blog: greece rescue plan

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

There's a particular irony there that only a select minority (who pay attention to such things) would even know who or what a Beth Ditto is (I had to look it up, not being one of the culturally hip people).  So I would consider her an unfortunate example.

A more apt view would be to point out how much Old English (as in the real thing, i.e. Beowulf, et al) inherited from Germanic origins (not just pronunciation), even before the eventual fall of the Roman Empire in the West.  (Which, we might add, caused a great many people a great many hardships, as well as freedoms - and all instigated at the Gothic and VisiGothic sacking of High Culture.  There's a reason Alaric sat on the pope's throne, thinking it was the true seat of the Empire his people so hated - only for his conquering to backfire worse than his ignorance.)  Perhaps what goes around really does come around? :wink:

History is a dangerous thing.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:History is a dangerous thing.
In Germany it is strictly prohibited to mention it anyway.

(I'm not hip either. ;))
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:In Germany it is strictly prohibited to mention it anyway.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Ah, Latin, world's favorite globalized language for several thousand years. :)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i should have known that it was you two that took over the comment area again!

the article was about inherent structural faults that caused greece to be in such a mess, the financial crisis (which isn't such a big deal as I said in the past) is but one of the symptoms

in the end of the day, we declare bankruptcy and problem solved! Just a few jews will be sore @rsed for a while. The euro will collapse and then germans will be really happy because americans will be buying BMWs instead of japanese cars. Everyone's happy ;)
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

While I am an American, I have to say it is a privilege to see someone else thinks like I do about this country's politics.  I salute you Tuxman and Kilmatead.

The biggest problem we have here is that everyone and their mother thinks that just because they are American (funny thing, really, considering we are the United States of America, one of 3 countries on the North American continent - doesn't that make Mexicans and Canadians Americans too?  And what about all the Latino countries in South America?  It's America too,....)

The people here are also very very non-responsibility taking.  No one wants the responsibility for anything - always shove it off on your neighbor or else pass the buck to the next paeon in line.  If this county stood up and started educating its youth, and then let those educated youth make an informed decision in even one single election - both the Republican and Democrat parties would be kicked out of most major offices in a matter of minutes.  Instead, they cry promises of education and then never follow through.  You might as well be buying snake oil from them.  With snake oil you actually get something tangible - useless, for sure, but tangible all the same.

I really wish I could figure out the engine of America - and then lean how to stop it....

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

johngalt wrote:(funny thing, really, considering we are the United States of America, one of 3 countries on the North American continent - doesn't that make Mexicans and Canadians Americans too?  And what about all the Latino countries in South America?  It's America too,....)
A recent discussion about that: http://chatroulettetrolling.com/2010/03 ... e-evicted/

(This board is just "a comment area"? :shock:)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
mmelo

Post by mmelo »

I believe it is about time we hold a P.I.G.S. party on his forum! I'll bring in the Portuguese Pasteis de Nata, Kilmatead you bring in Guinness, Nikos brings the Feta Cheese!

We're just missing a Spaniard. Anyone?  :lol:

On our merry way down the toilet...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

mmelo wrote:We're just missing a Spaniard.
At the risk of the pot calling the kettle black, Italy is one of the PIIGS too.  I reckon Ireland owes them a few digs from the World Cup anyway.  As Schumacher abandoned Ferrari, so Germany abandons Italy.  And Nikos worries about Greek politikos being crooked?
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

I wish you would post in english.

Post by pschroeter »

Since I know this is a complex issue, I expect Babelfish will miss all the nuances and be useless. The end result is I'm still curious and feeling that I'm missing out. You kind have created a post only for a small group of users who speak English (a reflected in the the rest of the forum) and Greek. Or are there other boards that are only in Greek, German, ect?
mmelo

Post by mmelo »

Kilmatead wrote:
mmelo wrote:We're just missing a Spaniard.
At the risk of the pot calling the kettle black, Italy is one of the PIIGS too.  I reckon Ireland owes them a few digs from the World Cup anyway.  As Schumacher abandoned Ferrari, so Germany abandons Italy.  And Nikos worries about Greek politikos being crooked?
Yes, the original PIIGS does include Italy but I am under the impression, maybe wrong though, that they are much better off than the rest of us are nowadays. They may have a buffoon for a president (great taste in women, though) but I believe they are economically more stable...

Portugal has always been a bloody effin' mess so no change there. Greece always looked economically flakey to me so no surprises. Spain is surprising, I admit. But must admit, however, that out of this I am most surprised with the Irish condition. I never expected these many troubles after the last 15-odd years of prosperity. I lived there for 5 months in 1995 and really enjoyed it, so I follow it with some interest.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

mmelo wrote:But must admit, however, that out of this I am most surprised with the Irish condition. I never expected these many troubles after the last 15-odd years of prosperity.
Having just started to implement the NAMA (National Assets Management Agency) - re: NAMA-geddon, Viet-NAMA, etc. - it's all topical in the news here again.  As usual, this legislation does nothing for "common people" it's only to bail out the Banks who got stung by the property developers.

It should be remembered that 15 years of prosperity followed on from 50 years (if not forever) of island-mentality, waste, decay, "the troubles", and emigration.  Such things take their toll on a populace.

So along comes a bubble.  A big bubble.  A big 15-year-long bubble.  Just long enough for a generation to grow up without knowing unemployment, or butter-vouchers, or how 5-pence could buy you one cigarette and a match from the local shop.

Instead you had overdrafts, holidays, "investment", big houses, fast cars, and immigration, lots of immigration.  If you let a generation grow up thinking that working in MacDonald's is "beneath them" and that the "Polish people should do it", you're going to end up with a mess.

So, you can blame the banks, investors, governments, or abstract nebulous things like "the American economy", or just people's stupidity and lack of memory, etc., etc., etc.

But it's really very simple: Bubbles burst.  And the Gods care not for the things of Man.  One thing is built upon another, and another on top of that, and so on.  People really do become irrational, ask for too much, and assume it'll last forever.

People are, as a general rule, always wrong.  Even when they're right, they're still wrong, as a happenstance of social irrationality.

At the very least, a people who have been "doing their thing" quietly for 5,000 years will no doubt weather a simple glitch like this, accept the losses, and get on with complaining about everyone else, and in particular the noisy neighbours.

It's what we do.

You'd have to point me to a link saying Italy is magically "doing better these days".  They've always been the poster-child for governmental and economic instability, no?

And just for the record, the "going rate" for a single cigarette from the shop these days is 50-cents in euro.  And you don't even get a match anymore - you're left to beg for a light.  Such is the way of things.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

all these GDP and growth rates are such nonsense anyway
you could run down the high street and throw stones breaking all the displays. That is also added in the GDP, nice!

and wait until the rubbish dumps are full, the air is hard to breath, we run out of water and gas, and all the other ticking bombs of the exponential growth model

then we'd all forget about greece or ireland
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...and wait until the rubbish dumps are full, the air is hard to breath, we run out of water and gas, and all the other ticking bombs of the exponential growth model
Advertisement in Blade Runner wrote:"A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies. The chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure."
Robert2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Robert2 »

Advertisement in Blade Runner wrote:"A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies. The chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure."
Hi Kilmatead,
Where can I buy a ticket?
When is the next flight?

Joke aside, this is the Gold Rush redux…

I recently read that most people taking part in the American Gold Rush never actually made money. The only ones who became rich were the guys selling prospecting equipment… and the dream-merchants of course…

You might be interested to read “Hope is For little Kids and Tooth Fairies” at http://www.joebageant.com/joe/2010/03/hope-is-for.html