Right click problem

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

FightingBob

Right click problem

Post by FightingBob »

Lately, whenever I first open xplorer2 and then right click on a file, xplorer2 tries to call out somewhere to the internet through port 80. It happens only the first time. I have to exit xplorer2 and restart it, then right click on something again in order for it to happen again. I've eliminated the problem by permanently denying it permission through my firewall, but I'm wondering what the heck an explorer program is doing suddently trying to phone somewhere.

What's the explanation for this? Did I accidentally change a setting? Did the newest build introduce this, or what?

Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

check your shell extensions that add items to the context menu
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

It's not xplorer2 that's calling; although it gets 'tagged' for it.

If not a shell extension, it is likely that the file(s) you are opening has/have live link(s) in them.
Try plain text files, and I am sure you won't see the behavior.
Check the the content of the files that do carefully to see.  :shock:
FightingBob

Post by FightingBob »

I don't know anything about shell extensions, and haven't installed anything new lately, so I'm not clear how that would be the issue. That's not to deny that that's the problem; I'm just saying I don't understand it.

In the meanwhile, I set my firewall to no longer specifically deny x2 the right to call out, and the same issue arises every time regardless of what file I first right click on after I open x2. I've tried it with files created in MS Word and Wordperfect, txt files, different graphics files, exe files, an axx file (a file excrypted using Axcrypt, so it can't be read without the password), and so on. I tried it on Word, WordPerfect and txt files that didn't have any text in them. I even created a file through x2 itself by hitting F7 and not giving it an extension or intentionally giving it any attributes. Each and every time time (but, as stated in my first message, only the first time I right click on something after opening xplorer2) I get the message that x2 is calling out to the same IP address through port 80. Specifically, the warning states "'x2 - explorer replacement' from your computer wants to connect to 199.7.71.190, port 80," and goes on to identify the program trying to call out like so "Details about application: c:\program files\xplorer2\xplorer2_uc.exe," which of course is where I have x2 installed.

I used Karen Kenworthy's WhoIs application (from http://www.karenware.com) to run down the IP address, and got this information:

OrgName:    VeriSign Global Registry Services
OrgID:      VGRS
Address:    21345 Ridgetop Circle
City:       Dulles
StateProv:  VA
PostalCode: 20166

Any idea what this is all about?

Thanks.
FightingBob

Post by FightingBob »

I hit send a little too soon. I neglected to add that the problem never happens when I right click on a file through Windows Explorer or by using an open dialog box through an application. So whether or not the source of the issue is x2, x2 definitely is (or so far appears to be) the only vehicle through which whatever is happening is happening.
desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by desslok »

Check Internet Options -> Browse.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

since this happens only once per program, i bet that windows explorer does it when it boots the desktop. Try it with another 3rd party file manager and see what happens
FightingBob

Post by FightingBob »

Unfortunately, I have to go out of town for ten days tomorrow. I'll look around for a freebie file manager to test it when I get back, and post the result. (If I have to live with it, no big deal -- I like x2 enough that it's no big deal to simply set the fire wall to block whatever it is that's calling out).

I don't understand the suggestion to look in Internet Options | Browse. I don't see a "browse" option in there. (You are talking about Internet Options in the Control Panel, right?)

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the help. As I say, I'll post back when I get back in town.