Hardcopy folders

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

slipz42

Hardcopy folders

Post by slipz42 »

I would like to get a neat folder listing on hardcopy. I try from the menu: Mark/Print selection. This does give the short list of that folder. But, all the folders are not expanded. I'm looking for the complete list. Can I get them all expanded?

I'm hoping to consult the folder tree away from the computer to reflect what contents are best deleted, or moved.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you cannot get a list of all files and folders (recursively) from 2xExplorer
if you are only interested in folders, you can try the [Ctrl+D] command which has a right-click menu item for "printing" its contents

the new xplorer2 has a command that enables you to "flatten" a complete folder hierarchy -- you have to open a scrap frame from Window menu. Then you can "print" the contents by selecting all files and building a pseudo-script (batch file) using a template like $F to give you the fullpaths of all items

BTW xplorer2 can also synchronize folder trees recursively, so you may not need to get printouts for manual comparisons after all!
slipz42

Post by slipz42 »

nikos wrote:you cannot get a list of all files and folders (recursively) from 2xExplorer
if you are only interested in folders, you can try the [Ctrl+D] command which has a right-click menu item for "printing" its contents
That one gives no dates for folders. No modified or created. Important to help me reflect.
nikos wrote: the new xplorer2 has a command that enables you to "flatten" a complete folder hierarchy -- you have to open a scrap frame from Window menu. Then you can "print" the contents by selecting all files and building a pseudo-script (batch file) using a template like $F to give you the fullpaths of all items
Ok. I click the Scrap frame thing. But the window is empty.

What is the menu command you were suggesting after that?

Maybe some people might think of other software solutions too?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the easiest thing to do is open a scrap frame, then right-drag the folder you want in there, picking the flatten path menu item when you drop

unfortunately, if it is dates that you are after, the $F script "trick" i mentioned won't be too helpful. In a future build there will be a command to extract all the column info as text, that can be used for printing etc