Sort and filter on last touch date

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

the mechanic

Sort and filter on last touch date

Post by the mechanic »

Can I filter directories based on the last time I accessed them?  I would love to have a way to automatically filter out directories that are rarely traversed.  I briefly tried XYPlorer and it had a similar feature which was pretty handy.  Some thing like this possible with the current version of xplorer?  If not is it something that could be added?

Thanks!
mech
mechanic
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

If by filter you mean searching for folders via <Ctrl+F> or just wanting to filter the currently viewed contents (<Alt+H>/View -> Visual Filter), the idea is the same - create one or more rules based on the Accessed [S] date (or, indeed, Modified [S], or Created [S] as desired) under Properties.

That is to say, go to View -> Visual Filter -> Rule Based and double-click where it says "Additional Rules", and select from there, filtering for folders as necessary...

It should be noted that NTFS "Accessed" dates are perhaps not the most reliable of elements (i.e., it does not necessarily mean the last time you yourself actually referenced a folder or its contents) - it's somewhat arbitrary.  For a clearer understanding, please see this reference.

And, if I may, you might find a small woefully under-appreciated utility called Modifiche fun to experiment with as a means of sorting out proper folder modification dates (all the ones you see now are probably wrong for a variety of reasons and to a variety of degrees), if such a flavour is to your palate. :wink:  (Note: Modifiche is for Modified [S] column dates/times only, it does not concern itself with the legitimacy of Accessed [S] dates.)
the mechanic

Post by the mechanic »

I tried creating the filter as outlined below, but instead of a date range I selected "During the previous" and set it to one month.  It filtered out everything, even though I had the accessed date column visible and there were several files that had been accessed within 30 days and after 30 days.  One group or the other should have been left.  I tried selecting the "Not" and also different date ranges and no joy.  

Is there a bug or am I doing something wrong?
mechanic
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Were all the other fields of the original <Alt+H> dialog clear, especially the "Named" field (assuming you were looking for any and all objects)?

This simple filter worked fine for me.  Is your rule actually using the "Accessed [S]" property (as it should be), and not "Date Accessed" or any of that sort?
the mechanic

Post by the mechanic »

Kilmatead wrote:Were all the other fields of the original <Alt+H> dialog clear, especially the "Named" field (assuming you were looking for any and all objects)?

This simple filter worked fine for me.  Is your rule actually using the "Accessed [S]" property (as it should be), and not "Date Accessed" or any of that sort?
Yes, everything was cleared. I did name and save the filter I created and added the rule to the predefined in an attempt to get it to work.   Now looking at the screenshot I see that the rule says not, but either way it should have filtered all the files either newer or older than 30 days.  Instead it filtered everything.

mechanic
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

...then why does your "Named:" field contain the words "Accessed in Last Month"?  You are effectively trying to literally match all objects named "*Accessed in Last Month*" of which, I assume, there are none. :wink:

When you save a filter, and it asks you to define a name, you type it in the "Predefined" box, not the "Named" box.  Named must be empty, or at least contain a logical mask like "*.avi", etc - but preferably empty to match everything in this case, for this type of filter.
the mechanic

Post by the mechanic »

Kilmatead wrote:...then why does your "Named:" field contain the words "Accessed in Last Month"?  You are effectively trying to literally match all objects named "*Accessed in Last Month*" of which, I assume, there are none. :wink:

When you save a filter, and it asks you to define a name, you type it in the "Predefined" box, not the "Named" box.  Named must be empty, or at least contain a logical mask like "*.avi", etc - but preferably empty to match everything in this case, for this type of filter.
Arghh!! I thought Named was the name that the filter would be saved with.  I find xplorer to be very flexible and powerful but the configuration is HORRIBLE.  I keep looking for file managers that can offer the same features and possibly follow some kind of traditional conventions when it comes to config.

I mean come on, does Organize really describe the fact that it is the way to get to the filter/set/etc to edit them?  There must be a better way to set up xplorer.  How about a central panel that has each area listed with the possible options?  I don't know of a single other tool that does not have a preferences dialog like that.
mechanic
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Not to rub salt in the wound (well, maybe just a little) - wait until you actually want to delete a predefined filter you saved earlier. :roll:

To be glib, it's enough to say that Nikos is a Jazz-loving Greek, so his conceptions of rational and logical will rarely coincide with everyone else's.  While that sounds like a joke, the reality is that I too have often questioned many of the downright backward ways that x2 goes out of its way to befuddle the user.  The trouble is, not only will Nikos simply not accept the notion that things he believes to be normal are completely irrational, the idea of changing any of them now would never actually dawn on him, complain as we may.

But, as with anything, the more you use it, the more you get used to it, without ever really learning to accept it.  On the flipside, adopting "traditional conventions" always leads to a complete lack of character and a vanilla world.  And to be sure, there are more than enough file-managers which fit that particular billing, so if you really want that, it's not that difficult to find.

Unfortunately, I can't be more helpful than that - other than to point out that given the weather you get in Minnesota, the rest of the human race would question your own sense of rationality when it comes to "logical places to call home." :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can overwrite and delete predefined filters easily. The delete part may be a bit unclear so here is the procedure. Select the filter from the PREDEFINED list, hit CLEAR button, then click on SAVE button. Not extremely intuitive but it saves us for separate delete buttons
the mechanic

Post by the mechanic »

Kilmatead wrote: Unfortunately, I can't be more helpful than that - other than to point out that given the weather you get in Minnesota, the rest of the human race would question your own sense of rationality when it comes to "logical places to call home." :wink:
LOL, you got me there.  As I sit here we had our first, of many to come, freeze last night.   Even worse, back on the 4th of October my home town (in northern MN) received 14 inches of snow.

With that in mind I guess I will have plenty of time to figure out xplorer2's quirks.  :-)
mechanic
the mechanic

Post by the mechanic »

nikos wrote:you can overwrite and delete predefined filters easily. The delete part may be a bit unclear so here is the procedure. Select the filter from the PREDEFINED list, hit CLEAR button, then click on SAVE button. Not extremely intuitive but it saves us for separate delete buttons
So it begs the question, why is it important to save us from a delete button?
mechanic
TKC285

Delete the predifined rule

Post by TKC285 »

It takes me two hours to find this method. one hour to search on the manual and one hour to search on the forum.  :evil:

Please add a delete button and reduce such unnecessary pain.