Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Looking to replace my competing product

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

Hi all,

I have been looking to replace my file manager of choice. It's worked for six versions from several owners over the years, but v7 is flawed and I've decided it's time to change, what with Windows 7 on the horizon and all. So, here is my list of desired features, with things that I haven't yet been able to find in a trial of xplorer2 If I've missed anything or the feature is missing and won't be added, a heads up will help me out greatly. My first impression of xplorer2 is generally quite favourable.

WANTS
-Tree Folder Panel
-Details View with selectable columns
-Column Header selection of sort order, with Date defaulting FIRST to -Newest-To-Oldest order
-Details View sorted into FoldersFirst/ThenFiles order, no matter which Sort Order [SEEMS MISSING IN XPLORER2]
-File Content Viewer
-Back and Forth buttons for viewed folders
-Quick button for moving up a tree one level
-Icon access to the root of all drives, physical or mapped
-Multiple display of two different folders (or more)
-Quick Launch bar where executables can be dropped [SEEMS MISSING IN XPLORER2]
-Ability to set and remember which folder to view first
-Lasso ability to select files
-Ability to customize toolbars
-Using Zips as defacto Folders
-Ability to place toolbar on same level as the Menu Bar [SEEMS MISSING IN XPLORER2]
-Find File/Folder capability
-Size Totalizer for selected Files/Folders
-Ability to copy path for folder and for file to clipboard
-Ability to change folder icons Colours internally [SEEMS MISSING IN XPLORER2]

WOULD LIKE INTERNAL OPTIONS FOR CURRENT 3rd PARTY HAVES
-Ability to collapse sub-folders into the folder you have selected
-Ability to dependably move/copy big file sets comprising of many smaller fiels

WOULD NOW LIKE TO ADD CAPABILITY TO DO [SEEMS MISSING IN XPLORER2]
-Using Rars as defacto Folders
-Ability to clear/refresh memory after a series of file operations fills/overflows undo buffer
-Ability to set font metrics separately for folder tree and file details
-Be able to delete a folder after moving its contents AFTER renaming one of the files first

As you can see, there isn't much on my list that xplorer2 can't do that my current file manager can. The files before folders issue is admittedly stylistic, but it grates me that I can't find the setting to set it in xplorer2. And I could live with my own quicklaunch bar pinned to the xplorer2's window title bar. But I'd like something self-contained better.  The third-party solutions I currently use would be nice to have internally too. But that's icing. And of course, the REAL icing would be the Added Capabilities, especially for handling RAR files identically to zips AND the memory refresh button (My current file manager stops updating the display after a very little bit of file-slinging around the computer. Forces me to continually manually refresh or restart). And I wear out the right-click Unlocker link on folder movements.

Well, AM I a future xplorer2 user? Thanks for any guidance you have to offer.

GM
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks for your interest in xplorer2

as in all separations you won't find in xplorer2 exactly what you had in (powerdesk?) but you will find some variation of what you knew, then some more!

picking up on what you found missing in xplorer2:

* to keep folders separately in sorting use Tools > Options > Window, there's a folders sorted drop down box with your wanted option

* there is no launchbar but you can use the miniscrap (View menu) as a direct substitute, drag drop what you need in there (including bookmarks and commands)

* xplorer2 can't change folder icons directly except through standard windows customization (go to folder property page). AFAIK it works with all 3rd party icon customization tools

as for the "clearing the memory" bit I don't think there's an issue since xplorer2 won't foul your memory and resources to begin with. See a comparison article I did some time ago:
www.zabkat.com/blog/27May07.htm

and for more ideas how xplorer2 can help you see the demo videos here:
www.zabkat.com/x2facts.htm
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Getting close to signing on

Nikos,

Thanks for your reply and for the product itself. You WERE right on Powerdesk, although I've used ExplorerPlus for most of the twins' lifespans. The memory refresh issue got me to jump from ExplorerPlus to PowerDesk 7 to revisit a version I'd panned when it came out. Took less than a week for me to remember just why I hated PDv7. Sooo, I went back to EPv6 and then started my search for the next file manager.

I've been impressed with both your product and with DirectoryOpus, which it seems to have come down to. Frankly, both products are first rate and you do have a pricing advantage. I implemented your suggested change for the folders first issue. And I understand the refresh issue ISN'T in X2. As you say, the other cosmetic issues are solvable through either things I've written or other third-party apps.

Which brings me to the crucial part now. Direct handling of ZIP and RAR files as virtual folders. I seemed to have gotten it wrong that X2 does it for ZIPs. Maybe through an add-in? But this is sort of an important feature. DO has both ZIP and RAR handling. And despite copious space, I still zip up a LOT of my data. I have 7zip installed and that's my preferred handler. But creating ISN'T the issue. It's the smooth handling of the zip files from within the file manager.

So there we are. I want to sign up. But I have to have ZIP virtualization at a minimum. And RAR handling would be nice too. IF there's an add-in or a setting I missed/changed wrongly, then My PayPal bucks will be in your hand for the close of the day. Otherwise, I fear I'm headed off into that other direction.

GM

PS: Can you direct me to the parts of the license where it tells me if I can use a pro version on virtual machines on the same computer as I use it in regular mode?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you are using anything windows XP or later you get seamless ZIP functionality (but that's it, no RAR or any other compression format):
www.zabkat.com/blog/06Apr08.htm

there's no mention of virtual machines in the licence file, so the same idea applies: one user, one licence, regardless of # of PCs. That covers virtual machines too
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I'm sold

Rather, Nikos, I was already sold. Plunked down the dollars two nights ago, including the lifetime upgrades.

Thanks for the followups. GM