Playing audio files

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Gordon

Playing audio files

Post by Gordon »

When attempting to playback some audio files (cda) that I had burned on to a CD I noticed that in 2xexplorer I was able to play them with Windows Media Player but not in Real One Player (I receive an "error with digital CD playback occurred" message). Is this a known problem? Is there a workaround as Real One player is my preferred media player?

Thanks
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i am not aware of this problem, how do you register the association for cda files?

you can try right click + open instead of a double-click
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I tried both double click as well as Right Click - "Play in RealOne player" yet still get the same error.
Using Windows Explorer it plays both ways.
Not a major problem, more frustrating than anything, especially as I already prefer RealOne Player and I'm moving towards 2xexplorer as my file manager yet can't seem to use RealOne from 2xexplorer.
Anything else you need to know that might help.
I had a look on the RealOne knowledge base but couldn't see anything.
Do you know of anyone else with this problem?

Thanks
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i haven't heard this one before
have you tried xplorer2?
off my head, since the fault happens with right-click too, this looks like a problem with the real player. I expect that other filemanagers (except explorer) will also stumble...
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

No probs with xplorer2, plays RealOne Player no probs, both Right click and double click.
Guess it must just be 2xexplorer, no point in fixing it as it's on the way out.
On the question of the new xplorer2, usually I avoid alphas, having been stung in the past with other products that were let out the bag too soon.
I know it's a bit vague, but how "safe" is xplorer2?
Has it been released for testing purposes (which I presume) or is it generally safe but still in the alpha stage as the feature set is not in place?
Generally I wait until the features are in and the bugs are out before jumping on board, so here's another even vaguer (is this a word!) question? What kind of timescale do you have in mind before going gold, ...even a ball park figure?

Thanks
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

its "safe" but I can't guarantee it!
i use it all the time myself, and other than a few crashes now and then i haven't lost any files -- yet :)

compared to 2x it already has more features but at the same time lacks a large chunk of the functionality and conveniences. It won't be ready for a long while, I can't estimate how long though