blog: future so bright, i gotta wear shades

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

things are taking shape and next week i believe i will send out some alpha version to all that signed up as testers

cindysdad

Post by cindysdad »

Nikos --
I noticed you had drag and drop tabs on your list.  If you do implement that, please supply a LOCK so I won't do it accidentally.

I have another program that allows me to move many 'dockable' panes.  What a pain, whenever I accidentally move one.
-- Keith  :cry:
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

nikos wrote:# Robust delete command
# New pane for on-board tutorials
# Improvements to folder synchronization and duplicate files checker
# Individual filename color coding rules can be turned on/off
# Rearrange tabs with drag-drop
# Change of registration keys (?)
# Better windows 7 compatibility (some leftover warts like libraries)
# (possibly) toolbar facelift for modern full color icons with alpha transparency
Excellent list Nikos.  I was particularly excited about the Win7 compatibility and drag&drop tabs, but now that I think about it, I will probably use the Robust delete command as well.  Not sure I fully understand the filename color coding one - I'll have to brush up on the existing feature first.

Thanks Nikos!  I look forward to testing 8) .
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Thracx wrote:Not sure I fully understand the filename color coding one - I'll have to brush up on the existing feature first.
Seems to be simply the ability to turn the filters on and off independently, rather than the current all/none choice.  You don't use colour coding?  I think I'd die without it.  Slowly.  Blindly.  Painfully.  Exactly why I'd want to turn a filter off I have no idea, but somebody must have inquired about it...

Speaking of filters not fully understood... maybe I'm not thinking here, but why would I want a filter under permanent deletion?  Generally speaking, before one goes near the perma-kill assassination button, one has already carefully selected the target files.  Is there an ulterior motive here, trying to subvert me into thinking first and shooting later?  I am not a pacifist.  (Funny, I never noticed how that word contains the word 'fist'... curious...)
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

In the past I did some testing for Apple and Adobe software. Man, I'd be in serious trouble if I published screenshots during testing :lol:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

If I got into serious trouble for checkboxes I'd become a bricklayer-hermit.  Oh, wait...  :wink:

The difference here is that Adobe doesn't actually like it's customers... (well, at least not the European ones... [overpricing, using "exchange rates" as some vain excuse comes to mind...])
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

And don't like their testers too... I never got some nice piece of software from them (well, except the Adobe reader of course...), whereas Nikos throws a bone every now and then. :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

The last bone he threw, this old dog already had.  Maybe I should be a cat, and lose a life-time update for every test I do?  All those 60" flatscreen telly prizes seem to be taken before I get there for some reason...
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Has anyone gotten the alpha to run on Wndows 7?

I get 6 or so assertions which I ignore but finally I just get a window saying "xplorer2 - ecplorer replacement has stopped working" and a Iget the option to close the program or check online for a solution and close.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

yes, up and running on 64-bit w7 RC build 7100 w/no problems.
(yes there are assertion errors, but all I have encountered are ignorable.)
To be fair, I have not checked out the new features; rather only verified that it would run OK.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Well, I can run it fine (1 assertion) in XP Home SP3 and Windows 7 RC 32-bit (7100) but in Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (7600) I get many assertions as mentioned above. This was all on the same PC with the same files.

I guess I'll send Nikos a debug log.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I get a single assertion and after that it seems to run OK.

Just sent Nikos an email detailing the assertion (complete with logs and a screen cap) but I never thought to keep hitting retry - I just tried retry once, and then decided to ignore.

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

when you get assertion errors you should click on ignore button, any other button would terminate the program. Click ignore and hopefully it will resume

ps what can you offer to the yuppie that has it all? Perhaps the thrills of trying something before anybody else? ;)
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

FrizzleFry wrote:I would like an options to automatically resize columns and to use the column headers as minimum size when resizing columns so that the headers do not get truncated.
The new feature:

* Tools > Options > Advanced has tickbox for automatically resizing the first column in detailed view mode

Takes care of my request very nicely.

Thanks.

Love the drag-n-drop tabs!
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...what can you offer to the yuppie that has it all? Perhaps the thrills of trying something before anybody else? ;)
I live for C++ Assertion Errors, it seems.  What man can know his destiny?  I dreamed a dream of philosophy and freedom, once.  Now I'm an assertion junkie.

Who knew? :D