suggestion justify .ext trom title within column

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

JOn

suggestion justify .ext trom title within column

Post by JOn »

reet.

I have been using 2x for 20 mins now and I declare it bug free ;D

I have tried ALL the dual pane fruits out there and I really like this one. but as always one or two things bug me :-) and always really simple stuff.

I looked at the distro faq and noted that a .ext column was not deemed a done thing :| .... I can understand the reasoning but to sort by extention column is an option I use frequently. I understand that this is possible in explorer and with the click of a toolbar button in 2x but....... I like to see all the .ext lined up neatly. it is easier on the eye to see where one type ends and another begins.....handy when moving lots of filetypes about.
I am guessing that implementing this could be tricky with the design direction? so, if a .ext column is not possible what about justifying the title from the .ext within the same column?

oh...... to make more sense of the above , I speak of the detailed view way of file layout.

erm...., now. the toolbar. any way to remove buttons. I like the power offered by dual pane thingys but I rarely use most of the higher functions once set up. (applies to all such tools) so, the little used functions only serve to distract the eye for me. I would be quite happy to use some of these from the menu once a year maybe.
I thought of a nice way to do this. undock the toolbar then drag and drop the buttons back onto the main window :) ?? the first drop defining the 'split toolbar location' the second drop defining its orientation x/y ???? so, all of the toolbar function could be visable but split into two toolbars with interchangeble buttons.
show one,
show them both,
combine them,
divide the buttons between them.
blarr blarr.

I really like the sticky click and I guess lots of other features yet to discover.
But most importanty the tool feels very solid and slick. probably due to the cleverness of the author :¬)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

a separate extension column already exists in xplorer2 (2x is not developed any more)

there's no way to customize the toolbar; i guess your only option is to turn it off completely, leaving just the address bar
JOn

Post by JOn »

good to know :)

I very briefly looked at the x2a. will the option exist to customize the toolbar in late beta/final? for me. thats all that would make it perfect :)

Other food for thought:

I would really like to eliminate explorer/task bar/M$ junk from my system but as so much stuff out there relies on this I gave up with alternate shell's etc completely when xp arrived.
So.... I try to hide the xp UI wherever possible, most operations performed with the file app of choice. This includes hiding the task bar...alt/tab doing the biz. (yup its leading somewhere) The one thing I miss is the task bar time. any chance of a time bar/simple date in x2?. I know tonnes of time apps exist, but I only need 'the time'
erm....any way to control running apps?[size=24][/size]
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the idea with x2 is to collaborate with the system rather than replace it altogether. I personally like the taskbar-cum-quicklaunch bar, especially in autohide mode. Only things that definitely suck (aka explorer) need to be replaced!
JOn

Post by JOn »

well. Ive had by tuppence worth.

2x..great piece of work. I look forward to x2

I wish you success!