Just what is the Root of all evil...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just what is the Root of all evil...

Post by Kilmatead »

Whilst I was only too happy Vista did away with XP's rather condescendingly childish "My Computer" nomenclature, is there a simpler method than attaching "::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}" to a shortcut for X2?

It's not as condescending, to be sure, but it doesn't just roll off the tongue either.  What is it anyway, some mad registry entry?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

It's just the hexadecimal representation of the registry's 128bit Class Identifier for "My Computer"   (aka its CLSID).
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

But it has no simpler reference?  And, more importantly, is it hardware (generated) dependent, or a typically long-winded Windows label for a generic address?  I'm thinking of the portable pen-drive approach.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

That's the alias-independent standard for what the "My Computer" alias refers to.  It has been oft-requested of nikos to use an alternative to putting up the CLSID.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Yes-- It is like referring to a person with his social security number. (Does not strike you who that "number" is.)

Another annoyance like that is the PC names in the LAN:
All PCs in the LAN appear with \\ in front. To locate a PC quickly, you have to enter \\ first. Otherwise x2 does not locate that PC.