Renaming files containing spaces

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

lrnarasimhan

Renaming files containing spaces

Post by lrnarasimhan »

New user question:

My version of Photoshop creates files with embedded spaces:

e.g.
'18mar049.2dzoom copy' or '18mar037 copy' and so forth
I have about forty five files like this where I would like to strip the space and replace 'copy' with 'annotated'

e.g.
'18mar049.2dzoom copy' ---> '18mar049.2dzoomannotated'
or
'18mar037 copy' ---> '18mar037annotated'

I've not been able to find a wildcard that is compatible with spaces. I've searched various threads within this forum and the help files so I was hoping someone could teach me how to do a batch rename. I can't seem to tell Photoshop to use a printing character instead of the space, either.

Thanks,

--- Ravi
lrnarasimhan

Addendum: Renaming files containing spaces

Post by lrnarasimhan »

I neglected to mention my system configuration:

OS - Win XP Pro
2xExplorer Version - Z1 Omega Product Build: 1.4.1.12

--- Ravi
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Ravi-

The job seems to be perfectly suited for a mass file-renamer utility, such as THE Rename. This powerful freeware is available at http://www.herve-thouzard.com/therenamea.phtml A new (still more powerful) version is in pipeline..

-Narayan
lrnarasimhan

Post by lrnarasimhan »

narayan wrote:Ravi-

The job seems to be perfectly suited for a mass file-renamer utility, such as THE Rename. This powerful freeware is available at http://www.herve-thouzard.com/therenamea.phtml A new (still more powerful) version is in pipeline..

-Narayan
Narayan,

Thanks, I came across that package while searching the forum earlier and downloaded it. I think you had recommended it in one of your other posts. The online documentation for it is not quite clear on the wildcard specifier for spaces. Do you have any thoughts on how this might be done?

--- Ravi
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Since that is off-topic here, I am sending a PM to you.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

2x can't help you with spaces
you'd have to create & save a basic batch file and then paste it into a text editor that allows search & replace

the future is better in xplorer2 since you'll be able to tell batch files to use the short 8.3 names that don't contain spaces. But perhaps that won't help either if all you want to do is to eliminate the spaces