Feature Request: Flatten the folder I am currently viewing

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Feature Request: Flatten the folder I am currently viewing

Post by pschroeter »

Its seems to me that every time I realize I want to flatten a folder, it is is the one I'm currently viewing. I then have to navigate up one level first, then flatten it. I wish that the Browse flat command wasn't grayed out if I don't have anything selected. I also notice a slightly odd behavior that if I have a file that is not a folder selected the Browse flat command is active, but then opens up an empty scrap pane, it should default to flattening the folder the file is in.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is a bit quirky but as the current folder is always highlighted when you go one level up it is quite simple as a workaround: first go up then use file > browse flat
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

You could select all (Ctrl+A), the flatten (Shift+Enter). This would flatten the current folder into a new scrap pane.
Vas
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm just trying to save a step

Post by pschroeter »

I don't use this feature very often, so I'll remember it exists, go look for it in the menus, and then have a slight moment of frustration when I see it grayed out and can't figure out why it wouldn't be unavailable, and then remember I have to go up one level first.

If I Select All and then flatten, it does not include the documents in the folder I'm currently viewing, it only flattens the folders selected.

Its not a big deal, but I really can't see why Browse Flat ever has to be unavailable, and should default to the folder currently being viewed.
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: I'm just trying to save a step

Post by BRX »

pschroeter wrote: If I Select All and then flatten, it does not include the documents in the folder I'm currently viewing, it only flattens the folders selected.
You can send the remaining (selected) files to the flattened (scrap)pane with Ctrl-S by the way, just so you know.

But it's still a crutch and IMHO easier just to flatten from the parent folder.
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Feature Request: Flatten the folder I am currently viewi

Post by profess »

I sometimes want to flatten the current folder, to include all the files (as above requested from OP).

Sometimes I want to flatten the selected folders in a directory, and include any selected files also, to be included in the new scrap pane.

Workarounds? :) is it the order I'm doing it in or am I missing something? :?

Regards to all.
Live life...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Flatten the folder I am currently viewi

Post by nikos »

you can put the folders in a scrap pane (not flat, just the folders), then select all of them, press CTRL+O to make it dual pane, then press ALT+ENTER to flatten all of them