place: please put Name column first".
I just checked in XP and it works the same way there, but since I am used to showing the extension anyway I've never used Full Name [s] in XP before so I've never noticed this behaviour.

Furthermore Full Name[s] and Name/Name[s] do NOT show the same information when "hide extension for known file types" is checked.
In that case Full Name [s] shows the extension but Name/Name[s] do not!

Regards
Bengt
Bengt Ögren
Be Data AB
Sweden
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

:oops:  I did not check my column names before running off at the keyboard.  What I described was the Name [S] column behaviour when I wrote Full name [S] :oops:
You are, correct: Full name [S] is a special column for display only, not usable for renaming.

But, forgetting about Full name [S] (which you say you never use), hopefully you now have the behaviour you want after electing to not hide extensions in the Name/Name[S] columns.  ?
bedata

Post by bedata »

Yes, you solved my problem and I can surely live with the special nature of Full Name [s]  :wink: . Tanks a lot!

Regards
Bengt
Bengt Ögren
Be Data AB
Sweden