xplorer2 v2.0

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what if x2 also makes a latte machiatto too?
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

nikos wrote:what if x2 also makes a latte machiatto too?
I'll be expecting extra froth, and whipped cream too!
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

You lads just didn't keep the old beta version.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

@meRobs:

Every time x2 comes up for upgrade requests, people endlessly mention the Mass rename section, even though they know alternatives exist, yet they have some strange belief that "integrated is better" - when as even Nikos himself said the last time this came up:
nikos wrote:as I see it the mass renaming bit can get so complex that it deserves a stand alone application, and there are tons of them already
A quick search of the forum or the web will easily turn up at least half-a-dozen dedicated, trusted, and free utilities which all basically do the same thing and provide more features than any one user will likely ever need.  They all integrate well into x2 (either as shell context menu extensions or as User Commands), and all are used and have been recommended by long standing x2 users:

Renamer
Bulk Rename
AwxRename
Flexible Renamer
Ken Rename
The Rename

Not all of these are actively maintained, largely because the science of renaming files hasn't changed that much - so when you've hit the limit of necessity in renaming-utility design, developers naturally move on.  There will always be x2 users who will conservatively cling to the idea that "built-in" means better - but when these dedicated tools already integrate into x2, the end result (and indeed the user-experience) is exactly the same.  All you have to do is try them to see that they do not in any way have to be built-in to a file-manager to function perfectly.  If you can come up with one good argument why "built in is better" (aside from sheer conservative insistence) you'd be doing well.  One certainly can't say "continuity of interface", as Nikos is not known for his intuitive GUI design. :wink:
meRobs

Post by meRobs »

Sorry, I assumed Nikos was serious when he asked for suggestions, even from a newbie who is just getting the hang of things.
If I'd known that requests are likely to get sarcasm, I would have stayed away.

Next time, chaps, be polite enough to just ignore niaive requests.
Thanks
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

No, no, nikos was (and is) serious about soliciting suggestions.

It's just that the long-time time users have no inhibitions adding frivolity to the more serious content, and nikos often responds in kind.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

fgagnon wrote:No, no, nikos was (and is) serious about soliciting suggestions.

It's just that the long-time time users have no inhibitions adding frivolity to the more serious content, and nikos often responds in kind.
Hmmm...  I guess that means no lattes.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Hi meRobs,

To add to what Fred (fgagnon) posted, we at this board are, regular visitors for what-8 years now. That familiarity breeds...well, horseplay. So new visitors may be a little taken aback.

While Nikos is serious about collecting new requests, he also can be seen taking an occasional friendly swipe at the "old hands" (that's what we call ourselves, although our other body parts are just as old).

Of course, it is not meant in earnest.

So please don't mind all this.

Coming to the mass renamer, you would be pleasantly surprised with ReNamer. Check the wiki first (http://www.den4b.com/wiki/ReNamer), which keeps in step with the latest beta (NOT the stable version). Also, ReNamer is fairly active (based on the new requests received). If you are into RegEx or PascalScript, you can make your own renaming rules.

And it can be launched right from x2 (just select all files and then press a shortcut).

Try it, and if you have any issues, you can PM me.

Hope that helps.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

narayan wrote:Also, ReNamer is fairly active...
Bit of an understatement - what's it up to now, its 47th Beta?  (Literally!)  Even Google Chrome didn't last that long.  Seems quite stable, though.
james_k

Wish: enhancement of 'find'

Post by james_k »

about find hyperfilters:

when using 'containing text' group, I'd like to have another window or column showing the occurrence of each find result, together with its line number.

:roll: Just to make my own sarcasm - I know there's a whole bunch of search tools available (freeware too) providing just that, but it would be nice to have it inside X2 anyway - if only to support my laziness

BTW: don't need Latte - a real strong Espresso will do...

James
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Wish: enhancement of 'find'

Post by Brig »

james_k wrote: :roll: Just to make my own sarcasm . . .
But that's no fun for everybody else! :D
james_k wrote: . . . I know there's a whole bunch of search tools available (freeware too) providing just that, but it would be nice to have it inside X2 anyway - if only to support my laziness
I can appreciate the support of laziness argument, but it doesn't seem likely that Nikos will indulge us on this score, precisely for the reason you give. This being the case, let me recommend one of my favorite programs: TextCrawler - Seach and Replace Files (http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/content/textcrawler). It's freeware that's so good and has saved my bacon so many times that I even donated some money to support it.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Absolutely! And it can replace the found string too.
bitchesbrew

support for win7 libraries?

Post by bitchesbrew »

(I tried looking but there is no search for an individual thread so I can't tell if these points have been raised before)

I just moved to win 7 from XP and whilst on XP I had completely stopped using windows explorer (because of xplorer2), I find myself going back to windows explorer in win 7 because it offers little goodies that would be nice to have in xplorer2.

1. The ability to create libraries. (I used to create folder junctions to the same effect - are win 7 libraries the same?)
2. Integrate win 7 favourites with bookmarks (optionally)?
3. There was some mention of search - does the windows search indexer offers APIs to hook into?
4. This one from visual studio: The ability to drag a tab from one pane across to the other pane. (currently I have to use right click on tab | move across)
5. close buttons on the tabs.

Apologies again if I am repeating previous requests.
bmolony

Creating URL Shortcuts

Post by bmolony »

I often create on my desktop and elsewhere shortcuts to web sites. I have always disliked the availability and method used to do this in Windows Explorer. But X2 is almost as bad--the right-click context menu that digs deep into Explorer/New/Shortcut. I sure wish there were a way to add this as an icon on the X2 Toolbar.
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Creating URL Shortcuts

Post by kunkel321 »

bmolony wrote:I often create on my desktop and elsewhere shortcuts to web sites. ....
 I'm a bit off topic here, and this doesn't completely meet you need, but in Chrome you can double-click in the address box (to select the URL) then drag it onto the desktop...  It'll make a link.