Tree pane - position of active folder

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jgt1942
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Tree pane - position of active folder

Post by jgt1942 »

I use dual horizontal folder panes and would like to tell X2 to automatically  position and highlight the active folder in the center of the Tree pane. Currently if I click in the top folder pane, the active folder is highlighted in the tree pane at the bottom of the tree pane. If I click in the bottom folder pane, the tree pane shifts the active highlighted folder to the top of the tree pane. Very often I need to see the folders either just above or just below the active folder. The shifting focus is annoying as well as being forced to either scroll up or down. For me it would be MUCH better if the highlighted active folder was positioned in the center of the tree pane. Is this possible in the current version of X2 ( I'm running 1.8.0.9 [Unicode] x64)? If not I'd greatly appreciate this either being the default or a user option.

In a text editor I use I can set the "current" line to default to any line of the text file (user option) and I find this to be a very desirable feature.
jgt1942
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is a reasonable request but the tree control has a mind of its own!
jgt1942
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jgt1942 »

Perhaps a good challenge for you....  :lol: ... tks
jgt1942
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tree pane - position of active folder

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

jgt1942 wrote:I use dual horizontal folder panes and would like to tell X2 to automatically  position and highlight the active folder in the center of the Tree pane. Currently if I click in the top folder pane, the active folder is highlighted in the tree pane at the bottom of the tree pane. If I click in the bottom folder pane, the tree pane shifts the active highlighted folder to the top of the tree pane. Very often I need to see the folders either just above or just below the active folder. The shifting focus is annoying as well as being forced to either scroll up or down. For me it would be MUCH better if the highlighted active folder was positioned in the center of the tree pane. Is this possible in the current version of X2 ( I'm running 1.8.0.9 [Unicode] x64)? If not I'd greatly appreciate this either being the default or a user option.

In a text editor I use I can set the "current" line to default to any line of the text file (user option) and I find this to be a very desirable feature.
It's not a perfect solution, but I swear by WizMouse, which can be found at the incredibly long URL of http://antibody-software.com/web/softwa ... the-mouse/

What WizMouse does is allow you to scroll WITHOUT SELECTING any scrollable lists. Great for File listings or spreadsheets. It can scroll trees while still in the file panel. Or other panels. It's being updated fairly regularly and is freeware. Give it a try.

GM
jgt1942
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jgt1942 »

WizMouse really helps with the annoying loss of mouse control as you move to a window and sorta helps with my issue on the Tree pane. At least I can scroll much easier. Possibly as I play with it more it may be the solution fo r me. Thanks.
jgt1942
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Gary M. Mugford wrote:I swear by WizMouse
Ordinarily I'd hate "another tray-based thingie" but this little thing is quite useful (not least within x2 itself to scroll either pane regardless of active status!).  Thanks for the suggestion.  Any discovered conflicts in your experience?
jgt1942
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jgt1942 »

For me I've started using it without any issues and it is a big plus with other applications. I will soon be installing it on all of my systems - great suggestion.
jgt1942
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

Kilmatead wrote:
Gary M. Mugford wrote:I swear by WizMouse
Ordinarily I'd hate "another tray-based thingie" but this little thing is quite useful (not least within x2 itself to scroll either pane regardless of active status!).  Thanks for the suggestion.  Any discovered conflicts in your experience?
I guess I've used it for about nine months now. I also check the box to hide the icon in the systray. As to things that might go bump in the night... nothing I can pin to WizMouse. It takes up more memory than you'd think. And it's been updated four or five times since I first installed 1.0.0.2, if memory serves correctly. So SOMETHING has needed updating. But I think mostly it's been things to make it work in Win7 and 64bit environments. The last update was something about Corel, which is an ill-behaved program at the best if times (but I still love it more than Photoshop/AI, even in the worst of times. If only they could figure a way to paste directly from Firefox). There MIGHT be an issue with Delphi 7, since I get sideways scrolling rather than vertical with my scroll-wheel, but that problem pre-dated WizMouse. Hope that helps quell any qualms.

GM
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Gary M. Mugford wrote:Hope that helps quell any qualms.
Wasn't a matter of qualms (I'm well used to trying software), just prudence before I blame someone else for eating all my biscuits. :D  It just seemed to work too well right off (in said Win7 x64 milieu), which always makes me suspicious. :evil:
Gary M. Mugford wrote:It takes up more memory than you'd think.
Now that I did notice.  Tom Waits wrote a song called "What's he building in there?" which, funnily enough, was the first thing that came to mind.  For a 55KB dll, it does seem to be a hungry little biscuit-beaver.

All seems kosher, though.  Thanks again.
jgt1942
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jgt1942 »

I'm using WizMouse in Win7 x64 (just started using it) and so far no issues that i can point to WizMouse as the fault. Looks like it is using about 5MB of memory which seem to be a bit much for the size of the application. Also it is x32 bit application, not that it really matters.
jgt1942
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

We're way off topic here already but as per WizMouse and memory usage, here's a quick metaphor involving crayons explaining memory usage for dummies (that includes me): Clicky.
jgt1942
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jgt1942 »

AH - that was helpful!!! I was reporting Working Set, not the Private Working Set (which is only 536K).

Tks for the URL this cleared the air for me.
jgt1942