Bookmarks disappear

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

danielrod

Post by danielrod »

Holy smokes.  Latest update: I just opened one of my Layouts, deleted a bookmark from the bookmark menu (the sample FTP one), saved my layout, shutdown xplorer2, and restarted it.  now the buttons are gone from the toolbar as well.

FYI.

-- Daniel
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the toolbar bit is easily explained as these are layout-specific. You switch to a different layout and you get other toolbars and buttons

however bookmarks disappearing from the menu, that i don't get. It's something else outside xplorer2. Either something interferes or you force a different set of options using the /I command line switch :shrug:
danielrod

Post by danielrod »

Either something interferes or you force a different set of options using the /I command line switch
I've never use the command line for controlling xplorer2. Didn't even know the option existed.

Anyway, another interesting thing happened today. The x2solo layout that I deleted a week ago suddenly reappeared in my Window menu this morning.  Am I doing something wrong?

-- Daniel
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you have xplorer2 associated with your filesystem folders, so you clicked on a folder on your desktop which uses the x2solo layout, so it recreated it from the defaults. Perhaps you need to uninstall the explorer replacement feature?
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/11Jan09-defa ... iation.htm
railshot

Post by railshot »

I have a similar problem. In my case all the settings disappear. I prefer to keep xplorer always running. I noticed that periodically it just spontaneously shuts down (even when it's just sitting in the background). After I restart it, it starts as if freshly installed. I get a popup about the optional Ifilters. My toolbars are gone, BM's gone, etc. Last 2 occurrences happened with in minutes of each other. The only thing i was doing at the time is reading this board.
I have a registered pro version 1.8.0.1 64 bit
Windows 7 64 bit
I run NOD32
I did a deep scan with NOD32 AV, it did not find any problems
Going to run a couple of free online scans just to make sure it's not a virus.
But if it keeps happening this often, reloading the settings file might become too annoying.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this behaviour implies that xplorer2 thinks your key is fake. Send me an email with your registration details and i'll have a look
jim28277

Post by jim28277 »

I recently had a similar experience. My Bookmarks disappeared. Fortunately, I was able to isolate the problem to a utility program that I run to clean my system of any unused or unwanted files. In my case the culprit was COMODO System Cleaner. One of its featured is to wipe privacy files from various sources (one of them being Explorer2 Favorites from my registry file). I was able to recreate the occurrence several times and at least in my case, was able to identify what was causing my Bookmarks to disappear. I am sure many others are running similar cleaning utilities or their security programs are doing some of these things automatically. Unfortunately, I do not have a tech background and can not add further insight to any other possible causes. I hope this helps in some small way.

BTW Nikos, love Exploer2. It's easy, efficient and simplifies file and folder management. Thanks for this great program.
Best regards Jim
srdjan

Post by srdjan »

I had the same issue this morning! And this happened many times before. This is my first visit to the forums but as I can see this problem affects manu users.

I really can't find any pattern how to reproduce this problem. My bookmarks simply dissapear. If I add them again - after few days or week they dissapear again. Only first three bookmarks at the top remains there.

Because all of these dissapearings I decided to stop using this feature until it gets fixed (hopefully soon).

Regards
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

most of the people that have this problem had a registry cleaner or other
i don't think this is xplorer2's fault
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Well, today the first time the bookmarks disappeared in my x2, too. Interestingly not all of them (I just had 6 and 3 remained).

I definitely didn't change the registry and have no idea what caused it.

So no help from here, but I wanted to report.
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

i had disappearing bookmarks a few times in 1.7.2.6 on windows 7 x64.  i didnt use a registry cleaner.
mmelo

Post by mmelo »

I lost my bookmarks round about 1.8.0.8. I also don't have any registry cleaners or anything. The toolbar was there, the number of entries remained the same but other than the first one (that somehow lived through it) all the other entries had reverted to "Bookmark2" etc. I just put it down to computer weirdness and didn't bother too much with it.

Somewhat related, one thing that still happens is that sometimes when I close x2 I get a "Save changes to 'shortcuts.cida' ?" dialog (I believe due to the links that I have on my mini scrap, even though I NEVER change those).
Last edited by mmelo on 2010 Mar 21, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
srdjan

Post by srdjan »

Interesting thing is that today I left with only two bookmarks.
The only thing I am using is Microsoft Security Essentials. Nothing exotic...
Vista SP2
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the only confirmed 'disappearing bookmark' cases are due to registry cleaners. Other than that I don't know what to imagine. This problem affects only a very small minority, and although i'd like to help, I can't see how!

as for the CIDA file, it looks like it has some of its content missing, so that's why it's saying to save itself. Goto Tools > advanced options and make sure 'autosave scrap pane contents' is ticked, or just save it once and it will stop complaining
mmelo

Post by mmelo »

nikos wrote: as for the CIDA file, it looks like it has some of its content missing, so that's why it's saying to save itself. Goto Tools > advanced options and make sure 'autosave scrap pane contents' is ticked, or just save it once and it will stop complaining
Alas, saving it hasn't stopped x2 asking to save again the following time. I'll try the 'autosave scrap pane contents' option (other than the mini scrap, what else will this save?).