xplorer2 v2.0

Post by nikos »

I am about to start work on x2 v2 with the following main additions:

docking toolbars for quickview, tree etc
new unlock keys (sorry about that :))
24x24 icons
quick search/filter toolbar
dual registry/INI file settings
vista/7 quick preview panel (instead of native preview)
folder statistics: documents by type (images, videos, text etc)
various small odds and sods

i am also contemplating a panel like w7 windows explorer that will allow setting of attributes, but not quite sure about it

if you have any pressing needs now is the time to speak about it!
roberta_p

Post by roberta_p »

Good Day Nikos,

How about a Portable version?

Best Regards,
Roberta
Good Day from the Land Downunder.....
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

roberta_p wrote:How about a Portable version?
One already exists.  See this on the main site.
roberta_p

Post by roberta_p »

Kilmatead wrote:
roberta_p wrote:How about a Portable version?
One already exists.  See this on the main site.
Good Day Kilmatead,

I know about that option, BUT it would be Far more convenient to get a standard portable build, & Not a specially ordered one...

Thank You,

Best Regards,
Roberta
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Considering that portable builds of licensed software are virtually the definition of "please pirate me", some concessions on the part of the user are to be expected.  I don't quite see how ordering one is somehow inconvenient - it's not like it's done by standard post or anything. :wink:
roberta_p

Post by roberta_p »

Kilmatead wrote:Considering that portable builds of licensed software are virtually the definition of "please pirate me", some concessions on the part of the user are to be expected.  I don't quite see how ordering one is somehow inconvenient - it's not like it's done by standard post or anything. :wink:
Good Day Kilmatead,

I do Not agree that a portable build eases &/or encourages unlicenced usage, Rather the portable build is an Important feature that enhances the product & facilitates its use.

As a matter of fact having a portable version is one of the reasons I recently purchased a site licence for XYplorer Pro.

Best Regards,
Roberta

PS:
I now own, use, & recommend XPlorer2 Pro, XYPlorer Pro, & Total Commander.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the portable version will be converted into the super=duper xplorer2 version which will retail for more but will be more convenient than the current hack of a solution
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

roberta_p wrote:I do Not agree that a portable build eases &/or encourages unlicenced usage,
I was not implying encouragement on the behalf of the user, I was suggesting that making one openly available simply allows others to copy it and distribute it with the usual lack of integrity the internet provides.  This way, if your personal version somehow gets out in the wild, Nikos knows who to blame. :D  There always needs to be some form of copy-protection (be it software or hardware-based) - unless you're requesting a dumbed-down portable version along the lines of x2 Lite (x2 Extra-Lowfat Lite?)
gerarddevos64

bookmark with assingable opposite pain

Post by gerarddevos64 »

Hi Nikos,

I have asked it before, but this is my change to ask it again :D  

I would like to have the option to make bookmarks where the opposite pane can be assigned to. Just like Speedcommander or TotalCommander can do. It would make (my programming) life so much easier.

Kind regards,

Gerard de Vos
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Yippy skippy hi rez icons!  Woo Hoo!

I'm not sure what gerarddevos64 is talking about exactly, but I always thought it would be smart if a bookmark could be opened directly into a second pane.  (Not sure exactly how it would work though...)

EDIT:
Okay here you go Nikos.
Force the menu to be a table.  

Okay okay...  So getting Windows to do this might be like squeezing blood from stone.  And I know that this isn't even on the list...  But it never hurts to ask ;-)
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

Nikos,

Having just gone through it, adding bookmarks and user commands galore, I'd really like the add process let me customize the displayed icon right then and there. I have to add the item and then go back in to organize to let me do just that. That was for 30 bookmarks and some 20 odd user commands. 'course, Kilmatead's going to mention I overlooked the setting to let me do exactly that, and most of the adding's been done at this point, but there will be a new machine ere too long. It's been ever thus.

I'd also like some sort of toggle command for the preview that requires I actively click on a file name before displaying it. Or more to the point, playing it. Having preview on and changing video/music folders can be ... entertaining. And when I move/delete a picture file, I'd really like the preview pane to go blank, rather than display the previous file. I know that's opposite most people's preferences, so I'd just like an option to go my way.

Certainly, having more menu options be directly accessible through direct icon placement on toolbars would be great, rather than using MenuHack ##### kludges. I'm grateful for MenuHack, but a lot of its functionality should find it's way into x2 proper. Not so sure about Menu++. And the advanced options SHOULD show up in the options dialog with all kinds of dire warnings and asterisks marking which settings would require a restart of x2. I'd also tripartite the option screen so that you get option caption, option contents and then option help in each row. A lot of work, but that's why I've paid you the miniscule bucks [G].

Lastly, I am, once again, having problems with x2 detecting NAT drives on startup in Win7. Somewhere along the way, my little Q-Dir trick stopped working to get universal access to drives M, N, O and P. So, upon restart, I have to remember to go into x2 and click on the little expand triangles and watch the folder list expand and immediately contract for all four drives. X2 KNOWS they are there, but are not auto-connected. And I KNOW this is a fundamental W7 issue and NOT your fault. But if it can detect unconnected network drives, maybe you could have a button to connect to all such devices, saving at least three keyclicks. Or better yet, have a setting to DO that on startup.

It's a pretty nit-picky list when you come right down to it. The mark of a good program.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Gary M. Mugford wrote:'course, Kilmatead's going to mention I overlooked the setting to let me do exactly that, and most of the adding's been done at this point, but there will be a new machine ere too long.
Unfortunately there is no setting for this (so I heartily endorse this suggestion), and no work-around (unless you write a script to inject the commands/bookmarks and their icons directly into x2's registry settings - which is easier than you'd think, but I suggest it largely as a recreational pursuit :wink:).

For example:

Code: Select all

$x2BookmarkKey = "HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2_UC.global\Favorites"
RegWrite($x2BookmarkKey, Hex($Last_x2_Index, 2) & "_" & $Name, "REG_SZ", $Link)
RegWrite($x2BookmarkKey & "_icons", $Name, "REG_SZ", $Icon)
However, for the less adventurous, the reg settings from one machine can be applied to another directly (using the Actions -> Export Settings), you don't have to start from scratch each time.  This works for moving from XP to 7 as well as ordinary backup.
Gary M. Mugford wrote:I'd also like some sort of toggle command for the preview that requires I actively click on a file name before displaying it. Or more to the point, playing it.
See this in regards to disabling Tools -> Options -> Window -> Quick Viewer "Start playing media files immediately"
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2011 Apr 24, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
Kuonlun

Suggestion

Post by Kuonlun »

Yes & No prompt window when user accidentally clicked Reset button instead of Close button on Customize Toolbar window.  :shock:
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Looking forward to all these changes. I doubt the "new unlock keys" will improve the situation but nevermind.  :D

One feature I still miss is some "artificial intelligence". There are some people (like me) who assigned x² to shell folders as well. This naturally fails with "Windows Update" and similar folders. Maybe x² could add some whitelist and automagically redirect these requests to explorer.exe?

Just a quick idea, not well-thought yet.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you provide me a full list of all these folders i'll see what i can do