Media File Preview Stops Working

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Media File Preview Stops Working

Post by IneedHelp »

First of all, I should say that I'm experiencing this since I started using x2, but I never really gave it much importance. Now, for some reason, I decided to describe this minor issue.

Here's the deal. I select a media file in any pane, let's say an audio file (doesn't matter what format) and then the preview panel displays WMP. If I replay the sound several times, the file can't be previewed anymore. This can be recreated anytime if repeatedly pressing the play button in the WMP preview pane. Then it briefly freezes x2.

Deselecting the file, selecting a totally different file (text file, so that preview pane changes) and then selecting back any media file, WMP still doesn't play them files.

Happens on all systems, on older x2 versions as well. Could be WMP, but I really doubt about it in this case.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I cannot reproduce what you describe.
Hitting PLAY button just toggles repeatedly to PAUSE and back.
[edit (add)] this on the QuickViewer DRAFT tab [/edit]
Nothing hangs playing audio .mp3 files  

WMP 11.0.5721 (from 2006) on XP/sp3 running 32bit x2 v2.0.0.2
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

I understand.

I wouldn't even have mentioned this, but it happens on 3 different systems of mine with 3 different Windows OS versions, so I thought it really is a bug.

I generally tend to believe that if someone else doesn't experience it, then it's a localized issue.

If it is possible, please also test .wav files or any video files and press play/pause frantically.

Thank you.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I get the same (proper) response with .wav files. :shrug:

and, same for .wmv and .avi video files as well.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Ineedhelp,

Same issue over here, exactly how you describe. However, selecting the wav file again results in playing the file, but the controls are just not available anymore.

@fgagnon, use a short wav file and play it from Preview, wait untill it's finished and hit play again, directly after. After 23 times (in my case) x2 freezes for some seconds, afterwards, the media controls in preview are not available anymore.
With another file it starts after 4 times, or even 36 times. If I press the play button just before the file reaches the the end, it freezes faster.
Only restarting x2 will help.
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Hello, rusty.

Thanks for confirming this. I was beginning to wonder if there's something on my systems causing x2 to act this way (because I haven't tested on a virtual PC yet).

A couple more users and we can call it a bug, ey? :D
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

rusty wrote:After 23 times (in my case) x2 freezes for some seconds, afterwards, the media controls in preview are not available anymore.
if you told me that this happened in normal use then i would be alarmed. It seems that you have stumbled on some WMP bug... which version do you have? (WMP)
rusty

Post by rusty »

Using W7 64bit, WMP 12.0.7601.17514.

But to be honest, before IneedHelp reported this issue, I was not aware of it. I'm not playing media files from x2 preview 36 times after eachother on a daily basis ...

:)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

One wonders whether the x64 version of x2 uses the x64 version of WMP or the x86 version of WMP for its rendering?

As one notes that Win7 x64 does not use the x64 version of WMP by default - it always uses the x86 version unless otherwise specified.  This, as one will surmise, also determines the codecs which are used.  And codecs under x64 are not a girlfriend I would trust to mind the finances, no matter which "pack" (or otherwise) you may have installed.

One will also note that if you need to play the same file 36 times in a row, you may have a problem with your human form of memory retention.  :shock:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Interestingly, when x2 "freezes" due to this, and WMP stops working, if you right-click in the quick-viewer (which gives you the WMP context menu) and select "Play/Pause" it will work just fine, though the main "play" button will not.  x2 will also "unfreeze" after that.

Curious. :shrug:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i have the same WMP version 12.0.xxx but for W7 32 bit. If you have 64 bit xplorer2 then most likely the embedded WMP you see in x2 is going to be 64 bit too, and god help you with the codecs. You can try the 32 bit xplorer2 and see if this curiosity is still there
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Tested on 32/64-bit systems with old versions and the newest x2 version, issue's always making an appearance.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it could be that you have some dodgy codec