any problems with PDF search?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

any problems with PDF search?

Post by nikos »

as you know, xplorer2 professional can search for text in PDFs using the text filters available if you have adobe reader v7 or later installed. That's the theory anyway. Do you have any problems with it, eg xplorer2 not being able to find text you know exists in the PDF? (but beware some pdfs are pictures of text!)
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

On my working station there has never been Adobe Reader been installed, but I use Foxit's PDF IFilter. No problem here (searching, displaying in QuickView).
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Cosmo wrote:...I use Foxit's PDF IFilter. No problem here (searching, displaying in QuickView).
I'll second that for Vista x64, happily sans Adobe.  

(And thanks for the link; despite a natural prohibitive abhorrence for all things 'i-' prefixed :D, this one is actually acceptable.  They say a man should not outlive his teeth; may the same sentiment apply to Adobe bloatware as well.)
rusty

Post by rusty »

Nikos,

I can confirm your stated problem. I've some PDF files at work I cannot find any word in with xplorer2, however, when opening the files, Acrobat or Foxit will find the words I'm searching on.
I'll have to try and see on my own machines if the same problem occurs. The one at work is really filthy of testing and I always blamed that to be the issue, but as you state this problem just like I have, I'm curious.
Why do you ask?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

multiple cases:

1. XP/sp3 (32-bit) with Foxit iFilter and Foxit Reader installed.
Text within pdf's appears to always be found in x2 searches. :thumbup:
{note: there is NO Adobe reader installed in this case.}

2. Vista/sp1 (64-bit) with 64-bit Foxit iFilter and 32-bit Adobe Reader 9.0 installed over it.
Text within pdf's is never found in 64-bit x2 searches.  :(

3. Vista/sp1 (64-bit) with only 32-bit Adobe Reader 9.0 installed after uninstalling the Foxit iFilter (above) -- expecting Adobe's built-in iFilter to work.
{Maybe a re-install of Adobe reader might work, but I didn't try it.}

4a. Vista/sp1 (64-bit) with 32-bit Adobe Reader 9.0 and then 64-bit Foxit iFilter installed over it.
Text within pdf's appears to always be found in 64-bit x2 searches. :thumbup:

4b. Vista/sp1 (64-bit) with 32-bit Adobe Reader 9.0 and then 64-bit Foxit iFilter installed over it.
Text within pdf's is rarely found in 32-bit x2 searches.  :?

5a. Win7 beta build 7068 (64-bit) with 32-bit Adobe Reader 9.0

5b. Win7 beta build 7068 (64-bit) with 32-bit Adobe Reader 9.0
Text within pdf's is sometimes found in 32-bit x2 searches.  :shock:

5c. Win7 beta build 7068 (64-bit) with 32-bit Adobe Reader 9.0 and 64-bit Foxit iFilter installed over it, but no Foxit Reader.  
Text within pdf's appears to always be found in 64-bit x2 searches. :thumbup:

Bottom line seems to be that the Foxit iFilter is reliable, but the Adobe built-in is not.  It would seem obvious: just make sure that you match the bit depth of the Foxit reader with that of x2 [32 vs 64 bits].  

... g'nite ...  :roll:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks guys
rusty, can you send me one of these misbehaving PDFs (a small one)

fred, i suspect that your 64 bit woes come from bad registration, that leave a 32 bit IFilter handler that cannot be used with xplorer2 64 bit. To double check what DLL is active use that old demo video:
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/wink/pdfreg.htm
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@ woes - ?
No woes. I usually have no need to search within pdf's to find which one(s) I want to read.  
I was only describing what I found along the way to getting it to work, including a couple of curious side alleys.  :shrug:
rusty

Post by rusty »

Nikos,

I have several ones, where can I send them to? Can't find your emailaddress ...

--- Got it, thanks Fred (could have guess that one...)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for the record i don't have any problems finding text in the PDFs rusty emailed me, so this could be a problem with an old/buggy pdf filter or some 32/64 bit confusion as above
rusty

Post by rusty »

Nikos, thanks for your pm. Finally I dumped Adobe Reader and installed Foxit and Foxit PDF Ifilter on my machine. Now, after a reboot, everything runs fine.
Next week I'll try on my workstation at work and see how that goes (other, more recents PDF files).
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

rusty,
Note that you do not need the Foxit reader to use the Foxit iFilter.
They are separate applications.
Although many folks prefer it, Foxit does not have all the features of the Adobe reader.  So if you find you are missing any must-have features, go ahead and keep the Adobe reader.  But note that if you have to re-install the Adobe reader, be sure to reinstall/repair the Foxit iFilter afterwards so it becomes the registered iFilter.
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

In addition to the post by fgagnon:

There is another, very good alternative for a PDF-Reader (not Filter): PDF-XChange Viewer. Far more powerfull than Foxit without the problms of Adobe, multilanguage, reading comments and more can be added to the file, very often updated, free.

Note, that there comes a quick viewer as a separate installer in the ZIP-file, but this tool is not recommendable. PDF-XChange and Foxit IFilter in combination work perfectly together.
plugger

Re: any problems with PDF search?

Post by plugger »

Xplorer2 3.1.0.2 ULT ]Unicode] x64 1
Windows 7

"Find" does not find text in .PDF files. (OK in .doc files.)

Registry:
.pdf OpenWithList
  • AcroRd32.exe
    PDFReader.exe
AcroRd32.exe is "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC", 2015 Release Version 2015.009.20069
I don't know what PDFReader.exe is.

I use PDFXchange Viewer Version 2.5 as a default PDF reader.

I've tried with default file reader set to either Adobe or PDFXchange Viewer.

What should I look for?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the easiest solution would be to re-install PDF xchange viewer and make sure you leave all the default options ticked.
plugger

Post by plugger »

Problem was caused by the Adobe reader. Xplorer's Find works after removing Adobe.
The post from fgagnon (2009 Apr 02, 21:49 - seven years ago!) is the tip-off.

I tried removing PDFXChange viewer. "Find" still failed. I re-installed PDFXChange viewer. "Find" failed.
I tried to remove Adobe Reader. Could not. Got message “Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified location exists and is writable.”
Web search yielded https://support.software.dell.com/kb/134431, which instructed:
1. Stop the explorer.exe process from Task Manager
2. Open Task Task manager and start a new Explorer.exe task.
CTRL+ALT+DEL | Task Manager | Applications | New Task...
(I didn't need to restart Task Manager at step 2.)
That worked. I removed Adobe reader.
XPlorer2's Find worked after I removed Adobe. I'm running 64-bit Xplorer. The Adobe reader was 32-bit.