Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

aria1946

Can't re-enable Explorer replacement feature

Post by aria1946 »

Version: 1.8.0.9
O/S: Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Xplorer2 64-bit

I used to have Xplorer2 as my explorer replacement, but reinstalled the program without selecting the appropriate checkbox to try and eliminate a bookmark problem.

Now I want to re-enable that feature, but I can't. After uninstalling and even removing all the registry entries, after reinstalling with the appropriate boxes checked, when I double-click a folder icon I get the folder displayed in Explorer.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what's the content of this registry key?
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

also note that some folders will open with windows explorer even when x2 is set as explorer replacement. Only normal folders like 'c:\temp' will open in x2
aria1946

Post by aria1946 »

nikos wrote:what's the content of this registry key?
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

also note that some folders will open with windows explorer even when x2 is set as explorer replacement. Only normal folders like 'c:\temp' will open in x2
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
@="open_x2"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\open\command]
@=""C:\\Program Files\\zabkat\\xplorer2\\xplorer2_64.exe" /S:x2solo /1 /M /T "%1""
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell value should be open, not open_x2. Did you change this key manually? Let the installer do all the default actions
aria1946

Post by aria1946 »

nikos wrote:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell value should be open, not open_x2. Did you change this key manually? Let the installer do all the default actions
Yes I used a script which I got from a link somewhere in the forum.

open_x2 is now open, and I have my explorer replacement back. Thank you again for your help.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

tomorrow you'll tell me that your bookmarks are gone but hey :)
aria1946

Post by aria1946 »

nikos wrote:tomorrow you'll tell me that your bookmarks are gone but hey :)
I have another registry hack ready to go if that happens... :)

On a more positive note, I now find that the global setting to not stay resident seems to be sticking, whereas it wasn't before during the time of the bookmark woes.
mmelo

Post by mmelo »

My integration hasn't worked no matter how much I install and reinstall and press the explorer replacement button (and making sure x2 process isn't running prior to restart).

I had a look at my registry and for those keys I have

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\xplorer2\\xplorer2_uc.exe\" /S:x2solo /1 /M /T \"%1\""
I even tried adding @="open" to the [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\open] but to no avail. Windows Explorer still opens every time.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what's the default value of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell? that should be 'open'
mmelo

Post by mmelo »

There was nothing there! I put open and now it's flying! Thx Nikos.

I don't know but, maybe the integration with explorer script should hammer than key (as well as as HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\open\command) for those who, like me, somehow didn't have anything in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell ?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't understand why you guys overcomplicate things, the way to turn on the explorer replacement is not to use the old scripts, just run the installer again
mmelo

Post by mmelo »

That's what I'm saying, nikos - I never run any of the old fashioned scripts.

I tried re-installing over an old version, ticked the option to replace win explorer, and it didn't fix it. Then I completely uninstalled x2, selected to delete all keys etc, re-installed and ticked the option to replace win explorer again, and it still didn't fix it.

It seems that, though the install may be indeed creating the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\open\command key it certainly doesn't seem like it recreates the default for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

nikos wrote:i don't understand why you guys overcomplicate things, the way to turn on the explorer replacement is not to use the old scripts, just run the installer again
Sometimes old scripts do the right things. :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
BuBBy

Post by BuBBy »

aria1946 wrote:
nikos wrote:HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell value should be open, not open_x2. Did you change this key manually? Let the installer do all the default actions
Yes I used a script which I got from a link somewhere in the forum.
xplorer2 User Manual - Page 313 wrote: Now we will see how to change the x2 settings by editing the registry:
A. How to make x² your default folder application
As part of the installation process, x² adds "open with xplorer2" in the context menu for
filesystem folders.
If you want to have this the default action (so that folders always open in x2 when you click on
them) then make sure this is the default verb, either using Folder Options ("file folder" type) or
editing the registry:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
@="open_x2"
Perhaps an update is needed?  :oops: