Folder size shows 0 while being calculated

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

Sorry, but changing the -0- does take care of the issue for all just as I said.  I'm assuming something equally silly is not taking its place of course.  

As you've stated, you don't see -0- you see <folder> and then you see the size.  If we change the -0- to <calc> (or heck, even <folder>!) you will continue to see <folder> and then the size just as you do now.  Those of those seeing -0- today will see <calc> (or <folder>) instead of -0-.  And there is no possible way that can be confused with an empty folder.  Problem solved.

I don't disagree with you on the notion of finding root cause and solving it at that level, that's always my preference.  But so far we can't even get nikos to change the -0- so I'm not hopeful for a deeper investigation!
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

I understand what you're saying, but think of it this way: whatever is causing x2 now to display 0 instead of <folder> could again cause x2 to display 0 instead of <calc> or whatever other indicator. That's what I tried to say in my previous post as well.

So asking Nikos to change 0 for something else is... not so helpful, to say at least. Because 0 itself isn't an indicator, but the value which is displayed because of whatever is causing it to display instead of <folder>.

Now, maybe my logic is flawed and Nikos could intervene and clear things up, but I'm pretty sure the solution to this is to track down the glitch that occurs on your system and others'.
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

I don't know the code inside x2 so I can't say whether the use of -0- is deliberate or accidental wandering of the program.  What I can say is it happens to you too if you issue the command twice, so it seems it could be deliberate.  It's certainly repeatable so it shouldn't be hard to correct in whatever fashion that takes.
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

It's true that it happens to me too if I quickly repeat the folder calculation operation, but 0 is displayed just for the folder that is being calculated, not for the rest of yet to be scanned folders.

So unless rushing to delete folders, I don't see the problem. I don't want to sound like I'm telling you what is best practice when deleting folders, but I personally double or triple check before deleting a folder that appears to be empty. I even check the properties of the folder. If you have more empty folders than you can afford to spend time checking if they're actually empty, maybe using a dedicated tool for tracking empty folders would be a better choice.

If operating on folders with sensitive data, you should take special caution when deleting files/folders, not just rely on some rough indicators. And while deleted data can easily be recovered (and I'm not referring to Recycle Bin), sometimes it can be a pain in the ass if you realize you deleted files after you have started making changes on the same partition.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

appyface wrote:What I can say is it happens to you too if you issue the command twice, so it seems it could be deliberate.  It's certainly repeatable...
Just for the record, I can't recreate this at all, and have never seen it (no matter what I try with Ctrl-D). :shrug:

(I just thought I should mention that. Then again, my drives are all SATA (NTFS), no IDE or anything else funny, so mayhap that is a potential cause...)
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

SATA, NTFS here too, in AHCI mode, but I didn't encounter issues before either (in IDE mode).
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

All NTFS, all SATA drives (both 3G and 6G), and AHCI here too.
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

Nikos - thoughts?

I'd be happy to help provide some additional information as to when the infamous false-0 occurs, if needed.
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'll see if this can be changed
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

Thanks nikos!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well now I can't reproduce it either. I had some vague memory of an issue a few versions back but now I only see <folder> during calculation. No quick ctrl+D in a row will show any phantom 0s

at any rate, once the folder calculation has started, pressing <ctrl+D> again will only make matters worse, so it is not advisable to do it

for more feedback you can use <alt+D> folder statistics command

ps note that a 0 could also mean that xplorer2 cannot read from a particular subfolder