Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jumbuck

What is wrong with this User Command?

Post by jumbuck »

Hi
Can anyone suggest why this particular User Command will not work in
Xplorer2 Pro (and Windows XP Pro)

>C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee\8.0.Pro\ACDSee8Pro.exe
The status bar says is was executed but ACDSee won't open.

If I enter C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee\8.0.Pro\ACDSee8Pro.exe into Start > Run it opens ACDSee OK.
I've tried everything I can think of, but it won't work.

These User Commands below all work OK.
>C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe
>%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe
>C:\Program Files\NoteTab Light\NoteTab.exe
>C:\Program Files\WhereIsIt\WhereIsIt.exe

(The User Commands above were copied from the "User commands properties" Description box.)

Thanks
desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by desslok »

There are no quotation marks?
jumbuck

Post by jumbuck »

Thanks for the reply.
Should there be quotation marks? - and if so where?
There are no quotation marks in any of the User Commands but 4 of them still work OK.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I don't open ACDSee that way; but I never tried before. :shrug:

When I try, it won't run -- just as you report.
However, when I type
C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee Pro\2.5\ACDSeePro25.exe
into the addressbar of WE, it *does* open ACDSee, so there appears to be an issue with x2 (or ACDSee is doing something non-standard that works with WE but not x2).

Other than experimenting with commands what are you trying to accomplish that would benefit from starting ACDSee from a command line?

Post by jumbuck »

Thanks fgagnon
At least that settles it for me and I'll give up on it.

For me X2 is my "Command post". It's the center of nearly all my computer activities. In it I have one "long" Toolbar with shortcuts to all my most used folders and a smaller one for opening a few of the apps that I use frequently.
ACDSee is one of those, and that is the only reason I tried to add it to a toolbar. It's not important to be able to do it from X2, it just puzzled me that I couldn't do it.
(I couldn't do without X2 though. Working without it is like working in the dark.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

since this command contains spaces, try enclosing everything in quotation marks eg "C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee Pro\2.5\ACDSeePro25.exe " (but i don't think it will help)
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

It is hard to reproduce this, if one has no ACDsee installed, as no one knows, where the culprit lies.

So out of the blue: Does it change something for you, if you place a space after the >? Your lines in OP do not have them, but if one calls the respective 1st command from the tools menu there gets a space added.
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

Another hint:

I did some experiments, using a program, which does not get installed, but only unzipped from an archive, so changing the pathname should not be a problem.

Now I inserted spaces and points into the folder's name and tried to reproduce the problem - without success. But there was another observation: Once - and strangely not reproducable - I got a  warning popup from a security app, that the MD5 hash of the program has been changed (although I did not exchange the executable file), so this  sec app seemd to become upset by those signs in the pathname.

Now I wonder, if you might have a sec app, which silently blocks in such a case? I am not really convinced, that this is the solution for you, but heaven knows.
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Hi,
You could try to create a Windows CMD file with these contents:

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF
C:
CD\
START /B "C:\Program Files\ACD Systems\ACDSee\8.0.Pro\ACDSee8Pro.exe"
EXIT
That CMD file could be named "ACDSee.cmd". If you place it in a folder whose path is part of the Windows "Path" environment variable (type "SET" in a CMD window to find out), you could run "ACDSee.cmd", hence ACDSee itself, just by typing "ACDSee" as a command-line in xplorer.

HTH.
jumbuck

Post by jumbuck »

Thanks for your replies

Nikos - adding quotation marks didn't work.

Cosmo - adding a space after the ">" didn't work. I had also tried removing the space, and the periods, from the path and it didn't work either. I don't know about a second app either but fgagnon reproduced the same problem with ACDSee too.

Robert2 - I tried to do what you said and I couldn't make it work, but I don't really know anything about Windows CMD files and probably didn't do it correctly. (Also if I had to type anything into a command line in X2 it would be easier to just use a shortcut from outside X2)