No Drag and Drop to xplorer2? Can that be right?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

djMot

No Drag and Drop to xplorer2? Can that be right?

Post by djMot »

I just tried to drag and drop a folder from the desktop to a pane in xplorer2 and it did absolutely nothing.  I expected the folder to be moved since the target was another location on the same drive.

Is that right?  You cannot drag & Drop to xplorer2?

Tried to drop onto the other pane.  Nothing.

Tried to drop onto the target folder in the folder tree.  Nothing.
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Just tried folders rooted in the desktop, program and folder shortcuts without any problems. All moved to the folder I was dragging the items into.

Perhaps some more details on your setup, version info etc?
Vas
djMot

Post by djMot »

Sorry, should have been more informative.

xplorer3 version = 1.8.0.14 [Unicode] x64
OS = Windows 7 Professional x64

I had been renaming and moving folders last night.  All I can figure is xplorer2 became confused.  I just tried to move a folder this morning in a manner very similar to what I was doing last night and it worked fine.

Strange.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you run xplorer2 in administrator mode (run as administrator) then drag-drop from the outside won't work. Please browse all your folders within xplorer2

ps i think copy/paste will work
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:if you run xplorer2 in administrator mode (run as administrator) then drag-drop from the outside won't work.
Not to contradict the Wisest of the Wise, the Richest of the Rich, and the Befuddled of the Befuddled, but not only does that not especially make sense, it's not true either. Dragging from the desktop always works for me (under Win7 x64) be it Admin Account, Non-Admin Account, UAC, Non-UAC, Run as Admin or Walk as Plebeian.

Is there some fourth state of matter that I'm missing in your alternate universe?  :shrug:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

are you running x2 in admin mode and is your UAC enabled?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Ah, a few tests later, and it should be pointed out that this nonsense only applies if at some stage the main admin account has had a password.

If no admin account password was ever created, it does not apply, to any user.

Once an admin password was created (even if it was subsequently removed and UAC disabled) then it continues to apply.

What a completely inane thing.  Why should anyone's admin status remove access to their own desktop?

Thank God for image backups.  Poof, I can safely live in my unsafe (but properly free) world again.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

clearly MS are trying hard to save you from having your fingers burnt :P
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Saint Origen of Alexandria (c.185 - c.254) was a theologian, philosopher, and devoted Christian of the Alexandrian school. He famously castrated himself so he could tutor women without suspicion.

It's funny how most people's reaction (in our so-called 'enlightened' occidental society) to reading the above would be to laughingly exclaim, "What a nutter!" - and yet no doubt a high proportion of users do it to themselves every day, completely oblivious to not only the real world, but any higher spiritual plane as well.  Do they think they'll attain Sainthood (as if they should want to)?

That said, castration can be useful for calming the nerves, soothing the savage beast, and simplifying personal hygiene.  That's what I get for studying theology for a few years in my youth.  I always liked the Stylites better, from a historical point of view.  It just seems so much more properly acetic.

And here I was going to have a nice relaxing Sunday morning drinking tea and smoking cigarettes waiting for the Grand Prix to start.  Instead I just spent 20 minutes reading a Wikipedia entry: It's like a funky poetry of the damned "gelding, spaying, neutering, fixing, orchiectomy, oophorectomy", and you REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to look it up under Google Images.

Really.

Don't.

I dare ya. :twisted:  (There's this one lad sitting in the bath...)
djMot

Post by djMot »

I have NO idea what a dissertation on castration has anything to do with drag and drop not working.

Let me cut to the chase...

It doesn't matter if you're logged in as Administrator or have UAC turned on or not.  If you can do it in Windows Explorer, you should be able to do the exact same thing in xplorer2.  That's it.  Plain and simple.  Otherwise what's the point in an Explorer replacement utility?

At the very least, if an operation cannot be performed, the application should report the exception, not just sit there doing nothing.  

NIKOS:
Did you get my email with the jpg showing the item icon in the Year column as a part of the troubleshooting I was doing as to why I could rename a folder in the left pane, but not in the right?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

djMot wrote:I have NO idea what a dissertation on castration has anything to do with drag and drop not working.
I was creatively reiterating the stupidity of this limitation - it's what I do. :shrug:

Sometimes it spurs nikos into giving a more rational explanation other than "oh, you just can't do it".

And just for the record, dragging from the desktop will work as Admin if UAC is turned off, but you have to reboot for it to take effect (not just log off).
djMot

Post by djMot »

Kilmatead wrote:... it's what I do. :shrug:
Oh.  I see.

Well anyway, I hope you (everyone) understood my point.  I'm simply NOT going to jump through hoops to make this thing work.  In these days of Windows 7, all I really have to do is open two Explorer windows and slam one into the left side, and the other into the right, and viola!  Instant xplorer2 replacement!

That said, there is more utility to xplorer2 than simple file management.  But if I have to jump through hoops to make it work, or if the program randomly decides it's not going to do what Explorer does right each and every time, well then, um...  

I'd just like to see it do routine file management every bit as competently as Windows does itself.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't run the windows show. If you want to drag drop from your desktop then don't run xplorer2 in administrator mode. Simple
djMot

Post by djMot »

nikos wrote:i don't run the windows show. If you want to drag drop from your desktop then don't run xplorer2 in administrator mode. Simple
I don't, and I wasn't when it happened.

Others injected the administrator mode and UAC stuff into this thread.  But regardless, I still don't see what it matters.  Administrator mode allows you to do more without all the UAC prompts, not less.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

djMot wrote:I don't, and I wasn't when it happened.
You did say in your second post on this thread that the problem seemed to have solved itself - is this still the case? - Nikos brought up the administrator point as it appears to be a common cause in Visa/Win7 drag/drop difficulties.  It seems drag & drop does not work between processes which were started with administrator privileges and normal processes - as Windows Explorer (which is responsible for creating the Desktop) is not an elevated process, therein lies the difficulty for Admins under UAC.  So this quirk of Windows is not localised to x2.

Unless your original issue returns or continues to occur, its ultimate cause may go unknown, as it is not a common problem on the forum.
djMot wrote:Administrator mode allows you to do more without all the UAC prompts, not less.
Not (as outlined above) in this case.  Not having ever encountered this issue (I do not use UAC), it was news to me that apparently it's quite common. :shrug: