Drag files on bookmarks

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

JimFox

Drag files on bookmarks

Post by JimFox »

Hi there!

I am using xplorer² pro with pleasure for some weeks now :D and I have one proposal for a new feature:
I would like to be able to copy/move files/folders to bookmark folders by dragging them on the according bookmark-icon in the toolbar. The behaviour concerning move and copy action could be toggled by the Ctrl-key, as it is done with usual drag-and-drop.
What do you think about it?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is already in my list for the future
(the new drivebar is already a copy target)
in the meantime what you can do is open a mini scrap container, put in the folders you frequently use as targets, pin it topmost and you'll have similar functionality here & now
JimFox

Drag files on bookmarks

Post by JimFox »

Thank you very much for the quick answer!
It's nice to hear, that this feature is to come in the future. And I will definitely give your proposal a try. These scrap containers are very powerful, but I still have to explore their possibilities :wink:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...this is already in my list for the future
Apparently in 2005 it was sardonically rumoured that the future was an epic place where pigs could fly for a month of Sundays through the high waters of Hell...

But the Future had a lesson to be found in A short History of Greece:

Who knew then that 2005 was the Neolithic Period of X2, where small weak files huddled together in clustered folders against a land ruled by 32 overweight large-toothed carnivores.

Thank the gods 2006 was the Early Bronze Age, wherein the poor files buttressed their attributes with spears and shields and told stories of Heroic Zips that defended lost hunters from the wilds of fear.

Then came 2007's Minoan Age, wherein hidden NTFS labyrinths did dwell men with bullish minds, munching on helpless sacrificial virgin clusters.  It was not a pretty time to be an invading Xerxes Persian - a great many suffered hapless defenestration and worse.

Was 2008 destined to be a Mycenaean Age, born to mythic type advances forging new paths, rich social streams, and historians compiling three-score-and-four bits of renaissance legend into Gold?

Would that we lived in such a time.

And would that legends rumoured in 2005 came true.

:D

That said, Easter is a better time for the resurrection of long dead threads.  One never knows the hints the stars above bestow to minds in patriotic exchange - there resides a fatherless land of hope and permanent prayer.

@ fgagnon: in anticipation of your castigation, ... ... well, you know, man can't live on technical bread alone.  :D
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ castigation -
point made, but nothing to "castigate" here. :shock:

btw, I enjoy your posting style as much as anybody. It is a refreshing change from dry technospeak (& I am guilty as charged, wherein I might summarize your above post, albeit less eloquently, in one word: "bump"! ).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that feature was in the plan until xplorer2 got kitted with the miniscrap. Nowadays you can have your bookmarks stored there and as a fully fledged file manager, they will be drop targets free of charge
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...that feature was in the plan until xplorer2 got kitted with the miniscrap.
Although having a single road through Thermopylae did prove fortuitous for the beleaguered Spartans, would it be such an evil were the civic authorities to put a little time and effort into road infrastructure and offer two routes to the same place?  This would also create logical parity with the already-implemented hard-drive feature.  By extension of your reasoning (Official Policy though it be :D), for real integrity, you should remove said drive icons, and indeed the whole of the Bookmark toolbar, as it is, technically, superfluous. :(

It's rather like having two sons: the first climbed Mt. Everest and made a name for himself; the second watched the event on telly and said proudly "That's my brother!" as he reached for another slice of pizza.

The question is, which is the road less travelled, given how the tool seems most expectedly used?

(And the theory also states that if someone uses time and effort to convey their interests, it might inspire you to take up the cause and march into battle!  Whereas if I just said "Bump", you'd shrug and fob me off with the miniscrap-brand of Coffee. Just my theory of Tea in the Hinterlands. :D)

@fgagnon: On Concision - am I the only person to remember when Dr. Dobb's Journal had competitions to see who could intentionally write the most obfuscated C code on the planet?  Formatting that could give E.E. Cummings nightmares.  Just for the fun of it!  Or was that just Blaise's rebellion from the forked tongue of Stalinist Fortran?  Maybe I dreamed it all.  Everest... must seek Everest... :)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Kilmatead,

We have already asked for different things as drop targets, or even interim drop targets (in the latter, when you are in the middle of a D&D, then hover the mouse over a thing to open up to reveal next level targets, and then you can repeat the cycle).

So what are those "things"?
* Buttons in toolbars (drive bar included)
* Nodes in folder tree (this is already possible)
* Path segments in the pane header.
* Folders in a folder pane

As Fred puts it in brief ("thong" is a better word), what you say is same as saying "bump".  :twisted:

Nikos has not implemented that because of coding difficulty, priority, personal liking to it, etc. Add to that the basic premise that x2 is a complete product (which means additional features may come at a leisurely pace.)

How would things turn out if the pizza guy says, 'Gee I am disappointed because my brother is not making enough efforts. He should go to the summit and be back by the same evening. In fact, he should have climbed K2, because that's where the real challenge is."
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Thongs go well with Brazilian beaches - come to think of it, so do "bumps" but as this is a family show, we'll leave that watershed alone.  :D

As anyone familiar with programming will say, no product can ever be considered a "complete product"... by the laws of human exploration, it just doesn't work like that.  Monsters that live under the bed, and all that.  A prisoner of his own device, as it were.

I was just pointing out a thematic fault with Nikos' reasoning, in the above post.  Not a logical fault, a thematic one.  

I realize much of this is hyperbole - what Nikos chooses to do (in the interests of gleaning the public's "hard earned cash" - as he himself refers to it on the site), is completely up to him.  But every now and then, from the dark reaches of the new-user closet, it doesn't hurt to have a small inexperienced voice cry out - above the conservatism of the entrenched - to remind Caesar of the forest for the trees - and indeed, why people pay for things in the first place.
narayan wrote:How would things turn out if the pizza guy says, 'Gee I am disappointed because my brother is not making enough efforts. He should go to the summit and be back by the same evening. In fact, he should have climbed K2, because that's where the real challenge is."
He'd get a snowball in the face.  Which was, I dare say, exactly my point.  :D

What, sir, is so wrong with tilting at windmills?

(That's rhetorical, by the way, before anyone gets jumpy.  :D)

And besides, am I the only one to imagine with glee the confused look on JimFox's face when het gets an email after three years saying some silly thread of his has come back to life?  Maybe it's only me, then.  Ah well.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Please help me! I need clarification on all this!
Did any xplorer² user ever meet a pizza man on K2, or was it the pizza man having a lunch break on top of K2?
If so, did "Kilmatead" throw snowballs at him?
Did they make up in the end and exchange thoughts on the metaphysics behind the poetry of Cummings? Are these ready for publication? Any insider's information?
This thread could quickly snowball into something really big. :lol: