sort of beta build 1803

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Ah that's a clever trick to make people read the blogs :)

I was looking for a new link in this thread. When I found none,  I expected that the same link at the beginning now points at the latest version.
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

The same as Gandolf: No pre-definition for ctrl-alt-shift-h, but 33163 was in the keyboard dialog, so I could assign it.

On this specific machine the 1.8.0.3 was not installed, but custom keyboard settings had been applied.

Still unhappy, that none of my suggestions (a few days ago) are implemented (but I found the icon for the new Administrator-command in the icon list).

One more finding:
If hidden files get shown the status bar message shows (as expected) "Show hidden files enabled". BTW, it should better say "Show hidden files and folders (or shorter: objects) enabled".
But if hidden objects get hidden by the shortcut it says "Pane contents have been refreshed ok". This is rather meaningless in this context. Why not "Hidden objects are not shown"?

Until this is cleared up I will wait until providing the German translations.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

all these messages are not essential; you can see the hidden files in the folder list so you don't need a confirmation on the status bar, but at any rate x2 shows you a message but only when hidden files are enabled
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

You can only see hidden files, if there are any in the current view. There is the chance, that you enable the view of hidden files and there are none (because you cannot remember, if there are any and simply try out). Obviously you see no change in the file list at all.

Nevertheless, a message telling about the pane refresh is not specific at all. Ctrl-R does the same.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

It is better to have an icon that shows the hidden item's view status.
(Say, an "eye+ ban symbol" icon that is shown pressed when the hidden items are actually showing)

Ban symbol = red circle with a diagonal line across it, as in here:
http://surhul.co.uk/files/minisites/185 ... g_Logo.jpg
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you see the refresh message because the view refreshes to show/hide the hidden files
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Sure but that lasts for just 4 seconds. After that, the user no longer has a visual clue about what the display mode is. The only way to ascertain that would be to toggle the display mode and see what the status line says. In that process, the user has to necessarily toggle the display mode. So he may have to toggle it once again to get the desired mode.

That's not elegant.

In contrast, a toolbar icon will be a permanent display of the status. It will also help users who prefer to use mouse for their operations.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I agree with narayan. :thumbup:
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

An icon similar to the Sticky icon would be nice for the toggle hidden command.
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Completely agree with narayan. Some sort of visual indicator is required. Either a toggle like the sticky selection or another status bar icon like the green filter
Vas
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you ganging up against the poor developer again? :P
guys, what more indicator you need when you see/not desktop.ini and all the rest of it?
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Why bother having icons and status info, if all you need to do is guess what is going on in front of you...

Why bother having an icon for a filter in the bottom left...

This is all about ease of use and improving the user experience.
Vas
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

I'm on your side Nikos, but then I have everything accessible (including System Volume Information) and would never work otherwise.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

OK let's think from from the point of a guy who has something to hide.

He would be concerned that the hidden items should not show up inadvertently (especially when others are looking on). He needs to know the display mode regardless of WHERE he is at the moment.

So he should not have to rely on obscure things like whether the ini file is visible. (First of all, the ini file is NOT supposed to be there in ALL folders. Even if it is present in the current folder, it will NOT always be in the visible frame;  so the user will have to fish for it. Mind you, the purpose of this hard labor is just to know whether the hide mode is ON).

Now suppose he does not see the ini file. What then? Does that mean that the hide mode is ON, or he simply missed the file?

Life would be far easier if a toolbar icon-cum-indicator is provided. :)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Thanks,narayan,
I was about to make the same kind of argument:
It boils down to the fact that NOT seeing a hidden file in one's particular view does not imply that show hidden files is OFF.

As far as ganging up goes, nikos ... I try to refrain from it unless it appears you are missing a perspective which is obvious to others as justifying a significantly beneficial feature for them. (& usually it is something I would like as well. ;) )