Copy/paste directory list

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

unbob

Copy/paste directory list

Post by unbob »

I simply want to copy/paste a directory list to a text file.

I have scoured the manual and this forum but see no way to do this!

Very simple request - what am I missing? There must be a way!

Thx, Rob
CrossX
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrossX »

First select all files, then Edit -> Copy Columns  :wink:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Or, alternatively, if you mean a simple list of all selected files/folders with complete paths, then either individually select each item (or use <Ctrl-A> to select all of the current folder) and then either use <Alt-C> to copy the list into the clipboard, or type:

$ $>

..in the address-bar and press return.  This will open up said list in your default text editor (it defaults to "x2tmplist.txt" in the user's Temp folder).

While this may seem a bit of an odd approach, it's not the sort of thing most users use all the time (plus, our grumpy developer doesn't actually believe anyone would ever need to use this, so he's not amused enough to make it mainstream :wink:).  The true purpose is to be used as a token in user-commands for sending these lists to external utilities, but it works fine for just generating a text file too. :D

Keep in mind that you may also "collect" as many files/folders (even flattened lists) as you wish in a scrap-window and issue the same command(s) to create a single list of objects from multiple locations.
unbob

Post by unbob »

Thanks! That worked - but method was not exactly intuitive.

I was looking for something like "copy directory listing" either under Edit or via context menu. I'll try to remember next time ...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

unbob wrote:...but method was not exactly intuitive
Actually, to be fair, the address-bar method is intuitive, given that (as mentioned) the "$>" token is used for passing a temporary text-file containing the selected Paths + Files/Folders in User-Commands, and using the "$" command prefix on the address-bar is a shortcut for invoking console-commands, thus "$ $>" is the equivalent of typing "x2tmplist.txt" at a command-prompt, which naturally invokes the default "Open" verb from the shell - hence the text-editor result.

Of course, being an "undocumented" token is a bit of a pitfall when it comes to constructing "intuition", but nobody's perfect. :D