xplorer Welcome Screen

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

rjparker1

xplorer Welcome Screen

Post by rjparker1 »

I can't seem to turn it off.

I check the button "Don't show this message again".  I click ok.  I save my settings.  I checked in options, no option for disabling welcome screen.

I close xplorer, then reopen.. same thing.. welcome message appears.

It's *REALLY* annoying to click OK whenever I want to open this program.  I am NOT a new user to the program either, I just upgraded to the latest version..

Is there a registry setting or ini I can modify to keep the welcome message from appearing?

Yes, my program is FULLY registered.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

how do you close xplorer2? use File > Exit
rjparker1

Post by rjparker1 »

nikos wrote:how do you close xplorer2? use File > Exit
Apparently you didn't READ the heading of the POST.

Welcome Screen...

..how do you turn THAT off?

And let's be sensible, if I said I am not a new user, do you REALLY think I don't know how to close a program?  How about a tad more research instead of jumping to conclusions, eh?
mmelo

Post by mmelo »

I believe Nikos probably posed the question to determine if the problem was happening when x2 was loading for the first time in this session or just being awaken from the background.

I did not read his question as sounding dismissive or condescending at all.

Someone really needs to cut back on the caffeine.  :lol:
--
I have vague plans for World Domination
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: xplorer Welcome Screen

Post by Thracx »

rjparker1 wrote:I can't seem to turn it off.
I think that Nikos is trying to determine how you are closing the program since that could matter here - he wasn't trying to accuse you of not knowing how to close a program.

The option to hide the Welcome Screen is saved when the program is closed, but only if the option to save settings is enabled - perhaps you have that option disabled, or perhaps X² is being terminated in an abnormal way.

After checking that box, try using the menus to do  Actions -> Save settings now

This should ensure that your settings are saved.  You can check Tools -> Options -> Save program state on exit  to see how your X² is configured to save it's settings.

If the Welcome Screen still persists, let us know and we can walk you through a few things.  Perhaps something is wrong with your registry (permissions issue?) or maybe you're using different layouts.
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
WWY

Me too... again

Post by WWY »

I just reinstalled Windows and naturally Xplorer2 and I have this problem as well.  I had it before when I got the first release of v2 and I think I emailed Nikos and he resolved it, though I forget how.

I've run it as Admin, done File/Exit, save settings on exit, and it doesn't go away.

I'm OK with a registry change if that all it takes.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Me too... again

Post by Kilmatead »

WWY wrote:I'm OK with a registry change if that all it takes.
If it's the "Tip of the Day" welcome screen you're referring to, go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2_UC.global

and set nTipOfTheDay to 0.

Make sure x2 is completely closed first, using Alt-X to close it (especially if you use the evil "explorer replacement" mode).

Technically none of this should be necessary, but it would seem something (an over zealous 3rd-party firewall?) is interfering with x2's ability to write to its own registry key, which is a little odd.
WWY

Oh, this is perverse

Post by WWY »

Actually it is not the Tip 'o the Day.  But get this, in repeating the steps to get an image of the window, I did NOT click the "Don't show this message again" checkbox (leaving it checked).  I closed Xplorer2, reran it, et viola, no message!  Go figger.

So I am going to guess for those who encounter this in the future (me, for instance) that if you don't check that box off, the message will go away.

(Watch for my next post to find out that that wasn't the solution.)
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Oh, this is perverse

Post by Thracx »

WWY wrote:So I am going to guess ..that if you don't check that box off, the message will go away.
I recall seeing this happen to me before, I believe it was on the Tips of the Day but I could be mistaken.  I also recall being annoyed at an OK or Cancel prompt where both buttons did the same thing.

Glad you (may have) figured it out!  It's annoying, but only happens once per install :roll:
-Thracx

-Fridtjof Nansen
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Ah, I presume this is the offending one:

For this, I know not the registry key, sorry. :shrug:

However, if I might point out:
WWY wrote:I did NOT click the "Don't show this message again" checkbox (leaving it checked).
If you leave that box checked (as you indicated), it means it's supposed to not show it again, so it worked as expected.  If you uncheck the box, that means you want to see it again and again and again.

No?

(In typical Greek fashion, it forms a double-negative as per the activity vs. the text; the text indicates a negative action, but a marked checkbox suggests to the human brain a positive action, yet the marking is itself a negative result.  One wonders how they conquered most of the known world in their time - but one does not wonder how they lost their hold on it after dear Alexander wept his last. :wink:)
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

Kilmatead wrote:...If you leave that box checked...it means it's supposed to not show it again...
I recall the opposite behavior - you need to  uncheck the box to cause it to not show again (contrary to what it says).  I think this is also what WWY is saying, but with all these double negatives and such, I don't think we should fret over misinterpretations by anyone!
-Thracx

-Fridtjof Nansen
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Yeah, I know what you're saying, I'm just suggesting that what the eyes read the brain does not always comprehend.  It happens a lot when people look at pregnancy tests and can count the pennies left in their pockets as their sole wealth in this world (except the unwanted love of a yet-to-be-born hungry mouth).  The brain plays tricks on us - you get the idea. :wink:

And, just for fun, I did a clean re-install having nuked the reg previously, and the checkbox behaves as expected. :shrug:  It might be a case of the forest for the trees, or mass-psychosis, whichever seems more likely to confuse us more.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Kilmatead wrote:For this, I know not the registry key, sorry.
For future reference, this value is bin1OffNotify and should be set to 1 to disable the welcome screen.  (And the irony that the double-negative confusion extends even to the registry setting is not lost upon my befuddled brain.  Nikos ought have his head examined if this approach to logic is "normal" in his world. :D  Note that I said "approach to"... the logic itself is sound, but the contextual application of it is inhuman.)