More love for Windows 7 in the coming version of x2

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

More love for Windows 7 in the coming version of x2

Post by wasker »

Nikos, is it possible to add taskbar progress indication in robust copy, move and delete progress windows when x2 is running on Windows 7?

That'd be a really nice touch!
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

how does that look? do you have any link?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I believe he's referring to this:

...which looks even better if one uses extended length taskbar icons (registry fix *) with text, but to each his own.

Purely a superficial effect, but it is pretty.  That said, if the task is hidden in the background, the highlight does provide a more visual record than the standard "percentage" display.

Code: Select all

* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics 250
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so does it work already?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

No, this is just what you get from a standard drag-drop - the robust copy shows nought but a boring grey bar and textual percentage.

(Example as per registry, above.)
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Kilmatead showed right picture.
nikos wrote:so does it work already?
In x2 -- no, unless someone still uses drag-n-drop for copying. I'd like to see progress indication in robust progress windows (copy, move, delete).

This article will give you some pointers to their new taskbar APIs.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

...and just in case Nikos is wondering why he might bother with something so seemingly frivolous and trite as a simple graphical augmentation (when the rest of the world is going to heck in a handbasket), keep in mind that graphical integration with a trendy new OS is sexy, and, Nikos, sex sells.

(Disclaimer: I do not actually hold the above opinion myself, and would personally prefer to lead a life fomenting strife and amity of medieval proportion if left to my own devices - but it is sexy, and sex does sell.  And as mentioned, if the copy/move is relegated to a background process, this is a subtle - yet still visual - reminder of time/progress left.)

(Now, off to figure out how to sell strife and amity to unsuspecting retirees... :wink:)
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Kilmatead wrote:...and just in case Nikos is wondering why he might bother with something so seemingly frivolous and trite as a simple graphical augmentation (when the rest of the world is going to heck in a handbasket), keep in mind that graphical integration with a trendy new OS is sexy, and, Nikos, sex sells.
Well, I was thinking of Nikos making the life of his software users easier (background process progress notification, you know), but yeah, you can view this suggestion from this point as well.