$49.95 Upgrade from Pro Life Time to Ult Life Time

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

armsys

$49.95 Upgrade from Pro Life Time to Ult Life Time

Post by armsys »

Is $49.95 just and fair to upgrade from Pro Life Time to Ult Life Time given already paying the Pro Life Time upgrade merely 4 months ago?
What if another überUlt version is released a few months later?
Bear in mind, it was advertised free lifte time upgrade in 2006. Based on that promise, I paid for the Xplorer2 Pro license.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you already have professional lifetime cover, you can upgrade it to ultimate for $20 (the difference). So for the total you would need $40. Send me an email for payment instructions
armsys

Post by armsys »

Nikos,
Your newly undocumented enhanced offer is certainly more reasonable and worthy of consideration. Thanks.
dallen50

Post by dallen50 »

I purchased a pro license in January 2011. According to the web site, because my license is over a year old, I am not eligible for any discount! Does this mean that to upgrade to ultimate I need to pay full price for another license??
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

your simplest choise would be to get the professional version, which will cost you just $20 including your upgrade discount. If you want the ultimate just send me the email and we will work something out
CDRMaker

Ultimate Upgrade - Reason's to..

Post by CDRMaker »

Hello everyone...

I believe many folks are missing the obvious.

Nikos' Pro 2.0.0.3 was unfortunately recently hacked even though it
had a pretty good protection scheme.

There are posts on the forum stating this.

If I were Nikos I would be devastated.

Thus, the new Ultimate version with a new, and perhaps better licensing scheme.

Many folks paid for a lifetime license, that, with version 2.0 was no longer a lifetime license and the users had to pay for another license. Either a 1-year or a lifetime.

I believe this angered people and put the pirates into full-on mode to crack 2.x version. Which they did.

I paid for the original a loooooong time ago. I paid the 1 year update to the 2.x's. I have also bought 2 sets of `portable' build editions.

I don't want to imagine what my computer experience would be without x2. I use the portable version extensively at work (no permission to install) and the Pro version at home.

Now there is a Untimate upgrade that will, in time, limit the upgrades made to the Professional version. The Ultimate version has portability, however, there is the portable version for $9.95 for 3 builds, that already does this. Except the Ultimate will run from the local hard drive, and the `portable' will not, and must be run from a share or a thumbdrive.

Nikos has to make part of his living on x2, and he has been damaged by the pirates. If he were a grocier in my town that had his window damaged by vandals, I would gladly help him fix it because he would be a value to my local community.

The Ultimate would work for me because I need a portable version, and a local installed versiom for what I do.

I will gladly upgrade after I use my last portable version.  :D

I would only hope that Nikos could find a way to `protect' the .INI file, so if someone took it out of the installation directory they wouldn't be able to register their own. I would recommend that the installation program grab, in the very least,  the volume lable, serial number "The xxxx-xxxx number you can see with the VOL command" and encrypt this into the INI file, so *if* my thumbdrive gets lost, it would only run on that flash drive and they could not re-install it.

The same with the local installed version. If someone grabs the INI from the directory, it won't work for them.
gufus
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Ultimate Upgrade - Reason's to..

Post by gufus »

CDRMaker wrote:
I would only hope that Nikos could find a way to `protect' the .INI file, so if someone took it out of the installation directory they wouldn't be able to register their own.
Don't you need the X2.LIC file also? (to be registered)
3.1.0.1 ULT [Unicode] x64 11/12/15
CDRMaker

Post by CDRMaker »

Oops...

My ignorance...

I mean the "X2.LIC" file :)
gufus
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gufus »

<grin>
3.1.0.1 ULT [Unicode] x64 11/12/15
armsys

Post by armsys »

armsys wrote:Nikos,
Your newly undocumented enhanced offer is certainly more reasonable and worthy of consideration. Thanks.
Update & Correction
My previous post was wrong. Nikos misled me. It turns out that upgrading my Oct 2011-upgraded Pro Life-Time to Ult Lift-Time will cost me US$40. In my case, Nikos breached his lift-time upgrade promise twice. That's unreasonable and unethical.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the first time I mentioned it you seemed to be happy! If you don't want to pay a penny just use the professional version that was also updated, and that's what your existing lifetime pays for
armsys

Post by armsys »

The core issue here is: there's only tiny difference between Pro & Ult. Both Pro & Ult should never be two products for all honest and practical purposes. For 40 years in the software industry, Xplorer2 is the only product renaming itself into 2 functionally similar products.

On Wed Apr 9, 2008, you announced the upgrade policy change.
Your constantly changing upgrade policy doesn't reflect well your honesty.
FUTURE UPGRADE POLICY
------------------------
The upgrade policy is changing. The free updates as administered in the past four years will no longer be. It is most likely that the next xplorer² upgrade will be charged, should you wish to get it. You can protect yourself against future upgrade costs purchasing the free lifetime upgrades guarantee. For more information and ordering please see this page:
http://zabkat.com/x2up.htm
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if as you say the ultimate version is identical to the professional, then why do you want it? why do you feel short changed? I cannot understand
armsys

Post by armsys »

Amongst others, the Pro version is significantly slower. You know why. The excessive licensing checking slows down the Pro version. You're punishing your genuinely licensed users. That's unfair.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's not true. pro and ultimate are almost identical in speed terms. Try it with identical settings and in identical folders and you will see