Browse flat ONLY the folders no files?

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

Resurrecting an old thread for version 2.x...

I wanted to delete a bunch of empty folders off a removable drive.  I used CTRL-F, folders marked files unmarked, and added contents defined as 0 min and 0 max.  Result list of several hundred folders in scrap pane as expected.

I selected all entries in the scrap pane and clicked 'delete' button.  Imagine my surprise when Windows reports deleting 76.7kb????  System was quiet and there was no other activity to that drive as best as I'm able to determine.  

As there's no recycle bin on this drive I don't know what the tiny file would have been.  desktop.ini or somesuch perhaps.  How could x2 miss such a file?
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I normally use rdempty to remove empty folders... it is part of a set of command line tools from Synesis Software. It is kinda old, from 2005, but works fine.

Another tool I have tried is Remove Empty Directories... this is a Windows program that shows you a list of empty folders before deleting them.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

do you have hidden files enabled or not?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

re: hidden files -

On my XP computer,
When I have Windows'
Folder options... > View tab preference set to
   [x] Hide protected operating system files
then hidden system files (like desktop.ini) do not show in x2's "Contents" count.  (x2 v2.0.0.1 - 32bit)

On my w7 computer, HS files do show in the "Contents" count, even when they don't show in the directory listing. (x2 v2.0.0.1 - 64bit)

whether or not it's set, x2's
Tools > Options...  Show Hidden files and folders
has no effect on the "Contents" count on either computer.
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

I have marked/unmarked options so I can see all files -- that the Windows GUI allows, anyway.  Including those pesky 'hide protected operating system files' (the option is unmarked).

(Bad enough that there are still many many hidden files that can only be revealed from the command shell... and probably more still that I don't know how to track down...)

Regardless, the folder I deleted was a data folder that I created, on a removable drive that is made up entirely of folders and files that I put there manually (i.e. non-bootable non-OS drive single partition drive).  I would not expect to find any files to be there that x2 could not see.

I forgot to mention earlier, this was on a Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit system.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

try view > raw contents menu command
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

I don't see this option in the scrap pane?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sorry this is only for the main window, not for scraps.

I just tried and saw no problems searching with the contents column so I can't tell what's wrong in your case. It could be some wrong search criterion? You can enable the contents column in the scrap to double check what you searched for

for example if you didn't search for folders only but included files, these have 'contents' count 0 by default, so you could have deleted those
appyface
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by appyface »

appyface wrote:I wanted to delete a bunch of empty folders off a removable drive.  I used CTRL-F, folders marked files unmarked, and added contents defined as 0 min and 0 max.  Result list of several hundred folders in scrap pane as expected.
I'm very careful to use the 'clear' button before entering search criteria or loading any saved criteria.  (Maybe that's not necessary in the latter case but can't hurt...)  In any event the above criteria is one of my 'saved searches', I loaded it just now and it's still correct.