Whish List: To improve the visual experience with X2

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

StarBrat

Post by StarBrat »

wasker wrote:I for one pretty much happy with what x2 is today -- it follows UI theme, which is huge, however here's where I see room for visual improvement:

Refresh icon set, introduce two sets of icons -- 16x16 and 24x24, let users change icon sizes for toolbar.

Get "disabled icons" double for each and every icon (pet peeve!) except those for external tools -- default Windows mechanism renders disabled icons in menus and toolbars horrible.

I really do agree with these 2 items...

Otherwise, you don't have to touch anything!!  I'm using StyleXP to get some colors in there and i'm satisfied.

I'm not only a fan of the functionality built into this software (and i'm using the free version!) , i'm also a fan of the spare presentation.  It actually helps me concentrate better on the task at hand.
admsupport
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by admsupport »

Cosmo wrote:In one of the lost post admsupport asked, if the problem is clear now, and I answered (also lost post): No, as he was not able to tell me, where the problem is. I cannot see it, if I take one or two or ten looks at the comparison picture on page 1 of the thread.
Hi, back on the thread.

That sad my latest post was lost, because I tried to clarify the reason or nature of my request (very light request):

it was no a question of layout change or design change, but only to improve the colors and icons definitions (I did not know the technical terms--(?)gradient colors and true type color icons(?)--to call these changes, so I posted these 2 print-screens).

The differences among them are (explained in visual terms): the non X2 window (the one above) has a deeper gray color with more: nuance, brighter, and better shades, and the icons also are neater, with more details and brightness. That's it. The photos were only to help explain the way I would like X2 to improve graphically (in quality, not in change).

I guess when you create a software (I saw that in a VB editor) you can decide about the colors: like 256 colors or more variation etc. This post was to address this choice, because I found X2 a bit lacking of color depth comparing with other windows on my screen.

I also mentioned that more colors or a deeper color might increase the size of the app itself, but it was not too important since it is a light app anyway, and today's system are powerful (graphic cards, CPU, etc.)

I hope it is no clearer now and if you can't see the changes between these 2 photos is maybe because you look too quick (or you are not sensitive to details), or you have a bad screen definition, or just search for something else on the photos. It's only the colors and icons definition of these 2 GUI to compare :idea:

Thanks

NB: there are skin packs available, but I also pointed out that, even some of the if the icons were looking better, the overal color was still the same (i.e. light) since this kind of change can only be done at the software level. End.
MHP

Post by MHP »

admsupport wrote:Already 107 visitors on the thread! Since there is a saying that states:

who keeps silent, consents

It is about already a hundred of people vouching for an serious X2 lift-up (in stereo and at loud volume in Nikos 'hears)
OK, now this "silent" member must speak up.

I would much rather have the work go into improvements of usability and function than a "lift-up".
MHP
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

MHP wrote:
admsupport wrote:Already 107 visitors on the thread! Since there is a saying that states:

It is about already a hundred of people vouching for an serious X2 lift-up (in stereo and at loud volume in Nikos 'hears)

I would much rather have the work go into improvements of usability and function than a "lift-up".
Definitly!

In my lost post 1 week ago I had already pointed out, that the above quoted blue sentence is wrong by content.

Who keeps silent, seems not to bother about this topic, and consequently he disagrees, to put ressources into this.

I totally agree, that improvmenents in usability and function are the points, where work into x2 has do be done, e.g. fixing bugs.
Xaro

Post by Xaro »

I like the current setuo, but as I said in other thread, I would like the visual customization to be better (as the colors in the icons to be 32bits)
admsupport
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by admsupport »

MHP wrote:I would much rather have the work go into improvements of usability and function than a "lift-up".
Hi there ex-silent member (that was just a joke anyway) and thanks for your feedback (the same goes for Cosmos)

both are not incompatible: improvement of usability + function AND lift-up :wink: Once in a while, everything needs a change anyway.

That's right, the more I use X2, the less I look at it :D , although when I give it a closer look (say when I turn the PC on in the morning) I could be welcome with a better look.

I read many (many-many) answers alike (let's improve the functions, etc.) and yes, I agree with that. But this thread was about improving the look with minor changes. That was not about "functionality" OR "lift-up"
snemarch
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by snemarch »

I like applications to "look good" - but my definition of good usually means "spartan". Definitely no gradient nonsense (I hate that Microsoft has introduced that nonsense to both office and visual studio), hardly ever any custom skinning (it very rarely makes any sense), only do custom controls if it really makes sense, keep the UI clean and uncluttered, etc. Total Commander has always put me off because it looks nasty by default :)

x^2 fits my taste pretty well. Perhaps the icons could be improved, but I think the ones in the menus are good enough, and I disable the toolbar anyway - I'm a keyboard man, so I don't use them anyway.

Here's a sample of how my customized x^2 looks like (using the ClearLooks theme for XP): Image
lphilpot

Post by lphilpot »

For what it's worth (another data point, I guess), I've been using x2 Pro for a few months and am completely satisfied with the look of it. I'm on Vista, but am running the classic interface (I REALLY dislike Aero, even moreso than Luna on XP), so x2 hardly looks out of place. Sure, I guess the icons could be spiffied up a bit, but then again, they're *icons*, not paintings. IOW, they represent a concept/task/whatever, not illustrate it.

Anyway, my "vote" is to prioritize functionality above needless eye candy. I know what it's like to work with a poor GUIs: Macs, Lotus Notes, web-based apps, most things Java, the Athena widgets (yikes!) ... 'nuff said  :)  I agree with Nikos that a nice spartan, but functional UI is best. Don't go too far in either direction: Not too bare, not too fluffy. Right now, x2 is far closer to the sweet spot than most apps.

vi, anyone?  8)
admsupport
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by admsupport »

First happy new year to all,

A few weeks ago I have opened this thread. It is a visual matter so it is of a secondary importance. It did not wanted it to be to serious or technical.

My point is X2 out of the box looks a bit outdated now and I was proposing a eventual re-wamp for a future release.

I am now using the skin 004 No Name by Alex Simers. There is improvement in definition quality (it is not about taste, that's another topic).

I need to mention my LCD is old and I must set the brightness to max to get some contrast :cry: I would like to have GUI gray color a notch deeper.

Since I have purchased the license, I am reading the PDF and my next questions will be about X2 functions. However as a closing - I have the feeling my thread as been misunderstood reading some comments - "spartan interface" is not in contradiction with a visual quality improvement (old style icons which pixelize vs. clear type style icons).

Regarding those who like Vista with the classic theme, this is a matter of taste, not a matter of graphic quality. As for X2, the icons could stay, but they would benefit (in my opinion) in improving in quality in a future release, as the gray color could be a tad deeper.

Alright, thanks to everyone who read/comment on the thread.
desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by desslok »

admsupport wrote:It is a visual matter so it is of a secondary importance.

Since I have purchased the license, I am reading the PDF and my next questions will be about X2 functions.
You purchsed it!?
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... &sk=t&sd=a
RobOK

Post by RobOK »

I agree with the original poster that Xplorer2 could use some fresher icons and colors.  Many programs that I use have had this done in the past year or so.

J. River Media Center
FastStone Image Viewer
SyncBack
FireFox
ESET NOD32 antivirus

I think Thunderbird is similar that it looks a bit dated.

This will not stop me from using Xplorer2, but I do notice it.

I don't think the OP picked good screen shots to compare.
admsupport
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by admsupport »

@deskok

I did :D  The look was important factor at first. Since you bring this, I was a total beginner in this area and both products were interesting. Both developers respond well on their forums and they have their own character. There is not only the features, the coding but also the philosophy. I begun with X2 moved to XY and gave a try to Opus9. X2 became from far the file management who best suited my needs. I have ended the X2 PDF just now and yes, I rejoin everyone who praise its functions. That's also why I am about to close my posting of this thread requesting a look change (it will come anyway sooner or later). I thanked Donald for his support some time earlier, during the trial period on XY and made a life purchase with X2. Do you have a problem with that?

Since you seem concerned about my trials, I can forward you the full exchange of emails, and comparisons topics I made with X2 on the XY forum to satisfy your curiosity :wink:

Cheerio
ntstatic

Post by ntstatic »

Cosmo wrote:
MHP wrote:

Definitly!

In my lost post 1 week ago I had already pointed out, that the above quoted blue sentence is wrong by content.

Who keeps silent, seems not to bother about this topic, and consequently he disagrees, to put ressources into this.

I totally agree, that improvmenents in usability and function are the points, where work into x2 has do be done, e.g. fixing bugs.
ok i had to register to answer to this post
i agree that who keeps silent agrees - agrees i think to the current condition

i agree with most people - that if beautifying the thing is going to use up the time that the author is going to put in for even one enhancement, i dont want the visual candy i have been using this excellent necessity ( you cant call it a utility ) , and a free version too and being a software person i feel that too much time is spent on beautifying than making a program efficient.

that being said, of course if the same thing can be made more beautiful without compromizing the efficiency, or if someone can volunter to provide materials (icons and such) so that the authors time wasted in beautifying is minimized, and he feels it is necessary then it would be excellent

im happy with what it looks like presently and i find that the two captures on the first page are almost similar - only the icons look better in the first capture - i dont care about the gradient fills.
DAndres109

Post by DAndres109 »

Here's my take on the matter: if improving the visual aspect of the program will increase my understanding/efficiency/usage of the thing then go for it.  Otherwise, all we may end up with is visual fluff, clutter, and a potential decrease in application performance.

Some "visual" improvements can add value.  I for one am a huge fan of improving the Quick Preview functionality to bring it up to speed with Opus.  This is not just because it is a cute and spiffy feature, but because I'd like to be able to quickly preview files without the need to open them.

I'd argue that people who love xplorer2 love it for the fact that it is specifically designed for getting things done...quickly.  I don't care about how the icons look because I barely ever use them.  The keyboard is far quicker and, should memory fail, the menus are nicely laid out and easy to grasp.
lian
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by lian »

It's an interesting question. I am using Wordpress and in it's 2.7 version, they changed all the look and the ergonomy of the administration pages, being helped by people specialized in ergonomy. I could work easily with the old fashion presentation but the new one is much more efficient.
I think they can be visual improvement ONLY if it gives more ergonomy to the programm. The best solution is to propose themes or the ability to modify the interface easily but I agree that the priority is to get a good and stable product. And the eventual changings must be clearly described and commented :-)
french user-2.5.0.2 ULT [Unicode] 23/04/2014 - Win Seven family premium