Cool thirdparty freebie that works with x2...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cool thirdparty freebie that works with x2...

Post by kunkel321 »

EDIT:  hmmm....  I thought I put this in the "Useful Topics" forum....  
====
I recently learned about DropIt.
http://dropit.sourceforge.net/index.htm
Their description:
A tiny, flexible, hard-working tool to automate sorting and filing data-files and folders.
When you need to organize files, DropIt can eliminate much of the drudgery of searching and manually opening folders and moving files around.
===

Anyway, a while back, Nikos added the ability to move an item to a folder by drag-n-dropping it onto the toolbar button for a bookmark associated with said folder.

I just made a custom command for launching DropIt (see pic).
Then I put the command on one of my toolbars (see arrow in pic).

Now I can drag any file (that I have created a rule for) and drop it on the icon and it will get processed...

DropIt is a tiny program, the memory footprint seems to be less than 1MB, sitting there and less that 2MB while it's processing a file.  It doesn't have to be left running though...  It'll activate when something is dropped onto the command button (or directly onto  DropIt.exe), then terminate itself, so it's not using system resources...   Pretty cool.
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

Kunkel,

Sorry, I seem to be missing something with DropIt!. I have a bunch of bookmark shortcuts on my toolbars and I can right-drag a file and drop it on that icon and choose from the menu all of the commands shown, at least the core ones. There seems to be a second level to this that I'm missing.

Can you explain a little further what DropIt! offers that would make it worth installing?

Sorry for being a brick, GM
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Cool Thanks--I didn't even know about RIGHT-clicking, then drag-n-dropping onto a bookmark!

I'm still learning to use DropIt, and it is yet-to-be-seen if it will be so indespensible as to win a place amongst my always-installed software....  

In answer your question though: besides moving a file or folder to another location, you can also make patterns to compress or extract .zips or .7zs.  Also you can set it up to "Open with" specific apps.  I have a pattern that sends ".chm" files (the old Windows help format) directly to CHM Decoder.  You can also have file patterns to evaluate for meta data in pictures, though I havn't tinkered with that yet.  Lastly, it can do "bulk orders."  Drop a large list of files (such as from your Downloads folder) and they will each get evaluated and processed.

Anyway, there's also a Portable version on the website, so you could play around with that with out actually "installing" anything to your system :)

EXTRA NOTE:  I intended to put this thread on the "Useful x2 Topics" forum, and I can't see how to move it now...  Are one of the site mods are able to move it for me?  Thanks.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

As far as I can tell ... It does not rise to the level of being a special useful x2 topic.  
And you convicted the topic yourself by indicating that you are still evaluating it for full scope of usefulness.  
If enough users agree with you, I will reconsider my decision.  
-fg-
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

fgagnon wrote:As far as I can tell ... It does not rise to the level of being a special useful x2 topic.  
And you convicted the topic yourself by indicating that you are still evaluating it for full scope of usefulness.  
If enough users agree with you, I will reconsider my decision.  
-fg-
 Fair enough  :wink:
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

kunkel321 wrote:In answer your question though: besides moving a file or folder to another location, you can also make patterns to compress or extract .zips or .7zs.  Also you can set it up to "Open with" specific apps.  I have a pattern that sends ".chm" files (the old Windows help format) directly to CHM Decoder.  You can also have file patterns to evaluate for meta data in pictures, though I havn't tinkered with that yet.  Lastly, it can do "bulk orders."  Drop a large list of files (such as from your Downloads folder) and they will each get evaluated and processed.
Ahh, I think I see. It's a single shortcut to a bunch of programs (CHM Decoder, Bulk Processor, 7ZipU.exe, etc.). It's an interesting concept and one that would appeal to me if I was still using a laptop and it's limited screen space. But I actually do have space for individual icons for individual tasks. As a result, DropIt! has less value for me than for others.

For others, TMMV. Still, for limited space users, probably worth a look.

GM
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Gary M. Mugford wrote:... Still, for limited space users, probably worth a look.
 I expect it would also be more useful for people that process a lot of different files in bulk (as oposed to periodically dealing with a one or two files at a time).
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Tools, tools, I like them and evaluate them often. One of the reasons that I use xplorer2.

But not this one DROPIT. I don't like programs that decide for me, what I want to do. If there is a rule, that decides to delete the file, while I thought that I was printing it or zipping it up..... Argghhhh.....
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange