build .20 beta

Post by nikos »

this should sort out all yesterday's problems
www.zabkat.com/xplorer2_setup32.exe
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Build .20 runs fine; but I didn't have problems with the previous, so can't say it's better.  I'm just using it as the default, and have had no issues so far on XP/sp3.  :)

The proof of goodness will be a clean bill of health from vista and w9x and 2000 users for issues reported in the build 1.7.1.19 thread.  :shrug:
spiffy

Post by spiffy »

Nikos: Build 20 beta now runs OK on my 98se machine.

Thanks  :D
jgt1942
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Possible issues and suggestions

Post by jgt1942 »

Couple of issues
(1) My bookmarks got wiped out but I'm not sure which beta did it.
(2) It would be nice if the install remembered what I had previously chosen for the additional task, and reused the settings. Some of the applications I use do this and I find it a very nice touch.
(3) I selected to install the full manual but the download failed. Why not make it part of the install file? With the ease of internet access what is the big deal if the file is larger by 6K?
(4) Still X2 does not remember the last position it used (sigh) when you open a new window or the first occurance.
ckit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ckit »

The file would be larger by 4-5Mb and is only updated for major releases!
jgt1942
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jgt1942 »

So what is 5mb - IMHO not big deal, put it all in one package. So it takes me an extra 5 seconds to download the file. This is nothing compared to the 200+ MB files that I download for other applications.

To properly test beta code, the code should be as close to release code as possible otherwise you are missing a super opportunity to test on a wider test base until you release the code. If you wait until the final release to integrate everything then you have delayed full test until the release. It has been proven over and over that waterfall development is not the best method.
desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by desslok »

jgt1942 wrote:So what is 5mb - IMHO not big deal, put it all in one package. So it takes me an extra 5 seconds to download the file. This is nothing compared to the 200+ MB files that I download for other applications.
Easy foy you to say. You are not paying for the hosting server.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't think that the new beta junks your old settings including bookmarks. Some common pitfalls: don't uninstall the old version or don't select "clear registry settings"; bookmarks etc cannot be shared between lite and pro version
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

desslok wrote:
jgt1942 wrote:So what is 5mb - IMHO not big deal, put it all in one package. So it takes me an extra 5 seconds to download the file. This is nothing compared to the 200+ MB files that I download for other applications.
Easy foy you to say. You are not paying for the hosting server.
C'mon, it's not really an issue right now.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
jgt1942
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jgt1942 »

nikos wrote:i don't think that the new beta junks your old settings including bookmarks. Some common pitfalls: don't uninstall the old version or don't select "clear registry settings"; bookmarks etc cannot be shared between lite and pro version
I started with the PRO version and when I started installing the beta I just overlayed what was there. It may be an issue on my end, as you my plate is very full and I'm also bouncing between five different systems all with their specific issues. Sometimes I step on my toes in the process. Currently I've limited my testing of x2 to one system.