Feature request ->Threading

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

lemming

Feature request ->Threading

Post by lemming »

Hallo, everyone!

I think, that it will be very usefull to split opening of the folder in separate thread. So, I will be able to close 2xExplorer or browse other folders even if I open unreachable network host share. And if there will be a button which stops this browse thread, it will be just very cool!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this would be a useful feature but it requires a lot of work and i don't think it happens often enough to justify the programming effort

in xplorer2 you can have many windows open, each one on its own thread, so if you suspect a read might go amiss for some reason, you can do it in a new window, and continue working in the original one
lemming

Post by lemming »

okay, I also think that this feature wold be very usefull, but I can't use many windows opened because it's just not useable :D

Well I'll post another request in this thread.
Have you ever used Servant Salamander? IMHO most it's useful feature is searching directories (or files) with just typing them from main window. I know that it works in 2xExplorer, but not the way I want :).
For example, in Salamander I see vertical line in selected folder's name (cursor), which tells me where am I searching now. 2x does not.
And also, if I press backspace in Salamander, the cursor will go back, delete last entered search letter. 2x does not.

nikos wrote:this would be a useful feature but it requires a lot of work and i don't think it happens often enough to justify the programming effort

in xplorer2 you can have many windows open, each one on its own thread, so if you suspect a read might go amiss for some reason, you can do it in a new window, and continue working in the original one
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

> but I can't use many windows opened because it's just not useable

xplorer2 makes it quite easy to manage many windows. So like [Alt+Enter] which opens folders in the inactive pane, a new command [Ctrl+Enter] opens folders in a new frame window. You can't get much easier than that!

> Have you ever used Servant Salamander

Does bill gates use linux on his home computer? :)

> searching directories (or files) with just typing them from main window

i'm not sure i understood what you mean. "searching" as in the find command?
lemming

Post by lemming »

nikos wrote:Does bill gates use linux on his home computer? :)
I am sure that he does not. But he definitely checked out some of X interfaces. Just look at WinXP interface, don't you think that it is very near to some linux X interfaces? :)
nikos wrote:i'm not sure i understood what you mean. "searching" as in the find command?
No. I just open e: root folder and press some keys. For example, if my e: contains Motorola, Movies and Music folders, I press"m". The selection goes to Motorola.
Here we can see the cursor!
Than I press "u". The selection goes to Music.
And when I press backspace:
and then "o":

nikos wrote:xplorer2 makes it quite easy to manage many windows. So like [Alt+Enter] which opens folders in the inactive pane, a new command [Ctrl+Enter] opens folders in a new frame window. You can't get much easier than that!
sorry, but Ctrl + Return copies the name of the focused item from the active pane into the address bar
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i see what you mean
this is similar to the autocompletion supported by explorer
2x has a different type of "autocompletion" for quickly fetching previous paths by typing a part of them, as explained in keyboard.txt

wrt [Ctrl+Enter] you are right, but that's only when you are in the addressbar. If you hilight a folder in the active pane and press [Ctrl+Enter] you'll see what I mean
lemming

Post by lemming »

mmm, when I highlight (press left mouse button) on the folder, and press ctrl+enter, I see just the same if i pressed enter. Nothing special at all.

Win XP,
Product Build: 1.4.1.12

nikos wrote:i see what you mean
this is similar to the autocompletion supported by explorer
2x has a different type of "autocompletion" for quickly fetching previous paths by typing a part of them, as explained in keyboard.txt

wrt [Ctrl+Enter] you are right, but that's only when you are in the addressbar. If you hilight a folder in the active pane and press [Ctrl+Enter] you'll see what I mean
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this only works in the new xplorer2