Toolbar usability suggestion.

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

danielrod

Toolbar usability suggestion.

Post by danielrod »

I read about half a dozen posts where toolbar was mentioned but didn't find any that said what I want to say here...

Quite simply, I wish I could drag-and-drop my toolbar buttons to the desired location on the toolbar.  Simple enough.  

I've been using xplorer2 for about 7 yrs and today wish to optimize and expand.  After considering which features I use most or would like to, I set about adding toolbar buttons for these (in the beginning, I just ran keyboard commands, but these days i suffer from hand and wrist injuries so i must use a joystick mouse).  

The problem is that after adding many buttons, i found myself needed to re-order them.  I wish I could just drag them around in the toolbar itself.  Instead i'm moving each individual one Up or Down using the little Customize Toolbar dialog.  Rather tedious.  

Is this a planned improvement in future releases?  I'm also in the process of convincing my colleague to give the tool a try but i need to set it up for her and customize the toolbar to give her easy access to the features she needs.

Thank you and great tool!

Daniel
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

to reorder buttons, something you don't do every day i imagine, either use the toolbar customization dialog (right click on a toolbar) or press <shift> then drag around your buttons
danielrod

Post by danielrod »

OMG, thanks a lot for that!!  Silly, I had no idea.  

Hehe, this begs the question...could drag & drop be made to work w/out having to hold down Shift?  Just an idea.

Thanks,

Daniel
danielrod

Post by danielrod »

woa, maybe i spoke too soon.  Seems Shift drag & drop is malfunctioning.  When i do this, it eradically leaves the button in its current place, adds separators in front of it, or moves the button to a location which is not the one where i released it at.  

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Daniel
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

No, its a feature. You create a separator when you drag and hold a toolbar button move it few pixels and drop it in its original location. To remove the separator just drag a button and drop it on top of separator.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
danielrod

Post by danielrod »

Thanks for the suggestion.  How I wish that were so on my computer.  Whether it's following your steps to remove a separator or attempting to move buttons to a different place, the behavior is always something unexpected.  Dragged buttons actually get thrown to entirely different places on the toolbar.  Also buttons that i'm not attempting to drag get moved around to other locations.  Very strange.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

It works correctly on XP.
What is your OS?
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Toolbar usability suggestion.

Post by pj »

Daniel,
danielrod wrote:I'm also in the process of convincing my colleague to give the tool a try but i need to set it up for her and customize the toolbar to give her easy access to the features she needs.
I added SNAKEBYTE'S excellent MENU++ tool in about 20 minutes last evening, and already find it to be a superior way to access many xplorer2 functions as well as other commands (Calculator, Notepad, etc.).  Very easy to configure.  (MUCH KUDOS, SNAKEBYTE!).

You can find the topic describing the tool and where to get it
HERE.

Which brings up my pet peeve - lack of a place to find tools and/or add-ons in one place.  A separate forum where these topics could be gathered, or making the favorite topics "sticky" would be an improvement.

Moderators? A little help here?

-----------------
(Partly sunny) PJ in (very sunny) FL
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

That would require being more organized than I am. :o

However, if you want to put together a list of the posts/threads which you feel are deserving of mention in an at-the-top "sticky" topic, please feel free to post your picks in a separate thread.  I am sure our veteran (or is that "inveterate"?) users will be glad to add their comments, if not their own favorites to the list.  

If a consensus were to occur, I'll consider making a "sticky" topic for it. ;)
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

fgagnon wrote:That would require being more organized than I am.  :o  

Don't be so modest!  I have no idea how you manage to test so many issues on multiple OS's.
fgagnon wrote:However, if you want to put together a list of the posts/threads which you feel are deserving of mention in an at-the-top "sticky" topic, please feel free to post your picks in a separate thread.  I am sure our veteran (or is that "inveterate"?) users will be glad to add their comments, if not their own favorites to the list.  

Well, Sir, I'll accept that challenge  :) - if only to provide myself with a running start at a list of references.  Perhaps the time I spend will save in the long run over the amount of time I search for something I saw way back when, like yesterday. :?:

------------------------
PJ in (sunny and warm again!) FL
danielrod

Post by danielrod »

Ok, I'm back.  I use XP too.
wingood

Re: 'that' STICKY thread...

Post by wingood »

pj wrote:
fgagnon wrote:That would require being more organized than I am.  :o  

Don't be so modest!  I have no idea how you manage to test so many issues on multiple OS's.
fgagnon wrote:However, if you want to put together a list of the posts/threads which you feel are deserving of mention in an at-the-top "sticky" topic, please feel free to post your picks in a separate thread.  I am sure our veteran (or is that "inveterate"?) users will be glad to add their comments, if not their own favorites to the list.  

Well, Sir, I'll accept that challenge  :) - if only to provide myself with a running start at a list of references.  Perhaps the time I spend will save in the long run over the amount of time I search for something I saw way back when, like yesterday. :?:

------------------------
PJ in (sunny and warm again!) FL

Did this get posted, and does anyone have the link?

If it's still an aspiration/WIP, I have a trunkload to dump. agree it'd be sweet having consolidated knowledge. bump.
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Toolbar usability suggestion.

Post by profess »

Go to the Board Index ? Especially Useful Topics.
Live life...
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re:

Post by pschroeter »

nikos wrote:… or press <shift> then drag around your buttons
Great glob, I've been using x2 since 2007 and never knew I could do this. Thanks!