Type Column

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

benchuk

Post by benchuk »

My question is how I can add a culumn for TYPE OF FILE after Attributes like in explorer
I have a XP Win.
thanks
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

no is the short answer

type is fully determined by the extension
all you need to do is make sure this is visible, as explained in FAQ #13
tahir

Post by tahir »

Hi Everybody,

Although the following holds true for a regular user, when the hide option is disabled, it becomes necessary to write extentions of filename everytime when renaming a file. So, hiding extentions is a good feature that can not be waived easily.

I think this powerful tool ought to have a colomn for the file types. Sorting by type would be easier if that col would implemented.

Regards.

Q13. Where is the 'File Type' column in Details view?
A. Don't bother searching for that column, it's nowhere to be found in 2xExplorer. Since file type is fully determined by the MS/DOS filename extension (e.g. ".txt" for text files), there's no need to waste horizontal space and resources for a separate type column. The catch is that you must make sure that the MS/DOS extensions are visible on your desktop and hence in 2x. If you can't see no extensions, run windoze explorer, and select: FolderOptions | View | 'Hide File Extensions For Known File Types'; make sure this checkbox is cleared (a similar route is available for older win95 users). Then all your type information will be available from the filename. Keep in mind that 2x sorts files by extension as well as name.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

hiding extensions is a double-edged sword
it may be easier renaming when you don't want to change the extension (type) but it is a real problem if you want to change (say) a txt file to dat or whatever

BTW xplorer2 already has a type column
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

What about having two kind of rename feature ?

One as the current one and the other that would only select the basename of the file/folder when making it editable (which is far more used than the first one, in my opinion)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's a good idea but small command variants like that contribute towards menu & keyboard clutter, making the program more complex and driving away users. Look at what m$ is doing with hiding menu items in office applications and you'll see what i mean. Less is more sometimes